Other 'Classics' figures

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by butz, Jun 10, 2006.

1. butz

butz slippery when wet

Like other fans, I'm excited for the upcoming Classics line, and I'm starting to wonder, what other, non G1 TFs would I like to see get the Classics treatment (ie, an updated figure)? We've already seen Beast Wars figures (BW 10th Megs and Primal) get updates, and its got me itching to see what they could do with others.
    I'll break down what figures/characters I'd like to see updated by the lines they are from:

G2: this is a tough one because a lot of G2 figures were just repainted G1 figures (SS, Grimlock, Prime before getting upgraded, etc). I think I'd just limit it down to tank Megatron (Hero Megs was pertty cool, but I've always felt they could do a lot better for this version of Megs) and possibly Bludgeon (yeah, he didn't have a figure for G2, but he was really cool in the G2 comic).

Beast Wars: Terrorsaur, Scopinok, and Blackarachnia. Deluxe versions of Terrorsaur and Scorpy (basic always felt way too small for TS). They should be patterend very closely after how they updated 10th Megatron (based largely on their first forms and animation models, with a slightly new look). Blackarachnia on the other hand I'd like to see downsized to a basic (or otherwise made to not look as large as the other deluxes- more sleek, perhaps?) Theres probably several others I could come up with, but those 3 are the main ones after the 10th figures- and I really don't want to see them try to update any of the Transmetals (unless you count Ravage?)

Beast Machines: Oh, wow... so many... lets start with Megatron, dragon/cloak form. First off, it should probably be a voyager (and not a really small deluxe passed off as a mega). Do for the Dragon form what they did on the 10th figure for the T-rex form (only bigger). The arm/helmet thingy should be separate, not molded as part of the figure itself. I really doubt they'd take as many shortcuts this time around as they did for the original BM figure.
    Next up, Rattrap. Needs to be small; a basic. We've seen a lot of badass basics in the last few lines- I'm confident they could take his BM design and do something cool with it as a basic.
    Nightscream; once again small. Considering most of his size should be his wings, I'd settle for a deluxe size class. Giving a new version appropriate colors this time around would also help out a lot.
    Tankor; the original (mega sized) was one of my favorite figures from the whole line, despite not eally looking like the show. Nonetheless, I'd like an update- he needs to be huge. Voyager sized, with hulking proportions. Give it enough nods to the original designs and I think we'd have a sweet looking figure.
    Last one for BMs, Cheetor. Despite not looking like the show (didn't care much for the show model anyhow) I really liked the first BM Cheetor figure, but it was too damned elongated to fit in with the others in the line. Lets shoot for a deluxe this time- aim for a sleek and somewhat elongated look, like the original but not as extreme. No stupid sword-grabbing/articulation-limiting action features like the nightslash version, and lets stick with the colors from first figure (mega) as much as possible.

Armada: Starscream is the first to come to mind. The design looked sweet on paper, but the actual figure was pretty weak. Lets go for a deluxe on this one. Ditch the ridiculous back end thing in robot mode- either no minicon gimmick or a newer, less intrusive one (see bendy Prime) would help alleviate this problem. Next up, lets fix his wing-sword. It should be thinner (not thick enough to practically be a club)- think E. Starscream's wings.
    Actually, beyond that, theres too many Armada figures I'd like to see revisited with better figures- Hotshot, Scavenger, even A. Megatron I'd like to see get a makeover. I'd even love to see a smaller Red Alert figure (deluxe).

Well, thats about all for now- Cyb and Energon I either can't think of any or don't care enough (too recent). What about you guys? Who would you give the Classics treatment to??

2. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

This is a question, rather than a criticism: given that the stated reason for the Classics line was to give us fans G1 figures with modern figure techniques, why would all of those other figures you've mentioned merit such an update? Wasn't their "modern" treatment the first one they got?

I could see a lower-scale masterpiece line, I suppose, but would the sales be there to justifiy the expenditure of the new molds for such a line?

I dunno, but especially given the amount of reimagining that's taking place, the more modern characters don't seem to fit. The characters from Armada on especially don't rate updates IMO. Perhaps more likely would be an additional Beast Wars series, especially given the time travel elements. Who knows what'll happen after the movie.

3. butz

butz slippery when wet

Emphasis is more on the older stuff (Beast era). I threw Armada in mostly because many of the figures feel like steps backwards rather than forwards. Its more of a "what would you like to see" question rather than actually thinking they'd do it. A chance to vent about figures you'd like to see done better (not that they were all that bad to begin with).

