Customs: Original Robot Designs

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by AndroidAnchovy, Apr 27, 2018.

1. AndroidAnchovy

AndroidAnchovy Synthetic Fish

Howdy. I've posted in a few different areas, but I wanted to make a new page of just all the robots I've been trying to design for people to see. I'd love some criticism and as many questions as you are interest in asking!

My main goal here is to eventually turn these into figures. They are thought of, from beginning to end, as workable figure designs as well as general designs, as I love to bridge the gap between artwork and toy.

Anyway, here you go!

2. AndroidAnchovy

Let me know if you guys think it's better to post full images or thumbnails. I have a lot to post.

This is Ajax, my Sludge analog.

Ajax.jpg

He has a "normal" mode and a "super" mode inspired by Dinoking, represented partially in this action pose.

AjaxAction.png

• Like Like x 2
  3. AndroidAnchovy

Here is a sketch and rough design of Stenops, my Snarl Analog. These Dinobots are all size accurate to their alt modes, not their robot modes, which I know isn't to everyone's liking, but it makes the designs a bit better I think, allowing the pieces of the dinos to sit better on the bot modes without lackluster kibble.

StenopsDino.jpg

Stenops Bot.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. AndroidAnchovy

Brainsweeper, my mostly original take inspired by Mindwipe. He's a flashy, sleek, metro DJ vampire guy whose bat mode literally has speakers on it. Gotta love a throwback. Bat mode later.

BrainsBot.jpg

A rough draft of his parts use.

BRAINSWEEPMODES.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. AndroidAnchovy

Cliffjumper, as requested by a close friend and fan. He is stocky but lithe, and tough but small. The exhaust forms a shoulder cannon that harkens back to the bazooka he used like... once. Slightly inspired by the wonderful Alternators Bee and Cliffjumper.

Cliff.jpg

I chose to make his vehicle mode a Mercedez Benz G Class. Compact, bulky, and built for general all terrain, but just enough of that "buggy" vibe to call back to his penny racer mode.

Benz.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. AndroidAnchovy

This is a VERY rough sketch of my Defensor. It is not the traditional design, as you may notice.
    These combiner teams and all of my designs in general are all size accurate to their alt modes, not in relation to their bot modes. Some people may not like this, but it makes it fun and interesting to find new ways to combine them all.

Please, ask away about any part of this or them. I'd love to dig deeper into my headcanon.

DEFESNOR.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  7. AndroidAnchovy

So. This is Devastator.... kind of. The more alien parts on him I drew just to play with shapes and draw the earth modes over that, but I am also considering his Cybertronian version in mind. Again, I have some interesting philosophies on Combiners and the whole gestalt mindset thing in general, and that heavily plays into Devy's design. He is tall, lumbering, and more akin to something like a Gladiator-esque Frankenstein's Creature rather than a mass of rage and destruction. The Constructicons destroy things, but are then driven by the urge to rebuild them into something better. This led me to create a more utilitarian Devastator that can roughly utilize the tools of his individual components.

DEVY.png

• Like Like x 3
  8. AndroidAnchovy

So. Here's a weird one. A while back, about a decade ago, I had a long list of several close friends and acquaintances from high school and stuff, and had designed them all as robots with vehicle modes that matched their personalities. This is one of those.

His name is Sidewinder, and he turns into what I can best describe as chopper style motorcycle with some Mad Maxish styles and two snowmobile like treads in place of a rear tire. His robot mode is based off of an old friend named Evan, and is very much a Lockdown-style Renegade, but clearly on the baddie side.

Sidewinder.jpg

And another take on where to store the engine components.

SidewinderChalk.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  9. King Glurch

King Glurch Senpai noticed me

YouTube:
    Are you going to add Rook to Defensor?
    He looks like HFTD Brimstone.

10. AndroidAnchovy

So, when designing a combiner, I like to try and figure out how they are as a team, what they stand for, what their jobs are as individuals and as a group, and lastly, aesthetically how to make them represent their components and themes.

