OTCC Nightbeat Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Philister, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Won this beauty here as a prize at the B.O.T.S. in the Netherlands, so I thought I'd give it a review.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS COLLECTORS CLUB NIGHTBEAT

Nightbeat here is a repaint (with a new head) of the Energon Deluxe figure Hot Shot, so I won't bother with a full review. Just some words on the differences. The colours are pure Nightbeat, no doubt about it. Blue and yellow, flames on the car doors, everything fits together nicely. The Hot Shot figure mold isn't the most posable ever, but it does look pretty nifty and suits Nightbeat well. Nightbeat can, of course, powerlink with Energon powerlink figures such as Hot Shot, as you can see in the pics above.

I don't think there's been a "real" Nightbeat since G1. The name has been used again, but never for the same character. Not so here. This repaint of Energon Hot Shot really brings the G1 detective to life. It looks more like Nightbeat than G1 Nightbeat ever did, especially the head. I love that head. It was done with a lot of eye for detail and looks really great. Nightbeat is an exclusive figure available only for members of the Official Transformers Collectors Club (OTCC) and isn't really supposed to be out yet, but a few Nightbeats were given away as prizes at the B.O.T.S. convention in the Netherlands and that's where I got mine.

So bottom line: Despite the slight limitations of the figure he was made from, this is the best Nightbeat ever. So if you're a fan of Simon Furman's robot detective, you need to get your hands on this one.

Rating: B+

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. omega ranger

omega ranger Well-Known Member

I can't wait to get him. I actually like the A-E-C molds greatly, and Hot Shot was a good mold. Plus powerlinxed with Hot Shot, Powerlinx Nightbeat is awesome (I'll call the combined mode Nightwave). Some may not like them, but this Nightbeat is a good shout-out to a secondary G1 character.

My disappointments are, the car mode is a bit bland, could use some more flames, and changing the color of the blaster to translucent orange instead of white would have gone a little bit better, and the loss of the head antenna was bad, but other than that, I'm real sure I'll get him. Poseability really doesn't matter to me, since the Nightbeat original, as a G1 is a brick (don't have him, but G1's aren't known for posing.....)

It's just too bad his fellow exclusive Seacons didn't have the same awesomeness as Nightbeat. Kudos to you for getting such a good toy early.

3. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pure luck, really. Bought five lottery tickets at the B.O.T.S. Four were busts, but one got me the big score. :drool: 

4. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    I hope I can get this one. I like the color scheme, and the vehicle mode looks :bay :

5. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Still kinda "meh" on him, but since he looks so good in vehicle mode, and since that's how I've been displaying my Classics bots, I MAY pick him up to display in car mode.....maybe.

6. SarahMobius

SarahMobius Adventurer

News Credits:
    Can't wait for Nightbeat ^_^ Not too thrilled he's been delayed so many times >.>
    Thanks for the review!

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was gonna get this guy just along with the Seacons, but I wasn't terribly excited about him. This review has me a little more positive about him, though.

But the OG Nightbeat wasn't that brickish by G1 standards. Ball and socket arms, if I remember right, and that was huge back then.

8. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 Nightbeat was certainly above average in posabilty compared to other G1 figures of that time, but compared to newer toys... well, it's really not fair to make that comparison.

9. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Does anyone else think he looks more like Beachcomber than Nightbeat?

10. KupDidntCThis

KupDidntCThis Autobot Smoke-a-Blunt

i think it lookd great. when i was younger w/ my transformers, i played w/ Nightbeat the most. great repaint on a awesome figure.