Original Concepts In The Movieverse

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Aernaroth, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I was thinking to myself recently, and I found out that, for all the concepts, plot points, and character details I could think of in the movies, I could only think of a few that were completely new and hadn't been used before in some form in another Transformers incarnation:

- Bumblebee talking through his radio (which I actually liked a lot more than I thought I would)
    - Sentinel Prime (or any Autobot leader) negotiating with the Decepticons in a way that straight-out screws over Earth
    - The Autobots explicitly teaming up with the US military.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it shows the writers did their research into the history of the brand, and it acted as an opportunity to reimagine previous concepts in a completely new way and improve on them (which, sadly I feel they only managed to do a handful of times). It also may not even be intentional in some cases. I just thought it was interesting that the movieverse is so rooted in the history of the brand (though, I suppose, most series since Beast Machines rely heavily on references to past media).

So what I thought would be an interesting thought exercise for us would be to try and think of more completely new aspects to add to the list I posted above, and the more well-versed and wiki-savvy among us and confirm or dispute any precedent to those concepts. I'll also try to add some of the more obscure and interesting concept re-uses, and their originators, I can think of along the way.

I'm really not interested in arguing whether or not the re-use of concepts was good or bad in this thread, there's a ton of other "OMG BAY IS WURST" and "MOVEEZ RULZ" threads out there, so let's try and keep it clean, I guess.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    - TFs being fairly vulnerable to human weaponry
    - A more merciless Optimus Prime

3. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Those occurred to me too, but then I thought,

"Well, Inferno and Quickstrike got taken apart by CAVEMEN, and the Autobots in the Marvel comics seemed to have their hands full with RATT, though the Decepticons seemed to just laugh off human attempts to stop them. In the various GI Joe vs TF crossovers, the humans also seemed pretty powerless against them unless they had Cybertronian tech as well."
    I couldn't really think of a whole lot of other examples where a human military made a concerted effort to stop the Cybertronians, but there's something of a precedent.

As for Optimus Prime going nuts, I almost immediately thought of this issue of the Marvel Run:
    [​IMG]

It was more of a tantrum than the ongoing homicidal mania of Bay-Prime, but still, something, right?

4. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Reedman

5. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I'm going to have to flat out say a more mainstream and conventional usage of non-humanoid robot designs (The Constructicons) and even robot designs of non-traditional style (The Fallen, Reedman, Bonecrusher.)

6. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    You know, this didn't even occur to me. The idea of a Decepticon infiltrator, especially one associated with Ravage, is a longstanding one, and Reedman kind of follows some of the same principles as the cassettes and the combiners (with microbots combining instead of mass-shifting). The wiki mentioned that he's likely to be the end-result of an idea centred around an insecticon-combiner in the Bay films, two concepts that go all the way back to G1, but that I don't think had been put together at that point. Reedman's also got a resemblance to Overkill and Dial, IMO.

But yeah, even if he does harken back to some concepts along the way, I'd be willing to agree that Reedman qualifies as something new for the franchise.

7. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Driller, The Sun Harvester, and (in many ways) the Allspark.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

When you've had a franchise running for 25 years and you have separate universes like the GI Joe vs Transformers universe it gets harder to find something that hasn't been tried at least once somewhere in 25 years.

9. Ash from Carolina

There was a G1 episode with something like the Sun Harvester because the Autobots had to drive to Africa to stop the Decepticons. I still haven't figured out how you drive from the US to Africa as quickly as the Autobots had to.

10. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ground Bridge!

11. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    And I counter with non-traditional designs existing even as far back as the days of G1 Ironhide and Battletrap, G2 Bulletbike, Beast Machines Rattrap and Thrust (or many of the toys from Beast Machines that moved away from the traditional proportions in TF toys), and so on.

The emergence of these interesting designs in the movieverse as "show" characters is likely due to the improvement of special effects technology and toy manufacturing technology. In the past (such as G1), toy designs were highly simplified in the animated version for the sake of cost and expression, and were anthropomorphized in some cases as well, or simply left out of the show all-together. The movie, with its massive budget, allowed the screen to push the envelope more in what a Transformer could be seen as (though I think it interesting to note that the Autobots, with the exception of the triplets, were mostly still more or less humanoid for the sake of making a connection with the audience, while the more "monstrous" forms were usually Decepticons, who were portrayed in a much more feral way than in most previous incarnations. Actually, the "monstrous" nature of the Decepticons might be a new concept, thoughts?).

12. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    - Protoform mode
    - Hatchlings
    - Slobbering Stascream
    And
    - Jerry Wang!

13. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    -Igor is pretty original, in the Transformers sense at least.

-The Watch-bot from Dark of the Moon, he seemed pretty original.

-This probably falls under the non-humanoid bodies, but there's the Cloverfield-bot.

-Hatchlings is relatively new outside of fanfictions and other fan made stuff.

-The Seekers not being a group of Starscream repaints/remolds, but rather an ancient group of Cybertronians.

-Scalpel seems relatively original.

14. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

- The portrayal of: Barricade, Blackout, Bonecrusher and Laserbeak were totally different new takes on the characters.

- The concept of the AllSpark is [while similar to other concepts] new.

- The Prime Dynasty thing.

- All [modern] human technology being reverse engineered from Megatron.

- That explanation for them speaking English is new.

- I'd say ROTF-Jetfire is a new take too [and for the record, he's NOTHING like Kup except for the fact they're both old and cranky: One a tough-as-nails veteran, the other is a batshit insane Large Ham 'Con].

- Megatron being a plane, perhaps?

- The Fallen existed before, but the movie-verse take was new.

15. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Fixed because Energon Megatron beat you.

16. Ash from Carolina

Before they scanned an animal mode didn't they call the Transformers in the pods on Beast Wars protoforms?

17. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Machine Wars, Energon, Cybertron.

18. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Starscream's seekers DO exist in the movie continuity

19. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Ironhide being a pickup truck.

Wheelie that doesn't rhyme as a primary form of speaking. (IDW Wheelie had to learn to, so thus still is one that does).

Robot versions of Wiggers.

20. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    In the comics yes, but not under that name. They're just Starscream repaints who follow his command, but their team is never even given a name.

And even then, that's only if you consider the comics cannon, considering how much they tend to contradict each other.