Original fan watching japanese Headmasters for the 1st time!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Jan 8, 2010.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Greetings. A little backstory leading up to me watching Headmasters is in order for perspective.

Well, I'm an old school fan back from the very beginning of Tfs, wave one and G1S101.

As I progressed as a kid, I absolutely loved TFs. All the way from wave one to the movie, which is a looong time for a kid. Then the movie came out, and it kind messed things up for me. Or, should I say S3 really messed things up for me.

Though I remembered having fun at the movie, and liking my Hot Rod toy alot, I remember really hating most of S3. I don't think a kid can appreciate the self doubting life-crisis Rodimus, and I dont like him now. Back then I detested any sci-fi that looked like it had been designed by some out of touch old dude from the 50s, which most of S3 was. Green aliens in medieval clothing, a robot monster being a giant squid with a metal mouth and spikes, the Quints, it's all there in it's out of touch old man-ness. Many of the stories were just cheesy and featured locales and characters I couldn't care about as a kid. Looking back, I suppose as a lad I felt sort of betrayed by S3, in that it took the robots stuck hiding on earth fighting a war, and turned into bad 1970s sci fi magazine fan stories.

Going back now and watching S3 is a more interesting affair, and although I still think it was a TERRIBLE decision for the franchise, still think most of the "futuristic" designs look like something from the 50s, and still hate S3 Rodimus, it's apparent that they were on some level trying to tell sci fi stories, most of the eps were a chore to get through now, but some are alot of fun, like Fight or Flee or Ultimate Weapon.

Didn't see Rebirth as a kid, seems terrible now with more cheesy out of touch locale and designs.

So, anyway, I think that long winded story was necessary to explain why FINALLY starting up Headmasters is kind of a big deal to me. I just watched all of my TF boxset, so the timing is great.

4 episodes in and I LOVE it so far! It really feels like a hidden treasure of G1 eps I never saw, but I like them ALOT more so far than any of S3! It feels much more traditional, the new robot designs look so much more like TFs than the 86 movie designs, it just FEELS alot more like S1 or 2 than S3. It does a great job of blending the movie era stuff with the traditional earth stories by having different teams stationed, and Sixshot is my favorite "new" G1 character! He's awesome! I love alot of the "new" characters, particularly some of the Targetmasters, cool, traditional designs.This is a Rodimus I like. He seems matured by the events of the movie, confident, more serious and stable, ready to fight. I love that the some of the "dead" characters are here, easily explained by them not turning gray like Prime, so only heavily damaged.

Now, granted, it's a slightly wonky translation, but it's good enough. I understand what's happening, and anytime it gets too weird I just substitute words in my brain.

I'm a fan of (good) anime so some of the jap style of humor in the eps doesn't bug me at all and is no way as bad as RID.

I haven't had one single moment of cringing unlike MOST of S3. I like the slightly more violent take on the show. I like that it's very battle oriented. I like that they are using Cybertron and Earth alot. I like (love) that there's no Quints.

The concept of the headmasters being small cybertronian transformers that use large exo suit bodies is 1,000,000,000,000,000 times cooler than than the ultra-lame nebulons.

So far I'm loving this, and it's a strange, exciting nostalgic experience. It's like after watching so many different continuities (RID, Armada trilogy, movie, animated, etc) I've found the "real" TF animation sequel. One could actually take 5 faces of Darkness, The Return of Optimus Prime, eliminate anything inbetween and go straight into Headmasters!

I'm excited because now I can draw from this large new cast of characters and into the future, and get into alot of the characters I see referenced but never was truly introduced to. I guess its like I just got a brand new G1 sequel! Pardon my excitement and rambling!

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, the earliest episodes of Headmasters can really excite an old fan! Certainly, if you're only four episodes in, you're really at the point where it feels "like G1, but turned up a notch". That fades pretty quickly after about episode 10, though, and with a minimum of spoilers, though, I reckon you'll be cringing like the dickens later, as it just gets dumber and dumber. But unlike the dumbness of something like RiD, it's terribly po-faced - RiD *knew* it was being silly and enjoyed itself, whereas Headmasters expects you to take the giant walking robot-eating plant-monster seriously, goshdangit. They visit a LOT of stock sci-fi planets (the bee-man planet, the planet of tree-dwelling forest-people, the ancient Greek planet...), and the whole "tiny robots" thing loses credibility when they start joining their hands in a circle of friendship to boost their energy (literally). Regardless of all that, though - your reaction was the same as my own when I first watched Headmasters, and though it degrades as it goes along, I will still always consider it at the very least a "guilty pleasure". :) 

3. Optimus_Khan

Optimus_Khan Well-Known Member

I really liked it when I watched it. For me it's the true end of G1 since Rebirth was so terrible that I needed something that actually gave me closure which it did. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Are you watching the proper dub, or the crappy one where they use names like Blaster and Metroplex instead of Billy and Phillip?

5. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I don't think there is a proper dub, its either that or original Japanese with subtitles.

6. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I love season 3 a lot, I more or less hate Rebirth though so in my mind rebirth never happend and I go straight to Headmasters.
    I dont enjoy it nearly as much as season 3 though but then again I love the quints, but to each their own.
    I definitly agree with your opinions regarding Headmasters and Targetmasters, I do not like puny flesh creatures being an integral part of a Transformer at all.
    I cannot take the dub seriously at all though, but it is so hilarious so it's okay :D 
    Too bad they made Cyclonus and Scourge into comic relief though :/

7. nelodiavolo

nelodiavolo Transformer Nerd

News Credits:
    This is something that I am greatly interested in! The ending of Season 4, left me wanting more from that era. The headmaster concept was cool! They should bring it back to the Tf toy lines for sure.

8. StephX77

StephX77 Well-Known Member

where can I watch these episodes or get them?

9. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

I bought the headmasters DVD set from madman.com.au

Worth every penny, comes with the StarTV dubs or subtitled.