Original "I Am Legend" ending

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ra88, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
  2. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the link. I don't know which ending I like better. They each had their ups and downs. How does the book end?

3. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I'll wait to see it on BD in a week and a half.

4. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for the link. I agree, the unused ending was much better. Shame it wasn't used. I know I would have liked the movie a whole lot more if this ending had been used.

5. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    The original movie ending was closer to the book, but still waaay different. Trying not to spoil for anyone, if you really want to know, pm me.

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I disagree. In the theatrical cut, his sacrifice is more of a "Let's do this muthafuckaaa!" blaze of glory...and the girl and her kid go off to summer camp where it's implied humanity will get rid of the vampires by using the blood sample and 'everything's gonna be alright.'

Crap.

In this unused version, Neville clearly realizes that he's the monster, which is the key point of the story. If they could have done that and still worked in an effective way to have Neville die, even though it would have been a different scenario than the book, the movie would have been near perfect. As this one stands, the very ending is still pretty bleh, with him, the girl and the kid driving off into the sunset. Much better than what we got, but still a little short.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    man, that was amazing. I would've paid double to watch the movie in the theater with that ending instead of the one we got. I wasn't planning on getting the dvd release, but if there's a way to play it all the way through with that original ending, I'm there.

8. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So much damn better, although I'm annoyed that this ending sputters out with "driving off into the sunset". How can Neville be smiling like that already? It's like he got over the huge realization of the story in a couple of days.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    it's cuz he realizes he'll be getting laid soon...

10. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I agree that this alternate ending would have made a much better conclusion then what we got. It really shows that Neville is the real monster, just like in the book. It's not perfect, but I definitely like it a lot better.

11. musitards

musitards Banned

I think I prefer the original ending! (At first, I thought he was going to let the creatures eat him to heal them all at once!)

12. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Maybe I have to read the book to understand, but how is he the monster? I mean the creatures we're still killing humans too.

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

In the book, there ain't no resistance camp in Vermont. No random survivors. There isn't anybody. Just Neville. Who goes around killing random members of the now dominant society. He is now the thing that goes bump in the night. The creature they fear.

I think I thought of a way they could have made the movie at least as good, as the book, working with the differences already present in the movie. First, ditch the chick and the kid. That's already screwed up anyway, because the girl was supposed to be one of them sent in to spy on him. The first 2/3 of the movie remains unchanged. Bag the vampire chick, try to find a cure, lose his dog, have the cure start to work like it did...but take it a little further to where the vampire girl actually regains some of her humanity and can interact with Neville. That gives him the contact, the hope, he's been looking for..just before the vamps crash the party.
    Then you take that same alternate ending and nudge it so that not only does he realize that he's now the monster, but that he now had a way to start turning the 'monsters' into one of him. That's an angle even the book didn't tackle. Not sure how to cap it off. Maybe just have a close up of Neville's shocked/despaired face as he sits there with his house burning down around him, with a not too blatant of an explanatory voiceover for the Wal-Mart set. "Yaddayadda..I am Robert Neville..yaddayadda..I am the last survivor..yaddayadda..I am Legend."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  14. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I like the ending we got better, because with this ending, it would be hard for people who never read the book to understand what's going on.

And well, I never got why Neville was supposed to be the monster (even with the hundreds he killed), when the dark-seekers fed from other humans and are extremely violent.

15. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Same here.

BTw what´s up with the depressing endings? i mean RL is already depressing enought. When I go to see a movie I expect to leave felling better, not depressed about some sad ending.

16. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

It's not that I like depressing endings, but faithfulness to great source material. Without the twist ending of the story - Neville realizing "OMG, I am the monster", it's just another vampire story. Or zombie story, in the case of the movie.

And wouldn't just another monster movie honestly be a little tiring?

17. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    This ending was loads better then the garbage ending in theaters.

18. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No, not at all. It completely and clearly explains how will smith's character totally screwed up about the lack of humanity thing, and shows how he finally figured out that HE was the monster, the legend to the darkseekers, like a vampire or something is to normal people. If someone can't figure that out from this ending, they weren't ever going to figure out anything in this movie at all. it requires a little thought, but not everything needs to be bluntly said to the audience(It's ridiculous sometimes depending on the movie).

That said, this ending was LOADS better than the stupid happy boyscout camp crap we got in the theater.

Now the only problem I really have with the movie, is the darkseekers themselves looking a little cartoony. Granted, at least they didn't just stick zombie makeup on some extras, but it seems like there could have been a little more effort put into them.

19. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Seriously, when this movie aired, they needed subtitles in big bold font explaining stuff. The amount of people in my film class who 'Didn't Understand' the film is unbelievable.

20. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No, those people all just need to get an F, for failing to realize that they can use their own imagination to figure crap out.