Original Pencils from G.I.Joe vs. Transformers III #5 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Super_Megatron, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    TFW2005 was able to obtain copies of the original pencils from G.I.Joe vs. Transformers III #5 (of 5) by Alex Milne. You'll notice that many of the pages look quite different from what appeared in the final version of the comic.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Great lookin' stuff :D 

4. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    I can't believe they'd do such a thing. the re drawn stuff looks horrible. they don't even have detail! DDP = DUMB

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need to sit down and compare pages...but aie. :/

Anyone with Photoshop and loads of spare time want to try and do up comparison composites? :D 

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I haven't seen the comic yet.
    Those pages look great though, I was always impressed with Alex.

WOW.

7. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    That looks great!

I haven't received my copy of #5 though. :( 

-airfox

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    :thumb 

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

Who is that TF with the tentacles??

10. TriBlurr

TriBlurr Who am I?

News Credits:
    Thats Serpentor Prime a.k.a. Serpentor + The Matrix.

11. tim seeley

tim seeley Member

Oh man..that is so completley unfair. I didn't want to post, but I can't let that go.
    These pages had to be fixed on the fly, since the book was late, and had to be made to look more consistent. Alex's version of Hawk was totally inconsistent with the previous artists...his style of drawimg people isn;t at all like that of Joe Ng or James Raiz. If Alex had done the whole book, it would have been okay...but it was too glaring. We're already getting complaints about the difference in the art. This was done for a good reason, and not a dumb one.
    TIM SEELEY

12. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Man those are incredible!! I would love to know the story on those pages..

13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Heh, Tim called you out. That's why I like the guy.

Anyway, look at issue 4. You could tell where the previous artist ended and Meline continued. It was a noticable difference. They needed to edit the pages for consistancy purposes.

14. Book of Junon

Book of Junon Banned

Why is it the most powerful leader in Autobot history can never seem to hold onto the Matrix in any comic book? WTF is wrong with the idiots who are writing this crap?

15. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't like that just anyone can grab the matrix and become a Prime, especially when a Prime is already in existence. Other than that I loved this book. The art was excellent! It was DW era excellent! In fact, G.I. Joe vs. Transformers Vol 3 was the best TF book this year in my opinion. I like to read things set in a seperate continuity where anything goes. Please make a Volume 4!

16. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

The payoff with Serpentor Prime and Hawk made that annoyance worth it.

As far as I can tell, most of the changes were to the human character designs, with the exception of Arcee punching Serpentor. I can see why they changed the angle on Arcee, but her head and face look completely off in the final edit -- I would've preferred the original art. Tweaking the humans was necessary, and I liked the rewrite of the final scene with Scarlett and Snake Eyes better than the pencil draft.

-XCN-

17. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    You know what's unfair? taking someone's artwork and mucking around with it, and having the resulting image looking terrible. I am an artist myself, and when I see someone screwing around with another artists work, it makes me upset. if you're going to "fix' someone's work, atleast put some sort of effort into it and try to match their style. What you have there is a few pannels that look like someone scribbled over it in their office. And really, it doesn't look good for you guys. You know that each artist has a different style, so why do you have 3 artists working on one miniseries? I would understand the change of artist if it was an ongoing series, but it is not.
    My only reason for buying Art of War is because I like to support my local artists (Joe and Alex).

18. tim seeley

tim seeley Member

Well, if Alex had been hired to draw the whole thing and we'd had time, no mucking would have occcured. We hired Joe Ng, and Udon, and got several fill ins. No big deal, but it was up to us to keep it consistent. The truth is, we can muck all we want. I've mucked with, and been mucked with. Hawk didn't look like Hawk, Hasbro wanted a slight script change..whatever the reason it had to be done, it was. We've got a lot of readers to consider...if Alex doesn't like this, wait until he works for Marvel or DC.
    TIM

19. markerguru

markerguru tech master TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ok, i see there has been some sort of confusion here. let me see if i can clear things up. i was asked if i would mind sharing some of the art for the book, and i said fine. i more then understand that there are changes that need to be made. i don't mind that. I don't care about the changes that were made, work is work. i thought it would be cool to see the line art for the book, cause i realized that some of the lines didn't show through as much as i liked. so if you think i put this up to discredit you, thats not the case. i can't be held responsible for other peoples opinions. i thanks people who like my work, but there opinion is there own, and not mine. oh and i have worked for marvel and dc doing background art.
    Alex

20. Drive-By

Drive-By Eschew Obfuscation...

I am personally indiffernt on Rob's art. I have seen him do good and bad stuff. Then again I have seen Don do some stuff I didn't like too. So I guess it's all subjective. All I gotta say is atleast it isn't Lifeld. Bah I can't even spell the dude's name right. Meh.