-Superion is sleek, tall, and very sharp. Like Macross meets Big O. Combines traditionally. Emphasis on unity.
    -Bruticus is a literal armored war machine. Combaticons form "armor" for Onslaught. Emphasis on firepower.
    -Defensor is well protected and built like a riot soldier. Very utility-centric combination. Emphasis on self-defense.
    -Devastator is a walking skyscraper. Hulking and unstoppable. Gladiator-Frankenstein-Evangelion. Emphasis on destruction.
    -Computron is daring and logical. Star Wars Super Sentai. Relentless but conservative. Emphasis on movement.
    -Predaking is a sadistic berserker. Razorclaw wears his team like a BDSM Beastmaster. Emphasis on fear.
    -Piranacon is lethargic and unsettling. Slinky and silent. Agile for their size. Emphasis on conservation.
    -Magnaboss is literally Ironhide, Prowl, and Silverbolt submitting themselves to combining experiments.
    -Tripredacus is a rogue scouting team of heavily dangerous Insecticons. Also has a "beast" gestalt.
    -Dinoking is a "super mode" combo of the Dinobots. Incredibly armored, like the AoE Dinos. Emphasis on friggin' everything.

• Like Like x 3
  11. AndroidAnchovy

He was very much part of the inspiration. This guy's dad used to build motorcycles too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    Hmm. Interesting style. Whats your take on Optimus?

• Like Like x 1
  13. AndroidAnchovy

He's interesting to me. I have a very muddy and inconsistent vision for a "serious" version of him that I would include with most of this stuff. I also have a small amount of designs focused on super simplified versions of major characters, but still giving a full conversion, and I had a version of Optimus that became his full cab and trailer with the whole front of the semi turning into his head, but it never made it past a few rough sketches. I felt like I'd like it more than others, but I think I might revisit that.

Optimus, in this headcanon, has been so hard to develop mainly because I see him as sort of a Paul Bunyan Accountant type. He is serious by design, practice, and purpose, but has a physique of someone who is far more active. I tried to stray away from using a semi as his alt mode with mild success, but in the end, I still come back to it.

As I type this, it becomes a bit clearer. I think I've found my alt mode.

1950 GMC Cannonball. Perfect. I imagine him with a rock hauler attachment.

ball.jpg

I might be insane though.

14. AndroidAnchovy

Yo. Constructicons. Very rough and the literal first sketches of them. "Crush", as I called Bonecrusher in the first photo is definitely far off from what I intended, and the final single drawing is far more accurate. I have not yet drawn Hook or Long Haul, but I have a good idea.

Let me know if you have any questions about their designs, these original drawings are less than an inch high, so there isn't a lot of detail here.

IMG_20180501_185430.jpg
    IMG_20180501_185506.jpg
    IMG_20180501_193800.jpg

15. AndroidAnchovy

And hey! I wanted to try and redesign some... less than popular toy designs. This is my first attempt at one.

Any guesses who this looker might be based on?

IMG_20180502_165608.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Porkulus

Porkulus Too Many Hobbies

YouTube:
    When I was a kid, I really liked how "normal" Armada Sideswipe's vehicle mode looked, but the toy never looked cool. I'm glad I steered clear.

Say, why are you posting this in Customs? This falls more under the banner of "art" if you ask me.
    EDIT: OK I re-read the first post.
    However, this still does seem to be a more art-based project than a customs one.

17. AndroidAnchovy

Yah, I wasn't and still am not sure where to put this. It's technically all studies for toy designs, but I guess it is just art right now.

If a mod sees fit to move this, please do so. I'd like to get the hang of where to put ambiguous things like this.

Also, yah. I kind of love the toy but about 85% of that love is the alt mode. I love hella ordinary car modes. I feel like you could redesign this figure with all gimmicks intact and still not slaughter the robot mode.

18. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    That truck for Optimus is GORGEOUS. Please draw him lol