Original Generation 1 Score to be released on vinyl on March 9 2018

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

First, don't worry: this thing will, WILL be released on CD at some point. Maybe not available for digital download or anything, and I don't blame them for that (why just make it easier for people to steal your music on a niche product anyway?), but CD for sure at some point. They make just as much money selling to the limited (but dominant, as far as physical music sales go) than they would releasing it in larger quantities but for less overall return (which you'd get with all the downloading, piracy). Were the Transformers not from the 80s, the last of the true vinyl days, I'd see very little point to releasing it in that format. But considering most of us here at in their 40s (at least by the unofficial tallies of the various 'how old are you?' threads here), they're doing the smarted thing: release only 2000 vinyl, guaranteed sell em out, then put out the CD to make a few more pennies.

As far as vinyl goes, it's the same nostalgia as I feel for Transformers...even though I never myself owned a player until the mid 2000s, far before the word hipster was even a thing on the internet. I love the vinyl experience, but of course I'm not going to sit here and convince you records sound better. They sound good, and harken back to an era of when that actually mattered somewhat (and translated in moving more units, making more money). Now, very few bother. But if I were an artist, I'd release vinyl ONLY releases for physical copies, and MP3 download months afterwards. It's just the smart thing to do if you want to capitalize on physical album sales. Very few are buying CDs, and the majority stream. So unless you're touring, you're relying on merch. Vinyl is the way to go.

The biggest thing that makes the anti-vinyl "you're a hipster" crowd correct is this: this album was most likely completely digitally remastered ANYWAY, cleaned up and all that, and then they're pressing a digital recording to an analog medium. That's nothing new: most new bands are doing this with the exception of a few like RHCP (where they keep the recording process as analog as possible, using tape), but nobody can convince me, a vinyl fan, that the vinyl will sound better than a CD for this soundtrack when, like I said, it's most likely digitally recorded in the first place. But this is about making money, and the vinyl will do that for them. I hope to get mine of Friday, will let you all know how that goes :D 

• Like Like x 1
  2. ChuckTurds

ChuckTurds Active Member

I
    I can pretty well guarantee that it will be available digitally, perhaps not officially but if one doesn't mind pirating music that is not otherwise available it will be out there to get.

But if a legitimately acquired soundtrack is a grail item for you, then it might be worth the purchase of a turntable. If Hasbro likes making money though, it will be sold in other formats at some point.

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Well, for vinyl mastering we used to produce our songs in 24bit and 48KHz. For direct to digital you usually only use 44KHz and 16bit.

4. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

...higher bitrates are only required during digital mastering to keep signal-processing artifacts beyond the audible range; for simple playback, 44/16 is sufficient to represent the entire spectrum of human hearing with mathematical perfection...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    If I recall correctly, what we were referring to mastering back then was actually the mixdown. The actual mastering happened then before it was pressed. Old habits of using the wrong word. But they required you to send it in 24bit/48KHz.

• Like Like x 1
  6. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

...likewise: i always conflate both stages, but you’re absolutely correct...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    So, it's March 9th.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Either the website was updated or I did not see it on my last views. But the record is available at noon ET. If I googled that correctly, it appears that it will be here at 18:00 (and UK 19:00 I guess?). Which is a bit unfortunate, as I will be on the train at that time heading back home after work. I hope I have sufficient signal...

9. ChuckTurds

ChuckTurds Active Member

I think you need to do the right thing and wait for the next train. Or call in sick.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ChuckTurds

ChuckTurds Active Member

what does everyone think the odds are of this selling out quickly? Any guess on how long be for all stock are gone? I'm going to guess 8 hours.

11. litefoot

litefoot Well-Known Member

It's not going to be sold out by the time he gets off the train!

12. litefoot

litefoot Well-Known Member

If it was 2000 units of the same edition, slowly. But there are three variants of about 700 copies each - so it will sell definitely sell out fast, because the collectors will want one of each.

13. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I still have a trauma from MattyCollector :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just to correct you there, but noon Eastern Time is five hours behind GMT, so noon Eastern equates to 5pm / 1700 UK time.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Ah, my mistake. UK is one hour behind. So it's still 18:00 for me. Damn. I thought upside down and for a moment I thought the record was then already available. But it is still about 2 hours to go.

16. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Thanks for the update! I ordered one. The music collector in me wants this, even if it is vinyl.

18. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine too!

th.jpg

Unfortunately, I won't be a part of it. This long-awaited release deserves better than people fighting over a limited number of copies on an obsolete platform.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

I don't disagree with you. However, I want to support this release in order to facilitate a CD release in the future.

20. Quicky

Quicky TRANSFORM and ROLL OUT!!!

Ebay:
    Thinkgeek went live. ..just snagged the Bumblebee one...:)