Original Xmen ahead of its time

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by UltraMagnus3786, May 8, 2011.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I'm sure it's been said before, but I just rewatched the Nightcrawler episode and the one where the Xmen have to restore Juggernaut's powers to save his life. Pretty heavy themes-- no cartoon would tackle religion these days like the Nightcrawler episode did. The Juggernaut one had a great parody, as the new Juggernaut fell through a studio called "Banzai Films" where two power rangers are fighting dinosaurs. Even the music hinted at the power rangers theme. Mature themes + hilarious parody = cartoon for kids that was way ahead of its time for the early 90s.

2. bariprime

bariprime Elite Guard Commander

News Credits:
    is there a link for that episode? i would like to watch it

3. UltraMagnus3786

The nightcrawler one was simply called "nightcrawler" on time warner on demand, when I get back home I can check the other one for you.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    When the writers stuck with stripmining the stellar stories of the 60s-80s of the X-men, the cartoon was amazing, but when they started going out on their own storywise, things got... unpleasant.

But yeah, compare the x-men cartoon to the spider-man cartoon that was out at the same time and the difference is pretty apparent.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I felt this way regarding the Transformers G1 episode "God Gambit". They dealt with the worshiping of false gods, and had Jazz explaining that they were just machines. They had rebels claiming that their religion was a lie. If the wrong parent had paid attention to that episode, they would have been hell to pay, especially if they messed with Smurfs, lol

6. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    That "original" X-Men cartoon was probably the best comic cartoon I've ever seen. Not sure if Pryde of the X-Men counts since it never got to spawn its show...

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I’m not trying to disrespect the 90’s X-men cartoon.
    It was ahead of its time in the concepts it explored.

But I really think the mature themes and parody in an animated show was first explored (and to great effect) in Batman: The Animated Series and its subsequent tie-ins and sequels.
    The first time I saw a priest in a cartoon was in Batman: TAS, and Superman: TAS showed a criminal being executed.
    Of course Superman came in and saved the day, but the actual act was in progress.

Then there was the episode of He-man where Mekaneck tried to kill commit suicide because he realized he was the worst sci-fi character in the history of suck.
    The other characters tried to talk him out of it, but then he realized all their compliments were lies and he killed himself anyway.
    The preceding paragraph was not meant to be factual.

Seriously, though, the X-men was making strides to mature stories.
    Even the beginning episode started this theme.
    • Jubilee’s parents rejected her.
    • When she got to the X-mansion the X-men, rather than being ‘Hey, we’re heroes and here’s all our cool powers’ actually appeared kind of sinister.
    • Morph died.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually over time cartoons have tackled less and less heavier themes. Same with sitcoms and after school shows. So, I wouldn't say X-Men was ahead of it's time so much as it was one of the last cartoons willing to "go there". Batman TAS came out the same time and I recall it being even more mature.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I disagree.
    Have you seen Avatar, Justice League Unlimited, Spectacular Spider-man, Transformers: Prime -not to mention X-men: Evolution?
    Hell even the campy Batman: The Brave and the Bold has a pretty high body count.

10. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The old x-men show was fantastic and still holds up today. I still enjoy watching it unlike some other shows that I think are awesome via nostalgia until I actually watch them. The last few years of "kids" shows have been awful, the are starting to come around again with shows like TF prime and Avengers. My nephew who is seven after seeing these shows realises that he is getting short changed by Chowder and it's kind. Which thankfully means i don't have to endure it as much. I can't want for him to get a little older so I can introduce him to this and other classic shows of this calibre.

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Fun fact. Shuki Levi wrote the music to X-Men and Power Rangers. :) 

12. UltraMagnus3786

oh wow nice!

13. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    That reminds me,

Didn't James Lipton of "Inside the Actor's Studio" fame compose the theme for Thundercats?

14. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

X-Men has always been ahead of its time. Especially when they first showed up in the sixties, what with MLK, Malcolm X, and race riots. Suddenly Marvel releases this book about these people (mutants) being feared and hated because they're "different". It dealt with, and still deals with, racism.

I didn't like the show as a kid, but I've rediscovered it as an adult and now I love it. Good, solid work.