Original Overlord Concept Designs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sol Fury, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

Originally seen at the Japanese TF Image Board

It's the bottom picture. The vehicles are certainly Overlord's, and the robot mode's proportions are the same as the big guy. But... inidividual robot modes for the Giga and Mega vehicles? And take a look at that robot mode head.
    Was Overlord originally meant to be a Megatron?
    (For the record, I can certainly see the individual vehicles originally being planned to have their own robot modes and Overlord be the gestalt. If you look at the prototypes of Godbomber, against the finished product, you can see there was a move at Takara at the time to simplify designs and therefore reduce costs. I think Overlord's individual robot modes were killed for the same reason.)

The other two, incidentally, appear to be Sixshot, with some sort of add ons for each mode, and Liokaiser, with... Deathcobra?

2. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

:peoples:  :sly2:  :eek: 

Daaamn. I loves me my Overlord, but I would have knocked old ladies into oncoming traffic to get him if he had been God/Powermaster Megatron. It makes sense; the jet subbing for the cannon, a PM Megs, or at least lookalike, equivalent to PM OP/Ginrai. Although, Megatron splitting into two robots (or being formed by two robots) would be weird. That would be cool for Overlord, but I think I'd rather Megs just turn into the Tank/Jet/Base.
    I wonder if the two powermasters were originally intended to unlock the individual vehicle->bots like regular PMs.

3. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    eh? this kinda counters the rumor that overlord was originally and autobot design (based on his benign looking face sculpt).

4. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool idea for the Megs, but I was more intrested in the Sixshot. Were those suppose to be 5 nebulons that became the different parts for the 5 alt modes? Most curious would be the T-Rex mode.

I'd love to see both of these explored if Takara Tomy ever have enough yen to brake out a few old molds and give them a facelift.

5. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

that guy in the bottom right does look like megatron.

/statingobvious

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It would make a bit of sense, Prime had a transector body so why not Megatron?

7. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

That sounds quite plausable.

Interesting to see Liokaiser with a helicopter component as well.

Thanks for the pics. :rock  :rock 

8. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    There doesn't seem to be much "kibble" on the figures next to the tank & Jet, and they're blocky. I would assume they are character designs for Giga & Mega engine/'powermaster' figures.
    Love the Megatron head though, Still don't know about Six' Dino mode though, that'd be one big neck.

9. Spearhead

Spearhead NEVER!

Liokaiser having Deathcobra as a part is adressed in the TF: Victory series storyline, nice to see there is a connection to the planning of the toy ^^

10. Jetfireinthesky

Jetfireinthesky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always love seeing the original designs of Transformers. And if that were the head they intended for Overlord were Mega and Giga intended to be Megatron and Galvatron? That would be a cool idea I think.