2D Artwork: Original Character Designs

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by HiKaizer, Apr 13, 2009.

1. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

I've been working on ideas for a comic, which is a long way away and is most likely not actually going to come to fruition. None the less I have been working away at character designs and was hoping for some feed back from people who know the franchise as it were. I'm a bit weak on anything pre Beast Wars and also of the Unicron Trilogy (mostly by choice there however). So I'll present my concept sketches and a little background info on the character and people can give me feed back.

Any feedback is useful. These are just concept sketches and not finished artworks and such I've been more interested in drawing the characters basic form than in details and finishing touches. However, I could use thoughts on the elements in the design, and even things such as whether they are Transformer-ey enough. (I've been greatly influenced by a variety of Mecha Anime and also by other shows featuring robots, as such the blockish shapes of old G1 characters such as Optimus Prime bother me (How does he move when his joints can't pivot or flex?!?))

A brief note, all of the characters vehicle modes, basic abilities and names come from a roleplaying game involving my friend. The setting, their personalities and stories are entirely my own working. The story is set entirely in space and so they never attain Earth based vehicle modes (which is both a deliberate story idea, as well as a convenient way to avoid drawing real vehicles, a weakness of mine)

First character is called Top Speed, she's a young and fast character; a little bit like Bumblebee and Hot Shot (from the Unicron Trilogy I believe). Her character archetype is the naive and inexperienced rookie, who has great potential and is the most open minded of the group. She's also the fastest of the group, although not Blurr fast. Her role is a scout, she has lots of sensors for different the spectrum of light and radiation. Weapons include a rifle and taser.

Vehicle Mode: Sports Car
    [​IMG]

The second character is named Gravedigger. His archetype is that of the grizzled veteran, providing moral guidance (of a sort) and leadership. Because he is old (over 10,000 solar cycles of active service!) I deliberately designed him with the aim of making him look like an old fashioned machine. He has the unique ability to super charge his Spark for a while increasing his speed and power, doing so causes him to super-heat which is why he has all of the vents; when he uses this he also produces a lot of smoke and steam which obscures his opponents vision. Normally he sits back at the range as heavy artillery, but his focus mode has him drop the treads on his shoulders and move hand to hand with his superheated fists.

I added an earlier design idea for him as well. I personally liked elements of this one but my friend thought it wasn't bulky enough for the character, hence the second concept.

Vehicle Mode: Claw-type crane.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thirdly is Rotor Storm. He was a lot of trouble as he is a helicopter and I had an idea of incorporating the tail rotor and its frame into his feet, with the legs forming the tail itself. The first concept didn't work out so well but I kept it anyway for a reference. During his design phase I decided that he would constantly be upgrading himself (a little like Jhiaxus in the IDW continuity), so he has an almost Transtech like appearance. His role is that of the smart character. He possesses a wide and surprising range of knowledge and possesses the unique ability to be able to perform multi-dimensional computations without the aid of a computer (i.e plot and compute Transwarp-jumps). He fights less often than the others, but uses strategic elements such as the terrain to his advantage. He can generate high winds and increase air pressure, as well as using his blades as improvised melee weapons.

The jump-pack like backpack is actually the rear half of the the main chassis.

Vehicle mode: Helicopter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last character for now is one of my own, named Railforce. His role is that of the leader. He's not Prime heroic, or Primal idealistic, instead being practical and focussing on survival. His power is magnetism, appropriate for a Transformer whose vehicle mode is a Maglev. He can combine the two appendages on his back into a cone like shape and use a magnetic field to enter a planets atmosphere un-aided. He also has tonfa like rods that pop out of his forearms that double as melee weapons and a blaster.

I know he's somewhat super-robotish, but I had a lot of trouble as there are not many train Transformers aside from Astro-Train who hardly counts, and the train trio from Car Robots who are all Shinkansen.

Vehicle mode: Maglev

[​IMG]

UPDATE: Final Character!

Here is the last of the cast, the mysterious, enigmatic and possibly dangerous Intercepta. Her role is a plot device but beyond this she is somehow different to the other characters, less machine like, more human...and more importantly she stole the most important artifact on Cybertron; the Key to the super computer Vector Sigma! The reason for her theft sends the crew on a deadly quest to evade both the Autobots and the Decepticons who seek to retrieve it at any cost. Fortunately for the group she has two strange and unique abilities. First, she can create and manipulate illusions. Secondly, she can knockout and download the memories of a mechanical lifeform. This makes her possibly the ultimate infiltrator, and if she does somehow get caught her twin pistols and improvisation will get her out.

Vehicle mode: Three wheeled motorcycle. The rear wheels can tilt to give superior surface traction.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You have some very cool and original designs here. My only criticism is for Rotor Storm's legs. They looks really weak, and could give out during a heavy fire fight. Otherwise, I really dig the designs. As for story, there are so many TF universes, you don't need to know them all. Just pick a series you like, and tie it to that, or just take the elements from them and make your own universe up. :)  Hope to see more from you.

3. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Pretty cool. Gravedigger is my fave of them all.

Awesome job.

4. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

Thanks for the comments so far!

I know Rotor Storms legs aren't up to the thunder thigh standards of regular Transformers, I was hoping that the second design, the final concept wouldn't look too bad. At any rate, he flies more than he walks so it should be ok hopefully. ;) 

The last character should be done in a day or two. I have assignments to work on, but I've got the vehicle mode sorted out so I know how she transforms which is half of the work done!

5. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

Double post for update! See the first post for the background, but here's the art on its own;

You can see the first attempt at the design as well as a freebie.

Intercepta:
    [​IMG]