Os x Lion

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by bignick1693, Jul 19, 2011.

1. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    the update coming out tomorrow so check the appstore.

2. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Installed this last night on an old MBP and am very impressed. I haven't had a chance to mess around with all of the features, but it is much faster and the small things like fullscreen mode for applications are really excellent. Definitely recommend the update.

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my dad just updated his mac... he was not as impressed.

4. mineraljane

News Credits:
    Anything specific he found disappointing? I've been using it all day today and haven't had any issues nor noticed anything other than significant increases in speed and a decrease in system temperature. For an upgrade from Snow Leopard, it's noticeably improved. I don't really see any negatives.

5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    just got to get used to the new gestures. don't like how safari does the iPhone save your last page thing.

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I donno I kinda find my new MacBook Pro runs slower now, not by much mind you but it definitely feels like they havint worked out all the bugs yet. My biggest worry is usually I like to do a fresh install with a new OS instead of installing over a previous OS.

7. mineraljane

News Credits:
    How old is your MPB? Mine is ancient (nearly four years old) and was having increasing difficulty with even simple multi-tasking like browsing, running torrent clients, and using iTunes simultaneously. It's now running much more quickly and about 8 degrees Celsius cooler. I'm definitely happy and am considering putting off a new computer purchase indefinitely.

Perhaps because my system is so old, the optimizations were more noticeable than would be apparent on a newer, more capable system.

8. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I just got my Mac last week and they said that any one purchased after June 6th can get the upgrade free. How do I do that?

EDIT: Never mind. I got it. Downloading now.

9. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I did an upgrade on the latest MBP, i7 quad. Had lags and general hiccups so decided to do a clean install...world of difference. I love the new features!

10. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Mine has not moved it's download position in 9 hours!!! How long did it take you?

What do you have to do to do a clean install? I have the same model.

EDIT: Ok, I pause the download and resume it and it says around 45min left and downloads abour .03 of a GB... then a few seconds later the time remaining rises exponentially (sometimes to 11 days) then quickly goes to "a few minutes remaining" then the download sticks and doesn't go up anymore. (I have a 10MB connection)

11. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

clean installs will always be better than updates. i might have to check this out...

12. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    This is RIDICULOUS. My download is still stuck and not moving anywhere after 24hrs!!! I'm running a hard line even. What. The. Heck.

13. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I'm on it now and loving it.

I especially love the new gestures, as well as the disappearance of the scroll wheels on stuff. I have been using the Apple Trackpad since I bought my iMac and now it is even more useful to me.

A couple things though, if it's running slow for you, it may be a processor or a RAM thing; Lion needs at least a Dual Core processor to run smoothly and I believe it is recommended for at least 4GB of RAM. Sadly my MacBook that is 6 years old fails in both of those categories. :( 

Also, I can understand why in a way, but I dislike the ending of PPC App support. I can no longer use my Macromedia Fireworks or Dreamweaver on my iMac because of this. :(  Oh well, not like I used them a lot anyway.

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

So since this is not available on a retail disc, how are you guys doing a clean install? Do you just burn an .iso? I would like to update to Lion, but am a bit turned off by not having a retail version available.

15. mineraljane

News Credits:
    You can burn Lion to a DVD or install from a USB flash drive.