Original G1 Starscream or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by brownw14, Jan 31, 2012.

1. brownw14

brownw14 New Member

I know this is a pretty common question, but it has been driving me crazy for a couple of days.

I got a G1 (or maybe not) Starscream on ebay last week. His conditions is pretty amazing which makes me wonder if it is an original G1.

The cockpit is grey, projectiles are appropriately sized though the cannons are spring loaded and do fire, color seems pretty on target though not on scratch on him. The main thing I question is the copyright. For lack of a better format, it is:

Hasbro 1980, 1983.
    (insert Japanese here)
    Takara Co Ltd 1980 1983. China

Anyone have any idea what release this was? The appropriately sized projectiles WITH spring loaded firing cannons and the Hasbro logo has me totally baffled. Maybe the body is original but the parts aren't? I thought the original Hasbro release had cannons that did not fire. The missiles aren't long though like the future releases.

Thoughts?

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Well-Known Member

Might be an early 90s Chinese reissue. I have one, I'll check if it matches yours.

3. brownw14

brownw14 New Member

Thanks a lot. On the bright side, if it is a reissue he will give me a refund to avoid negative feedback. I don't have a huge collection or unlimited funds, so I try to be a bit picky with what I buy.

4. KillBot

KillBot Well-Known Member

The reissues are stamped "China". An original G1 would be stamped "Japan"

5. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    this.