Orson Wells & Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Paladin, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Am I mad, or did Michael Bay include an Orson Wells cameo in this summer's blockbuster?!?!!

Let me explain (this is relevant to the plot of the film, but I'm assuming everyone here has seen it so I won't consider it a spoiler)

One of the sound clips Bumblebee plays when he communicates with Sam mentions "...the inanimate vastness of space." I recognize that clip from the infamous "War of the Worlds" broadcast in 1938, one of Orson Wells' most famous roles.

Was this by accident or design???

2. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Never thought about that! Good catch!

I wouldn't doubt that it is by design. If it was purely because of the whole "alien presence" thing or because Wells voiced Unicron, I couldn't say...

3. Autobot Punk

Autobot Punk Punk of the Autobot Type

probly just a tip of the hat to Mr Wells as the great writer and actor he was. And of course to his roll as Unicron, despite his dislike for the series aka that toy movie

4. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

mm

5. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    you know when you start looking hidden meaning like comparing transformers the movie to "the oddessy" pointing out the similaritys between characters and plot points. Heroes and villains trials and confrontations. You wonder if its the writers intention in a grand design for some deeper meaning in dialogue. and however far you seep into that thinking should be taken with a grain of salt.

I believe what you found is unintentional though neat trivia in useing war of the worlds to explain the presense of alien invaders through bumblebee the material is a writers convenience. Orson Welles is a coincidence but its a great connection.

Transformers Movie>bumblebee radio communication>War of the worlds>Orson Welles>The Transformers The Movie

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Love co-winky-dinks that make sense. Even better if Transformers are involved. Can't wait to see fan posts after the TF Movie DVD comes out where we can all replay, freeze-frame and otherwise examine every single frame of the Movie. Sure hope the DVD extras are really fantastic too. Orsen Wells, rest in peace.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I never noticed that,Whta a great tribute to Unicron.

8. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Probly both yah I didn't notice this know I do

9. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

Good catch, man. Kudos!

10. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

No.

...or at least probably not. It's funny how so many people say "I hate those stupid critics trying to read deep meanings and crap in this movie! It's just action!" and then later it's "Could this movie be the modern day version of Oedipus Rex?"

I strongly doubt that the foley artists or writers ever thought this deeply about this movie.