Original Generation 1 Score to be released on vinyl on March 9 2018

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Jhaynes

Jhaynes Well-Known Member

Just thinking too, maybe missing season 3 tracks will show up on a G.I Joe vinyl.

2. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

News Credits:
  3. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. Bugste81

Bugste81 Ste

Hi has anyone in the UK recieved their Optimus or Megarton version yet. Mine doesn't seem to be moving!

5. nathan_s82

nathan_s82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got my Optimus Version in last night. Cover was split and dented, but Record was just fine.

6. mcppants

mcppants Member

I feel for you - sucks when that happens. I've had vinyl turn up that must have been shaken pretty hard during transit that the sharp edge of the vinyl has ripped through the cover spine/edges. Thankfully not in this case for me. I have seen the odd record store however be very gracious and open the the packaging, take the record out, lay it on top of the inner sleeve and cover, and then put a generic plastic sleeve over the whole thing and package it up. That way it doesn't destroy anything you paid for during transit!

Perhaps they thought with such a collectable item some people would be angry if it was opened for them, as I'm guessing there would be a handful of people who bought this and just want to keep it MIB. Maybe any store would do it if you ask, for future reference. Aah the joys of vinyl collecting...

7. Judgment Day

Judgment Day Energon Extractor No.533

Don't be surprised if there's three total volumes, one for each season that presented us a new theme song for the series.

• Like Like x 1
  8. siccoyote

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did you recieve your ransom demand from royal mail/parcel force yet?

9. Bugste81

Bugste81 Ste

Oh great I have to pay import costs! I'll look forward to the note through the door.

10. siccoyote

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am assuming, if it cost over $22 plus postage, and if records don't get posted a different way, for example stickers don't get taxed.

11. Jhaynes

Yeah your right I didn't think of series 2 and 3 theme tunes both missing. I counted at least 17 missing season 3 tracks so if you add the theme tunes to this a 2nd vinyl is easily possible.
    I just read Robert J Walsh's statement and he said they found everything, and it was all in good condition, so it's just a case of letting the record label know we want these tracks.

12. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

News Credits:
    ..... On CD or digital download ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jhaynes

Yeah I totally agree with that, as I said I'm a DJ from the 90's so all my music was released on vinyl back then to mix with, but I still prefer CD for the car or separates. I seriously don't get the vinyl revival, CD is so much better, vinyl only sounds amazing if you have a 3 grand plus separates system.
    It's strange too vinyl rips that have appeared have pops and clicks on, when you buy a new vinyl these sounds shouldn't appear at all.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

News Credits:
    Exactly. All those pops and clicks make it inferior to me already, let alone that I can't listen to the record when I'm in a train or something ;) 

15. shockwave1

shockwave1 Free to go...to Cybertron

I don't mean to be a pest...Does anyone know if this piece of music heard from the clip below is on the albums?

Thank you.

16. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

I’ve listened to the album a lot, but this doesn’t sound like anything on it.

17. Hans

Hans Secret Agent

News Credits:
    Nope, that's music from season 2, the record only has select tracks from seasons 1 and 3. Unfortunately.

18. CyclonusArmada

CyclonusArmada Member

It's arrived! Currently listening as I transfer it to my Mac and the kid inside of me can't believe I finally have a record album of this music to enjoy!

19. SuperDD

SuperDD Well-Known Member

My Bumblebee arrived from Thinkgeek on 3/14. My Optimus and Megatron editions just arrived this afternoon.

20. CyclonusArmada

CyclonusArmada Member

Well, it's been a surreal experience to dive into this album and finally hear some of this music in an official capacity, in great sounding stereo (for an LP), instead of edited rips the fans made for years off of DVDs, with FX and dips in sound. As a kid, in my naïveté, this was the album I imagined would be available in record stores at some point, right alongside the LP for the animated movie in 1986. So, a part of me feels as if someone traveled back in time to the mid-80's, uncovered copies of a produced-yet-unreleased G1 series soundtrack, brought it forward in time and made it available for sale. Of course, me in 2018 would prefer a CD or digital download. Of course, me in 2018 would prefer all the music for the show. But you know what, it's pretty amazing that I've now got 45 minutes of this music I've known and loved since 1984.

So, regarding the album itself... it's interesting that in the credits for each track there is a notation for season/episode where the cue appears, plus a time code. These are all library tracks and appeared in multiple episodes so I'm not sure whether this is meant to represent the initial use of the specific cue or its most notable appearance? It's also interesting to check out the composer credit and what is credited to Johnny Douglas and to Robert J. Walsh. It was always my impression that all music for season 1 was composed by Johnny Douglas, as it sounds like his music for The Amazing Spiderman, G.I. Joe and Dungeons & Dragons. It seemed to me that the new library cues appearing in season 2 episodes for both TF and G.I. Joe were all by Walsh, as they sounded different in style and tone. Well, apparently Walsh did a number of cues that showed up in season 1, along with a co-composer named Jonathan Merrill, whose name I've never seen before. Walsh is also credited as executive producer on this album.

The sonorous orchestral tracks from season 1 are the highlight for me, but I do still love those synth/pop tracks from season 3. The former represents around 32 minutes of album time, while the latter represents about 13 minutes. Track times are short as expected, some are 19 seconds, 21 seconds, but they flow well together. There is one track on side 2 which is a medley of 3 cues, so I'm surprised this wasn't done with some of the really short ones. It's really great to hear the development of Douglas's own themes for the show, outside of referencing the melodic line of the theme song. I love that heroic brass he adds, along with the low end piano and tons of timpani. Here's hoping for a volume two sometime soon!

• Like Like x 1