Original G1 Toy Releases

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Auto Morph, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

So nowadays, we get new toys released in waves every few months or whenever (a la the movie figs).

But back in 1984, how and when were the original G1 figures released into toy shops around the world? (I say the world, but this question is mainly aimed at those in the UK, as that's where I'm based, but would be very interested to hear stories from any other country)

Which were the first ones on the shelves? Did some shops get them far in advance of others? When exactly did the first '84 models appear?

Although I am in my 30s now (just), my memory does not go that far back with any degree of accuracy!

2. swampflight

swampflight Banned

A long time ago,way back in 1986.....

The first time I ever saw a Transformer figure was at,(anybody remember?),the first job I ever had at a store called Super-X,(which became Goodings,which went out of business), and it was a GN.1 Swindle and I've been a collector ever since.

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I do remember getting Prime and Starscream for my 8th birthday, bought for me by my grandparents from a shop called Eastgate House (part of the John Lewis chain I beleive)in Peterborough, which would have been back in '86, so the first run '84 toys were still on the shelves 2 years after release... just like movie legends Megatron HA!

Sorry, easy target, couldn't resist.

4. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

First TF I ever saw was Soundwave at a flea market. Had no idea what it was or what TF were, I just knew I wanted it! Didn't get it though. I got Shockwave not long after though.

In the US the toys followed the cartoons pretty closely it seemed. When new cartoons came out I found the toys in the stores.

5. Anthony Adams

Anthony Adams Well-Known Member

I THINK the first TF I ever saw/got was G1 Prime, back in 1989/1990, when I was 4, 5 years old respectively, (mostlikely a christmas/birthday preseant), this was well after the series had ended though, I remember picking up a few/recieving a few over the next few years. I vaguely remember seeing G1 Grimlock in a woolworths store once, but didn't get him, mother didn't have the money with her at the time (£12), I think i was about 6, not sure.

6. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, in the UK, we didn't get a lot of the 1984 TFs initially - most notably Megatron, who was held back until 1985. A few of the Autobot cars were held back as well.

7. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

No clue. I was six in '84. I fell in love with the cartoon and asked Santa for some TF's.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I remember K-Mart being a very common stop for TF's.

9. grune7

grune7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The first ones I remember seeing were the cassettes Rumble, Ravage, Laserbeak and Frenzy at Heck's. My parents wouldn't get them for me, this was before the cartoon was on even. After the cartoon came out they were really hard to find. The next ones I remember seeing and actually the first ones I got were Mixmaster at Hart's and Snarl and Swoop at a little independant toy shop down town. I remember they had a KO Starscream too.

10. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

I grew up in a little redneck town in southwestern Oregon and remember seeing several of the original autobots and Megatron at a Bi-Mart in 1984 around the time the cartoon came out. Prime was my first purchase and is still my favorite TF.

11. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't remember either, but it seems like they weren't released in waves back then..seems like I could just go to the store and they were just all there....but I was 8-10, what did I know?! LOL

12. Master_Maximus

Master_Maximus Unicron's Headmaster

April 1984. A store called Value Village in Elkhorn. They had the original mini-bots, I remember well as that's when I got Huffer and had been hooked since.

13. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Some of the original Autobot cars saw very limited release in the UK in 1984/1985 or so such as Ironhide and Prowl.

And were not widely available until the copper boxed classics line of the ealy 90's.

14. SirToys

SirToys OS Multicolor KO

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I don't remember waves, but there was no internet to explain what waves were or to let me know what other people were getting, maybe I just thought the stores choose what characters to get or were sold out of certain characters.

would be interesting if Hasbro published the old release schedules, as kind of a history of TF thing.

I saved a few of the catalogue pages, I'm sure there's a more complete archive of them out there,

[​IMG]

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Great work guys, keep the comments coming!

I find this stuff really interesting, and not just from a nostalgia point of view. Since this was the first real introduction of TFs into our lives and hey, look where we all are now!

I do disctincly recall watching More Than Meets the Eye on TV for the first time ever one Saturday morning, pointing out to my Dad that they were the same characters on screen that I had been playing with in my room for months beforehand.

So a clue in all of this could be when MTMTE was first broadcast (any UK shedules anyone..?)

Also, quick thought - they toys were advertised on the backs of the Marvel UK comics. Need to check the dates on those...

OK, just checked my issue 1 of the UK comic and there is an advert for TFs in general on page 14, featuring Sideswipe, Bluestreak, Bumblebee, Thundercracker and Rumble. The issue is dated September 1984, so they may have been out a bit prior to that (maybe April as someone mentioned?)

16. fisch

fisch In a room...WITH A MOOSE!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would have to say Soundwave and/or Prime were my first Transformers. I dont really remember a lot of the original purchases, I was only 4 and 5 years old.

Wal-marts and Zayre's (which later became Ames, and was still around in NY as of 2006) were the usual purchase places. Service Merchandise was another. I hated going there.

I remember begging for and getting the Superion gift set at a Walmart, and picking up a 4pack set of micromasters.

I also remember my brother getting the Devastator gift set for his Birthday one year, us sitting there forming devastator and having an Autobot beatdown! He still has OG dinobots Slag, Snarl, and a Ratchet MISB in his room!

Remember opening Ultra Magnus, Metroplex, Sixshot on Christmas day's.

I apparently had a G1 Jazz and Bluesteak as well, dont ever remember playing with them, but I have a weapons set from Jazz and a silver door and a red launcher from BS.

I love that my parents have lived in the same place since 1982!

Goodtimes Goodtimes.

17. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Haha, yeah it's funny how that happens - you distictly recall owning a particular TF at one point during your childhood, but now all that's left is one of their weapons or just mere memories...

I swear I once had the Frenzy and Laserbeak 2 pack, but apart from remembering opening them in the front room one evening with my Dad, I never saw them again. Plus for some reason I still have Grimlock's gun, Hosehead's gun and Ultra Magnus's 2 small white fists. The actual figures themselves are lost forever.

Where they went, I guess only our parents will ever know.

18. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Being a kid then the only thing I noticed was that the toys typically lined up pretty close with the TV introduction of the characters. I think that's one thing that Hasbro could refocus on as I don't think they do that enough anymore.

19. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

I had a Trailbreaker leg and an Ironhide (broken piece, don't remember what though) but after that my brother and I kept better care of tf's we got. He's older so it was probably me that broke them. I don't remember seeing giftsets on the shelf except for Menasor which sat there forever. We had all but Wildrider individually so no dice on getting the giftset. I remember Bruticus pieces being quite prevelant on the pegs too. I always wanted Onslaught but Motormaster was my first choice and the only one of the two I got, until the ENCORE reissue came out.

I remember some toy store, or at least the toy section in a retail store, that had lower aisles so you could see in the next aisle by standing on the risers and I would do that everytime I was there. Maybe TRU had a different setup back then?

20. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Instead of waves with new figures for each assortment, I think toylines were handled more as releasing an entire assortment at a time as the new 'wave'. Take the movie year, the combiner limb assortments and combiner torso assortments showed up first. Later on the movie autobot cars and decepitcon planes assortments, and then city commander assortments, etc.

Then in '87, again the new combiners(technobots & terrocons) showed up right away, but the headmasters came later and Sixshot, Scorponok, and Fort Max were the 'new' toys for the end of the year.

In the first several years of GI Joe (ARAH), I think the full assortments of the single figures were mostly all available from the start, but I do know later on in the late 80s/early 90s they did have 'waves' of the figures.