Origins in comic book movie reboots

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OP84, Feb 3, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Whenever people bring up The Incredible Hulk and Punisher: War Zone as "great" examples of how an origin can be shown again on film without spending too much time on it, I always say the same thing; those films were originally sequels to the previous film. I know some won't like to admit it, but The Incredible Hulk's script was written as a sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk and the only thing that was changed in pre-production when Marvel Studios became the only producer on the project, they decided that they wanted a reboot. It was a similar thing that happened with Punisher: War Zone but that was completely out of nowhere as far as I could tell. But I still feel that putting the superhero's origin in a film isn't always a bad thing. For example, you could always approach the superhero in different ways, trying to reinvent and conform to the advancements in technology. I don't care if they show superhero origins a million times for all I care since in the comics, they are always touched upon in flashbacks and reboots. How do you feel about the subject matter.

2. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

An origin story is not a bad thing, but it is when it's one that everyone knows, and have seen on screen before.

Ironically Batman kind of did it backwards. The original movies only showed his origin in flashbacks. It wasn't till Batman Begins that we actually got a full origin on screen.

3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My personal opinion is Spiderman, Superman & Batman never need their orgin told again. They are the most popular heroes in the world & everyone knows their orgins.

4. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

But what if you told it differently?

5. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I always felt this would make a wonderful twist to Spider-man...

Richard Parker was a brilliant man. But lonely. Mostly because of his unhealthy obsession with spiders and alcoholism. Late one night in his lab, he genetically engineered a giant spider... and proceeded to have passionate, awkward sex with it. Months passed, the spider monster still caged in Richard Parker's lab. Then, a miracle happened! Richard's spider monster's eggs hatched! All of them looking like beautiful spiders! Except one. One that reminded him of himself. A human.

Disgusted, Richard Parker left this human child on the door step of his brother Ben while Richard nor his monster spider baby-momma were ever heard from again.

Years pass. Young Peter Parker is in high school and his spider-powers begin to manifest. At the same time, reports of giant spiders are heard from all over New York City!

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I can see Tim Burton doing this.

7. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Um, why not if he had sex with a mutant with spider powers?

8. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I like how they did the origin of Iron Man.They stuck to the same basic origin story,but updated it to the current time period.

9. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Origin stories are good when they're essential to the plot of the movie like Batman Begins. In Batman Begins, we get to see Bruce Wayne change into a hero and the reasons he does so. This particular origin also distinguishes itself from others with its darker and more realistic tone. Rumors about TDKR suggest that events in Batman Begins will be important to the main plot. This is a near-perfect example of an origin story done right. Origin stories are good when they contribute to the main plot, but they fail when they seem just like a short introduction to the character and nothing else.

10. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    My way is far more twisted :D 

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What if Uncle Ben had a sex change to become Aunt May.

12. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

If the movie isnt a reboot then to me an origin story is needed.
    But it could be done like the x men films by having origin be told in prequels.