Original Characters vs New Characters

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by darksage78, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Alright so with the flood of Transformers Animated news in today, especially with that clip, I got thinking whether or not I liked the fact that most of the cast carried the G1 name and a somewhat close look to their originals. And I just wanted to see what the fandom's thoughts were on this. Cause while I agree its great to get homages to older characters, Animated in my honest opinion will rally a whole new generation of kids and they'll love the characters that are featured in the show and I hope there will be a whole cast of newly designed characters with properly developed stories to rally fans (e.g Lockdown).

From what we've seen already, with the whole Lockdown toy review and pics, lotsa support is already coming out for the character. My thoughts are for the support of such a bad ass character, and I'm beginning to think that we should see more new and original characters opposed to the old ones that were introduced in 1984 and perhaps during the Beast Wars. So what I'm asking is, preference for new characters or bring the old ones back and why?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I like a nice mix of old and new characters. I also really like new views on older characters. Kinda like Animated Prime is more of a younger and less experienced Prime than we usually get. Specifically with combiners, I would love to see some new one's, or at the very least, have some updates to those that haven't had any attention in quite some time, and give Devastator a rest for a while.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the mix as well, which is more or less what we've been getting since RiD.

I think a series with 100% new/original characters is unlikely unless the TF property comes close to rock bottom again, like the situation that gave birth to Beast Wars. Even BW had an Optimus and Megatron with homage-y characteristics. After the post-1986-movie reaction, I doubt Hasbro would ever have something with no Op or Megs, at least not as a mainline. Side-lines are up for grabs as far as the character choices go, but most of them have at least an Optimus in 'em too.

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I have mixed feelings about the change in personality they gave Prowl. I still dont like the animation but Im liking the toys

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm also in the mix camp. It's nice to hear some of the classic names, but it's also important that we get new characters. Series after series of Optimus, Bumblebee, Prowl, Jazz, and Ironhide would eventually get really old.

6. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

A mix of both is good. Keeps the Transformers going. There are certain characters you have to have.....Megs, Prime, Starscream.

7. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I too like the mix. Hot Shot was originally a background character in RID untill they made him into a main guy in A/E/C.

8. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Both.

9. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Another one in the "some of each" camp, here. I like that the different versions of characters with the same name as the older guys can give a different take on the character. I'm also absolutely down with seeing all-new characters.

Even if the characters with the older names have nothing to do with the originals, such as Cybertron Scourge and the like.

10. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I like the toys, the animation is also doing well in my eyes. I'm just being nitpicky on the little things, which I do everytime a new series comes out. I'm going to just need a ton more autobots to be introduced and I'll love it. Sentinel Prime, Jetfire, Ultra magnus, and omega supreme. I demand 1000mg of g1 homages and the most brutal autobots this side of war within, and my reasoning is that other toylines have six spider men figures that do different things, transformers lasting coolness is the boundless collectible army. If I have to buy 6 different bumblebees for animated that's the wrong direction. But it feels they'll introduce more bots in a timely manner.
    Headmaster may rule.

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    there'll never be another series with no old names in it again, I imagine, as Hasbro has to keep using any names they want to keep protected.

12. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I've always been of the mind set that if you are going to make a character completely different, then give him a new name. I hate the idea of using new characters with old names when they have nothing to do with their namesakes, for the very reason you stated. Kids will see these characters for the first time and that is what that name will represent and be to them. It creates a whole big mess, confusion, and discontent within the fandom.

I like new names for new characters. Plus that seems to be the best way to get the most support for that character anyhow, as you stated. Original new characters with new names are always exciting.

But if you want to use a classic name, I think it should be true to that character's name. Keep the character who it is and who it was originally. Make the namesake make actual sense...

And we all love our original characters from when we were kids...

13. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I'm not sure. I will always love G1 and Beast Wars, didn't like A,E,C at all, I thought the movie was ok, and I'm really looking forward to Animated. So it's a mixed bag for me.

14. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

So what about Blackarachnia and the rest being in Animated? I think I'm willing to give it a go with Blackarachnia having a new personality and style opposed to the one we've seen in Beast Wars. Also I think it was said that viewers were supposed to feel sorry for her too, I hope it won't be in the way that they try to mirror Silverbolt and Blackarachnia's relationship. As for Optimus, I'm ok with him being the less experienced commander, but it's cool to start off a new continuity with him.

As for Beast Wars, I think it was great how they introduced all new characters even though they "similar" names for Primal, Megs, Silverbolt and of course the original Ravage. But I wouldn't mind if they did any Animated versions of them =D

15. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The homages and all keep it tied down for the established fans, gives em some familiar territory and makes it still feel like Transformers. I think a purely new cast would alienate fans too much, so I'm glad there's some familiarity there. There's enough of a new spin on things to keep it fresh for us and the creative teams of the shows and toys, but enough that feels familiar and comfortable too. Just how it should be if you ask me.

16. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    It took me a long time to accept the fact that old G1 names (both character & faction) were being slapped onto entirely new characters in new series/lines, but I've gotten used to it over the years. Do I like it? No, not at all. But it is what it is and won't ever change, so I don't bitch about it anymore.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I like the homages, but they're all new characters to me, so it doesn't really matter.

Plus, Hasbro reuses the names to keep them copyrighted. I'm sure everyone would hate it if they lost Optimus Prime....so it won't change, no use complaining about it.

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I see what you meant in terms of the show, but his toy bio is much closer to the original.

19. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Both, but I mostly prefer the old ones. When you have a few hundred characters and personalities already available from previous lines why not rework them instead of adding a bunch more each new line. But I agree with Rodimus that makes no sense to have a homage character who bears no resenblance to the original, BW aside, you might as well just make up a new character instead of trying to usurp the name of an old one.

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Totally agree. Mix it up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.