original price tags suprisingly high.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by microclone, Nov 11, 2008.

1. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    original price tags make reissues seem like very good value.

i was browsing through a few youtube UK Tf commercials from the 80's, i got a big suprise, metroplex for eg was 34 Uk pounds, now im not sure what that translated to $ wise back then but after paying $80 or so for encore metroplex he seems like quite a deal even after the mark up price.

tf back then were mighty expensive.

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually do recall TF's being pretty pricey as a kid. I could be wrong but I recall all the boxed smaller TF's like Prowl, Hound, Jazz etc. being from $12-$15 (when the deluxe size now, which are larger, goes for $10-$12). That's why I only ever got mini bots besides birthdays and Christmas.

3. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For being very small toys, they were very expensive. When I got an original Prowl as an adult, the box still had the price tag, which said $11.88. Now I can see why my brother and I did not have very many TFs as kids.

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Yeah, it's quite surprising to look back at the old prices. Makes me feel old when I consider how much more a tenner would get you. When I were a lad, ten pounds were a lot of money. You could spend a weekend in Brighton, buy a woman of easy virtue to spend the time with, and still have change for a sandwich on the train home. Eeee, those were the days.

5. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    back in the day...i put metroplex on layaway at the Base exchange at Langley AFB and mowed yards all summer paying that dude off....$34 was the price on that guy.....thought i would never earn that money to pay him...$5 a pop to mow an acre and half yard in the 80s sucked :thumb s:

best memory of buying a TF though aside from the experience of getting brave maximus....that rocked.....

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I remember getting G1 Megatron for £17.50. Always struck me as an odd price.

7. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I find it very strange that we pay the same prices now as we did 25 years ago. With inflation a deluxe should cost us alot more than it does.

8. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    Doesn't some of the 'same priceness' have to do with differences in raw materials? There's hardly any die cast on current TFs, but G1's had a ton.

Why do I remember G1 cars being ~$10 and jets being ~$12...

Soundwave was like $15 or $20 if memory serves...

It would be interesting for somebody to compile a list of some average prices from way back

If only this picture was bigger...

[​IMG]

9. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember vividly the pricing structure from most big box stores back in the 80's.......Here's a rundown!

minibots - 2.97

combiner limbs/cassette two packs - 5.48

Insecticons - 7.97

deluxe autobots - 9.97

dinobots/combiner set leaders/seekers/deluxe insecticons - 14.97

soundwave/roadbuster - 19.97

optimus prime/megatron/magnus/galvatron/jetfire - 24.97

metroplex - 34.97

trypticon - 39.97

omega supreme/sky lynx - 49.97

fortress maximus - 89.97

Those were prices I got TF figures at either as gifts or bought myself in the 80's from my old local toys r us. I had a lot more than what was listed, but generally gives you an idea what package size pricing went for back then.

-Gregg

10. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I tried cataloging MSRP prices on G1 a year or so ago, but the prices seemed to be all over the place. I've got several packaged G1 toys w/ price tags. Constructions & Throttlebots @ Rose's were $6.97. My Powermaster Slapdash has a Brendle's price tag of $14.97. I'm sure I have more, just can't think of them at the moment.

11. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    Thanks for that Soda. Ah the memories...

12. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:

ah, interesting, like today the UK/USA toy prices are still roughly equivalent number wise, ignoring exchange rates, i suspect that makes them a little easier on the pocket to US buyers. Headmaster size figures in the Uk were about 13 pounds, and now deluxes are around 10, so they are more affordable now for sure.