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I'd say stick to G1. Everything else is just too new, too fresh already. The next G1 figures should be Tracks, Blitzwing, Jazz, Prowl, and then we'll say another Dinobot.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    curious. why'd tracks be ahead of guys who were the intial ark crew. there were hella lot of cars in that.

i'd think if you were going to choose S2 guys, itd be a different alt mode like either 'ferno or grapple, neither of whom were in S1 despite having unique mold amongst cars.

i would KILL to see a classics omega vs devy mega gift set.

6. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I want to see Hound, Trailbreaker, Mirage, Jazz and Skyfire.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd like to see a Classics Ultra Magnus that looked like his super mode, only done without a trailer. And not the white Prime repaint that makes me yawn.

And I'd like to finally see the Classics Jetfire that's on the schedule. I want to see if it's as good as the Titanium!

As for non-G1, Deluxe Classics Rattrap and Waspinator would rock the casbah. Rattrap would need lots of random explosive devices on his person, and Waspinator would need to be able to compress into a cube and drag himself to CR tank! And Voyager Classic Inferno, with bigger blender butt action.

8. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    Tracks was the most important car TF in season 2; which would make sense to have him get the classics treament; although, I feel this has already been done with Alternators/Binaltechs.

The above comments would also apply to Hound who arguably was used more often than Jazz and Prowl in season 1.

I would rather that they pass on Mirage and give another character the "classics" treatment, only beacuse Robot Masters updated him already. Granted, the mold is not the best, but it suits the Classics line-up.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    no way, you HAVE to do a mirage.

he's the only formula race car.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    How about a classics Laser Rod Prime? G2, so it's on topic. Plus, the original is kinda hollow, and all the screws are too visible in robot mode. He'd still need his sword and double-barreled handgun.

11. Wheels

Wheels Cammy's Boy Toy

For me, I'd say most, if not all, of the new G1 Movie characters, simply because most of thier toys sucks, too blocky or not even in the ball park. Up for grabs would be Kup, Scourge, Cyclonus, Arcee, Springer, Blurr, Ultra Magnus, and of course Galvatron, but not a repaint of Megs.

12. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I really want a Wheeljack. A proper Wheeljack, with G1 based alt mode and transformation. A wheeljack who's an autobot, and who's box is labelled as Wheeljack, not Downshift.

Also, if they do Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, they have to be differnt molds, with similar alt modes.

Other than that, all I'm gonna say is: Keep your filthy meat formers out of my Classics! :stick: 

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah! frickin wheeljack!

14. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd like to see an update of the Pretenders. Now before you all light your torches and grab your pitchforks, hear me out.

Pretenders were a unique and clever idea for TF's. (that was flushed out better in Japane than here) But, the technology was limited back then and we wound up with lackluster bots in stiff, lame shells.

Given what can be done today, a basic sized toy could be covered by a shell that has excellent articulation as a Voyager sized figure. There would be no reason to believe that the bot wouldn't have a believable alt mode with accessories that would serve a weapons for the shell.

All in all, it would make for some very cool toys that could pave the way for some fan favorites like Bludgeon, Catilla, and Thunderwing as well as working some Beast Wars guys into the line. (Rattrap with a real looking rat shell that hid a fast, sewer-rippin Dragster that TF'ed into our favorite wisecrackin bot.) :cool: 

15. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been thinking about the same kind of thing a bit lately. There are some figures that could really use a Classics-style updating. Even some of the BW10th toys, specifically Dinobot and Rhinox. Hell, most of the season 1 figures would benefit pretty strongly from redesigning. Not all of course, but a good handful.

16. Devil-Gigatron

Devil-Gigatron Destronger Dark Emperor

Grimlock and the rest of the dinobots! Cyclonus and Scourge(the sweeps too)..... and all of the rest of the seekers too.

17. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say that they should stick with G1 for now. I'd like to mainly see most of the S1 'bots done, Blitzwing to go with Astrotrian. And they need to do the rest of the Seekers too... with a remolded version as the conhead squad. Do the Dinobots and than Devastator with each of the Constructicons (each sold serperatly :D  ) as a deluxe sized figure. Also, if they ever decide to do Supers or Supremes for the Classics line (yeah right) I'd love an accurate Omega Suprem... actually, he was already heavily accurate... just give him better articulation and I'd be happy.

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Apparently you missed the Universe Nightslash Cheetor then. He is like the ultimate upgrade for that figure. Sure, he was released in the BM line, but in the wrong colors. The universe release totally catches the look of the cartoon model and fits in size wise with the rest of the bots.

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree to stick with just G1.. Once you've done just about every figure from there, THEN maybe BW redux..

20. Steeljaw

Steeljaw Owner of TF Rebellion.com

I'd ask for a Classics "wheelie" but I don't want to buy another turd in a box. If I wanted that I'd buy another energon Prime.