Heavy/Scratch: Origins Megatron Work In Progress

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by autobotx23, Aug 19, 2011.

1. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

08/19/2011: Phase 1-Frame and Flesh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my final commissions will be the Megatron as he appears in the final issue of the Megatron origins comic. I'm really happy with the direction so far. I was about to dive in with styrene for the chest, then backed up and used Apoxie Sculpt after I didn't like my styrene mock up., The arms are also fully functional, just waiting on the "shell" of the parts from the Gundam 1/60 Freedom Gundam and other parts that I will build out of a lil styrene here and there. The arm has a great range of articulation. Both 180 forward/backward and 90 up down, not to mention the shoulder to torso joint is a ratcheting 360 degrees. Of course the wheel and other details you see now will be either sanded off or filled in when he gets further along.

[​IMG]

The head I'm also very happy with. I typically get one side of the head the way I want it and then finish the other side, makes it more mistake proof for me. I'll be cutting the head in half to insert LED's after I hollow it out.

[​IMG]

This is Round 1 of sculpt work on all levels. The chest is much better sanded than the test, but I put more time into that so far than anything else. I think the visor looks perfect, and so far everything seems very close to scale. I think I'll know for certain when I add the shoulders this weekend. I'll be using Gundam parts for that as well, plus some handy dandy styrene. Because his shoulders are so huge, one I get them in place Ill have a better idea if I need to add some width to the chest, or if I'm dead on so far.

For the lower torso I'm working with a funky mix. I'm using the upper thighs from MP Skywarp and the lower legs from a Classics Onslaught mixed with Universe Drop shot. To give you an idea about the height he will be, the the shoulder and arm length is 5 inches. So he's gonna me approaching MP Prime height, even. I know originally I wanted to go with 1/60 Gundam hands, MP Primes big bulky mits seems to fit the cover art better IMO.

Feedback appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

neato!

3. rumble619

rumble619 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Megatron in the Origins story and I know you're going to knock this out of the ball park!!!!!!

4. nemesis_primusX

nemesis_primusX the autobot quick-killer

This is amazing....i love it

5. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

this is gonna be slick

6. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    yessssssss.

7. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

Why is this one of your final commisions? AWSOME custom, BTW!

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Man, I'm gonna try to do it justice. The commissioner has a very real attachment to this series so I'm focused on the details and staying true to the art. I'd like this to be a near exact reproduction.

Cause after this month I won't be accepting any other commissions. The customers who are waiting for product will be filled and from then on I plan on keeping most of my work, with the occasional eBay sale here and there. But no more commissions. No exceptions.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm really excited about seeing your wip on this as well the finished piece, of course. :rock 

10. jicco

jicco TF Customizer

Ebay:
    Neat! I just love your sculpting.