Original G1 Collection points for special offers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rizuan76, Apr 18, 2008.

1. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've always been curious as to what kind of stuff do we get when we exchange the collection points in the old G1 toys?

B'coz being in south east asia (s'pore), i don't think those offers ever apply to any other places outside of north america. so when i was a kid in the 80's i was quite envious to those ppl living in the states. it was a very interesting gimmick to sustain a young fan interest in the toyline itself. i think those collection points items must be rarities now.

Anyone here care to shed a few light or maybe share a few stories of the kind of stuffs they got when they x-change those collection points. :) 

2. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I remember right, the mail-away catalog came with some wave 2 figures, offering the omnibots (Overdrive, Downshift and Camshaft) and Powerdasher. The omnibots were very cool, slightly smaller than the G1 cars, powerdasher was a random choice between 2 or 3 different figures. I ended up with the yellow and black drillheaded version. I still have (and cherish) the omnibots. I waited forever to see a reflector offered as a mail-away offer, but never saw it, never knew if it was ever offered.

3. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I believe in the later years of G1 you could mail-away for select figures from the earlier years like Prime.

I also think the American, Japanese and European markets all had differences in mail-away items offered.

4. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

I seem to remember some sort of simple base/playset being offered through the original UK comic. Not sure if it was RP (robot points) -related though???

5. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm..Omnibots & Powerdashers very interesting. heard of em' before but never known much abt them or seen the actual toys. of all the G1 related stuffs they are the least known to me.

In fact the first time dat i've seen pics of em' is in the Dreamwave MTME profile-books (of all place).

6. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I'd post a pic of the catalog but photobucket changed their crap & now I can't upload any pics.

But anyway, you could get Camshaft, Overdrive, Downshift, Reflector, Thundercracker, Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, Ratchet ,Mirage, "The Ultimate Doom" vhs, S.O.S Dinobots vhs & the top secret S.T.A.R.S membership kit with a fold out cardboard control center.

Heh heh S.T.A.R.S! Reminds me of Resident Evil.

7. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

That's what I was going on about up there ^ :thumbs2: 

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i never saw the S.T.A.R.S playset- anyone got it or have pics?

9. Gestalts Vault

Gestalts Vault Well-Known Member

S.T.A.R.S. goes up on ebay every now 'n then.
    Besides Reflector, Ominbots & Powerdashers there was also the Autobot watch called "Time Warrior".
    It really depends which offer sheet you got.
    Reflector had a tiny offer sheet all his own.
    In '87 they had an offer w/ the 6 autobot cars listed above, Reflectore & Thundercracker. Plus Optimus, Megatron, Warpath, Cosmos and Cliffjumper (Though the picture shows Hubcap)

10. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

If no-one beats me to it I can put something up from the comics when I get home in a coupla hours.

11. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I would love to see a return of this program!

Ah, the good ol' days of free toys from the mail man.

12. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    S.T.A.R.S... that's jogging some sort of memory, I'd completely forgotten about that. God that makes me feel old.

Robot points and tech specs always got cut out n kept when I was a kid. 'Course, I always lost them as well, but the intention was there...

13. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/S.T.A.R.S.

I realised I would have to open up probably 50 bagged comics to find the advert for the cardboard Autobot base offer, but luckily there is this pic in the Transformers wiki S.T.A.R.S. entry. There are a couple of pics of the set.

It doesn't seem such a good deal for £4.99 plus 4 robot points looking back. Probably cheaper on eBay now!

14. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whoa dat looks like a cool playset man. even tho it's cardboard but still..a very interesting product. at least if someone doesn't have a Metroplex, they could use that.

(M.A.S.K had a similar sort-of item, a cardboard version of Boulder hill but it's not a mail-away item. at that time in the 80's you can buy it at the 7-11 convenience store)

15. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Ah,got it working.
    Here's the sheet I have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Gestalts Vault

Gestalts Vault Well-Known Member

I have loads. I find 4 types of large ones and 2 types of tiny ones (Likely came with carded figs) for either Reflector or Ominbots. Plus there's a tiny decoys insert/comic.

17. Kenny278

Kenny278 Fort Max fan

In the Uk at one point they had a mail away offer on bumblebee... remember hoping for the pretender BB but it was a G1 I got... but was still happy with it

Was around the time of the gold box reissues, I had collected the arielbots and sent off the points or proof of purchase..

18. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

lol I wonder what would happen if someone sent that form in now.

19. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got my Omnibot Overdrive from that program. I still have him, he's a great little figure. I realy need to spend some time and track down the others.

20. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanx Noisemaze for uploading this. now i know what i've been missing out all these years. a slice of nostalgia.