Original or Reissue?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Runamuck, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Hey, guys. I was just wondering how you can tell the difference between an original and reissue. Namely, the Hasbro reissues.

I know about the child-safe missiles, lack of chrome/silver parts on Inferno and Grapple, but are there any others? I have one reissue...and that is Dirge. And he has "2004" on him. Do all reissues have that year on them?

2. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I've been wondering and uncertain of the same thing.
    I have in my hands here a hasbro reissue Astrotrain and a hasbro reissue Smokescreen. The Astrotrain has 'Hasbro '85 on the underside of the right wing flap and 'Takara Co Ltd '85, China' on the other side. The Smokescreen, however, straight up has 'Hasbro 2002' and 'Takara Co Ltd 2002, China' on his underside.

Thus there very much seems to be inconsistency in whether the dates are mislabeled/from the original, unaltered molds!!!

The astrotrain, of course, is white where his original counterpart was purple, but I wonder if other unaltered ones have original dates, thus making discerning original from reissue difficult.

I just picked up this starscream that I'm 99% sure is original, and yet because he was in such good condition, I still have a shade of a doubt. Can anyone tell me what the reissue starscream has as his date?

EDIT: Ok, I just took a picture to show what I'm saying:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Runamuck

News Credits:
    Yeah, I got an original Skywarp on ebay a few months ago, and he's in great condition. Almost TOO good condition...and his stickers are great. But the years on him are "1980" and "1983", so I assumed he was an original. I also looked at my Dirge, since his was "2004", I just assumed all reissues had a 2000-ish date. Which, further made me think that the Skywarp I had was an original. But, now I'm not so sure...

4. Paradigm-Shift Prime

^^^ yeah, see the picture I just added in. I just don't know what to think.

5. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

one sure fire way to tell, is the pins and screws. where there was once SCREWS, there are now PINS. where therer were once rivit pins, there are now FLAT head pins

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

I'm not sure about this. Are you saying that there should be NO screws on reissues then? Or just that in SOME places where there were screws there's now pins?

Cuz both my reissue Astrotrain and Smokescreen have quite a few screws in them, Smokescreen's you can see in the above picture.

7. Runamuck

News Credits:
    Anyone?

8. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I lucked out here.
    I haven't bought any originals that have a re-issue counterpart since the re-issues came out.

9. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

You can differentiate a Hasbro reissue and the original G1 tf by year and by plastic quality. The reissue Red Alert has a '2002' molded on him, the original has '1980-1983'. Also the plastic they were made off is different, reissue plastic has a more vibrant color, sorta you would find on a toy, while original plastic is muted, sorta like plastic used for models. The overall quality is the same, its just that the plastic feels different and has a different texture.

10. Runamuck

News Credits:
    As far as the year goes, what Paradigm said would seem to suggest otherwise. His reissue Astrotrain doesn't have a recent year on it.

And as far as quality of plastic goes, unfortunately, one cannot determine what the quality of the plastic is when you're buying an "original" off of ebay.

I wish there was a definitive way to tell. :( 

11. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

right. only in some places there were screws now have rivits. like in the fairlady brothers arms. there used to be a large head screw, now there is a flush flat rivit. also, new rivits have heads. you can tella re-issue red alert and sideswipe by the pin that hold the window and roof inplace. it was once only a bar with teeth to hold it in, no it had a head on it that orevents it from folding in all the way.

reissue target masters are now pinned together instead of clips, and you can tell the reissie tapes by the flat head rivots as opposed to the rounded head rivits.

alot of times you will not be able to tell unless you have them both side by side. hard to tell on e-bay auctions. we need to be educated now more than ever

12. Runamuck

News Credits:
    Here are some pics I took of a Bluestreak I just won off of ebay. Can anyone tell me if it's reissue or original?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

telling by the Fairlady sicker on the bumber, and the rasied stickers on the sholder, you got an original. the new rivit on these is the one that holds the arms to the wheels. it would be flat. since the stickers are raised, there is a screw underneath.

14. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And that's a nice original too!

In many cases, missiles are often an indicator. That Starscream on Page 1 seems to be an original judging by the missiles included (re-issue seekers have ridiculously long missiles, at least in this hemisphere).

15. Runamuck

News Credits:
    Yes, but sellers on ebay can still get a reissue, take it out of the box, and just give the toy original weapons and stickers....and try to pass it off as an original. Unfortunately, we have some very dishonest poeple on ebay.

16. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is true :(  I've had similar problems with Lego, where in some cases it is possible to re-create an entire 'vintage' 70s/80s model using nothing but brand-new parts!

17. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yep, I'm afraid, Razorclaw, the DATE argument doesn't work, as my picture on page 1 shows...good thread, hope to learn lots more!

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I can tell that Bluestreak is an original by the mold quality, mainly on the head and face, the lines are crisp. The edges are much more rounded on the reissue, probably due to mold degradation.

19. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

Try this website for good comparisons on some of the toys that have been reissued:
    http://www.tf-1.com/

20. jcard2005

jcard2005 Well-Known Member

I looked at my original Skywarp and has "1980 and "1983" too. But next to that says "Japan."

I then took at look at my reissue Red Alert from Hasbro and says "China 1980,1982. I then got my thrashed Red Alert that I had since I was a kid and says "Japan 1980,1982"

I looked at my original Grapple and says "1980,1982 Japan" while the reissue Inferno says "1980,1982 China"

So I looked at most of my original Transformers and they all say "Japan".

So I would suspect that any Reissue that Hasbro/Takara released was made in China. I would suspect this is also true with the G2 transformers as I have G2 Sideswipe, Grimlock, Slag, Snarl and it says "China". I have yet to see an original Transformer released in the 80's in america with the word "China. All the original TF toys that I have says Japan.

So I think the ones that says "China" are molds that Hasbro/Takara used for the reissues and perhaps for the G2 line.

The Reissue Astrotrain follows this line of reasoning as it shows the original years of the mold but says "China", indicating that it was made in "China". While the orignal one may have the original years on it, but it would say "Japan".

So for me, I usually go by the location of where the toy was made. If it says "Japan" next to or around the years..then it's a good bet that it's an original toy from the 80's. If it says "China", then it was manufactured sometime in the 90's to now.

Hope this helps