Originals vs. Reissues - What Do You Do?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CURAMEN, Jul 28, 2010.

1. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    I'll start by saying I collect Transformers, mainly G1 and anything G1-related.

Here's my question...

Do you keep or sell your originals if the reissue comes close to the original?

Take for example the G1 Thrust or Ramjet reissue, I recently acquired these and compared them to the originals that I own and they are close to identical.

Now, I'm debating whether or not to sell all my original G1 Transformers that were reissued and only keeping the reissues in my collection.

What do you do?

2. Eternalm

Eternalm Hasbro owns my Childhood

I honestly have never run into that problem.

I really didn't have a vintage collection before I started collecting as an adult, so the majority of my G1 figures are reissues.

The few vintage toys I do have, I think are unlikely to be reissued at this point, and if they were... I probably wouldn't buy a reissue if I had an original in an acceptable condition. If it was a little beatup or whatever, I'd probably snag a reissue and sell the original.

3. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

Well im in the same boat. If its a space issue i just move them to the attic, but i would never get rid of my originals. Thats just crazy talk

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Once a reissue is released, I always sell the original version of the figure. The originals are nice to have but I'd prefer to own figures that are in tip top shape with no damage at all. Of course, if your original is already in awesome shape, i'd sell or pass on the reissue:2c: 

5. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I'd sell what ever get's the most $$$$$.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've only run into this (so far) with a couple of the cassettes and I've always just sold the originals and kept the reissue.

For future releases, it would depend on the condition of my vintage figure and the cost of the reissue.

7. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    It is also possible to get originals that are in tip top shape with no damage at all

I'm an extremist on this point. :crazy: 
    I want/have only originals within my "official" G1 collection.

Best example:
    [​IMG]

That doesn't stop me from getting KOs or Reissues but they do not replace my originals.
    I see my G1 collection as museum pieces representing a part of TF history. :) 

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  8. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Finding a mint stepper box is next to impossible it seems.

9. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Suits me just fine.
    As long as the toy is minty:

[​IMG]

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I have a mixture in my collection as as i don't normally buy doubles id doubt if run into this problem but if i did id keep both .

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I always keep both, I feel the reissues are just additions to my collection, not replacements. With G1 I always prefer and original anyway. I like to have vintage toys in my G1 collection.

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No doubt you can, but a high price tag comes with those toys as well and that just isn't possible for me since Uncle Sam wants his college money back lol. I'm still saving money for Dinoking and that will probably be my last HUGE Vintage purchase. What a Glorious day that will be:drool: 

13. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    Either is fine by me...I haven't sold anything from the collection so in some rare cases I have reissues right alongside originals.

14. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a fine line for me. Usually all I want is one displayable version of the G1 toy, original or reissue doesn't matter. The deciding factor for me is it depends how much time/money/effort it would take for me to make the G1 presentable.

Example 1: All I had left of my Thundercracker was his junker body. Of course getting the Encore (+ Skywarp!) is a lot easier and probably cheaper in the long run.

Example 2: I dug up my old somewhat-beat Ultra Magnus, but to my surprise had quite a few of his parts too. The debate would've been to either plunk down some quick cash and get the reissue (and a coupla more bucks for a pair of short missiles) OR pick up the last few parts here and there, which aren't that hard to come by. I ended up rebuilding my b-day present from when I turned 6, and it was kinda fun too!

I may sell some of my originals where I already have the reissue, but so far haven't really considered it.