Original Generation 1 Score to be released on vinyl on March 9 2018

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

I also hope they continue, definetly want the Japanese soundtrack those were some dope beats.

2. Autobot Daniel

Autobot Daniel The Meme-Inator

Welcome to Hipsterville. :) 

3. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

All are welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chancellor Todd

Chancellor Todd Member

Just got my shipping notification.

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, so sad this is only on vinyl.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Release this shit on cassette and then you're talking.

Kidding.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

No Cold Slither!?! Bah! Cancel my order!

Well here's the deal (from my understanding) back in the 50's-80's an injection molding machine was a pretty big expense. The record companies had them and they controlled a majority of the music market. When cassettes and CDs replaced records into the 90's they still sorta-kinda made vinyl for the "old folks". Purists insisted that analog still had better sound quality than digital, so there was still a sub market.

But eventually as demand dwindled, and production was reduced record press machinery started appearing on the scrap metal and used equipment market. Often for a fraction of their original cost. Also since most of the hardware was non-computerized, they were fairly easy for a skilled hobbyist to repair, and much more robust than more modern equipment. (They really don't make them like they used to)

Soon people discovered that with modern tech and old hardware they could refurb these old vinyl presses rather easily. Suddenly your small time garage band could release a small run of 100-1000 12" disks with less costs than a flight to LA to audition for a big record label. Then people started trading and collecting vinyl just for the hipster cred. "A small band, you've probably never heard of, and I have the vinyl from their live show at Park Slope."

So yeah, vinyl is kinda underground now, cooler than it's been in years (Urban Outfiters was selling 60's style portable record players for years now, I knew they were new because they had modern ports on them.) and I learned about the other stuff because my father/grandfather used to be in the injection molding business for decades and you hear stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    This totally makes sense AND is very cool as well.

I understand why some folks are pissed that there isn't a digital version of this, but the fact that it's an 80's show soundtrack on a retro format is cool in its own way. Hate one, I personally love it!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Autobot Daniel

Autobot Daniel The Meme-Inator

Ah, very cool! Thanks for the explanation!

• Like Like x 1
  10. usernamedustin

usernamedustin 3P Scourgatron KO. Has Die-Cast and Ankle-Tilts.

So awesome this is on vinyl.

11. MrBenjamino

MrBenjamino Professional Goodboy

vinyl isn't injection molded its literally pressed

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I've gotten a chance to listen to a number of tracks (sitting down in front of a record player for 40+ minutes is not something that a dad can do these days lol).

I'm a big Season 3 music fan so obviously the first thing I did was seek out those tracks to give a listen to. There's only 11 Season 3 tracks on the vinyl. My favorite track easily is "Sinister", which is the same music played in the scene of G1 "Rebirth" where Optimus Prime and the Autobots face off against the Decepticon Headmasters and Targetmasters right before Scorponok shows up. I am amazed at how crystal clear the guitar parts shine through (as opposed to the fan funded restoration where, even though it was good, it still suffered from obvious attempts to delete sound effects/voices over the music) and how there's bits that we've NEVER heard before that were always edited on the show (for sake of the scene).

If you're an audiophile like myself, this is quite possibly the greatest release in the history of the franchise's existence. I've wanted nothing more than to have an official soundtrack from the show released, and here we are 30+ years later FINALLY getting it. Even if it's vinyl, it's something, and I'll make do.

• Like Like x 3
  13. TCJJ

TCJJ 111% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Hopefully the reprint is at the originally-quoted price...

It's definitely neat (and now I finally understand how the Side A/Side B thing works as far as how this particular vinyl looks), but it'd still be really nice to actually have the full soundtrack released. I know vinyl is limited but it's pretty disappointing that they finally release the soundtrack officially after all these years and yet it's far from complete. Still a cool collector's item though.

I hope anyone that scalped these dies a horrible death.

I tend to agree. The colours seem almost more along the lines of live-action movie colours, and random things like the "battle damage" on the Prime one are off-putting to me.
    As boring as it might sound, it think I'd have preferred solid colours - red, grey and yellow vinyls - instead of the hodgepodge they came up with.

If it was so irrelevant, they wouldn't have sold 1000 copies in five minutes. Whether or not it's worth your money is up to you.

14. Keldroc

Keldroc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe it could go live at a reasonable hour for West Coasters this time around.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I wonder how long it takes until the vinyl arrives here. I'm curious if all the songs I love are on this record or not and if I need a more extensive release. But I will at least need a better release because I want the season 3 intro and ending theme.

16. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

I’m hoping for some of those groovy tunes from season 1 and the season 2 theme.

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I definitely would want some of those s1 and s2 songs that appeared in s3 as well. But I don't know how to describe them and what they are called. And of course all opening and ending themes.

18. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Has *anyone* received a status update from Enjoy the Ride Records? I know those who purchased the Bumblebee variant from Thinkgeek got updates on their order, but I've got nada on my Prime order. They're probably swamped processing/fulfilling orders.

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Nope, nothing so far.

20. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Ahh, you got me. Like I said, my family's business was injection molding back in the day (dad sold it off to pay for the divorce from wife #2, not that I'm bitter or anything.) a few years ago I looked on eBay for some machines from the company (long since shuttered) out of curiosity. Turns out they're STILL regarded as quality product, and I discovered the "used factory equipment" market. Which was educational for about a minute. (Yet another internet rabbit hole to waste a day on. Nerdgasm)

So the difference is an injection mold will heat the plastic to a viscous state and inject it into a mold at a high pressure. A press will use (I think) a higher pressure to cut a pre existing sheet of plastic (or are they pre-cut to disks already?) and imprint permanently groves into it.

The key to the whole thing is making molds in the first place and I'm not sure how but the cost of that has come WAY down. Either CNC machining, use of low grade recycled metal (not good enough for car parts but work fine for a master mold) or both have apparently made the cost affordable.