Original Beast Wars Story

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by nicholas prime, Mar 30, 2007.

1. nicholas prime

nicholas prime Savage

I was reading the tech specs of the first couple of waves of beast wars toys and i noticed something. The tech specs painted a picture that the beast wars will be set in present times.

Heres Megatron's tech specs: Millions of years ago, Tyrannosaurus rex ruled the earth. Today, Megatron plans to do the same! Duplicating dinosaur DNA stolen from human research labs, the evil leader has re-engineered his body structure and equipped it with fearsome high-tech firepower! Poisonous paralyzer fluids blast from his gaping jaws, while his powerful pincherclaw can cut an enemy in half! Be afraid, earthlings. Be very, very afraid.

Tarantulas': An eight-armed master of the martial arts, this ninja nightmare slashes his way through battle virtually unstoppable! The heroic Optimus Primal suspects him of being responsible for the disappearance of numerous earthlings, and recent rumors suggest the existence of giant cocoons where Tarantulas may store his unfortunate prey.He must be stopped before he spins his web of terror across the galaxy!

Rattrap's: Scouring city streets for Predacon enemies, Rattrap maintains his strength by feeding on grunge and grime and any wretched refuse he may encounter along the way. A top-notch soldier, his fellow Maximals rely on his reconnaissance reports to locate enemy outposts. They respect him...but they wouldn't dare to share his meals!

I was just wandering if anyone knows what the original story behind beast wars was going to be?

Also does anybody know why Hasbro made 2 different Optimus Primals (Bat/Gorilla) and 2 Megatrons (Crocodile/T-Rex)?

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

You pretty much said it yourself - something set in the present day. When Mainframe geared up to make a series, it would have been a nightmare to create a present-day world with TFs, so we got the Beast Wars we know and (some of us) love instead.

I only barely wonder about what might have been. Given the circumstances, it would have been even odder to explain the appearance of Maximals and Predacons on the present Earth as opposed to the past (plus the over-reliance on DNA research to weakly explain the dinos).

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hasbro's original concept for Beast Wars (from the early tech-specs and mini-comic which came with the bat & gator 2-pack) was as a followup to G1 and G2, so Optimus Primal was THE Optimus Prime, and Megatron was ... Megatron. :) 

When Mainframe was commissioned to do the series, the writers decided to take a different direction, and make new characters, which was for the best IMO, because now we can call the people who say "Why is Optimus Prime a munky now!?" dumbasses. :D 

4. Psycho_Mantis

Psycho_Mantis Well-Known Member

and many people say TRUKK!NOT MUNKY!!

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe they were looking at Cybertron? Anyway, no fan knows everything about Transformers (Nevrmore comes close) so I'm not so fast to throw stones. :D 

I think the real arguement in that case is who leads. TRUKK or MUNKY? :wink: 

6. Rampage01

Rampage01 knockoff of a knockoff

Then we could still call them dumbasses because gorillas are classified as apes, not monkeys. :p 

Something I wonder about the early idea of having them fight on present day Earth, is wouldn't they have to then still go back in time? I'm not familiar with the G1 or G2 comics, so for all I know it wouldn't be a problem in that continuity, but didn't things already jump ahead to 2005? Assuming Optimus Prime and Megatron's past would have included the fast foreward bit, then Beast Wars would have had to take place in the future, or else they'd have two copies of themselves in the same time period, and any sci-fi movie/show/book/comic that deals with time travel will tell you that they can't do that.

Or maybe I'm just reading way to much into it.

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    That's a good point. Present day for BW would've been 1996, which was between season 2 of G1 ( 1986 ) and the movie ( 2005 ).

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Cybertron (the series) didn't even exist when beast wars came out.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

There's nothing about the BW tech specs to suggest that it isn't set in the future rather than the present. After all, we don't have labs researching dino DNA just yet. A near future setting would fit just fine with Rebirth, Headmasters, and/or G2.

10. nicholas prime

nicholas prime Savage

Ok I have another question.

What the hell is up with the 'mutant' heads that some of the first beast wars toys have?

11. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Another aborted plot concept. They were all supposed to have battle faces, but Mainframe was all, like "Hell with this!" because faces are the hardest things to model and rig, and they were already doing it twice per character.

I've heard tell that originally they were going to explain the bat/croc two-pack by having Primal and Megatron be triple changers. Mainframe swatted that one down hard.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not just Triple changers, FOURPLE changers, with (Optimus exampled) a bat mode, bat-bot mode, gorilla mode, and gorilla-bot mode. At least that's how I heard it.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm guessing that's why Primal as a gorilla has vaguely bat-like markings and a very bat-like mutant face. If they ever make a Masterpiece Optimus Primal, he should be a triple or quadruple changer.

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Really? :lol 

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]