Original anime or Americanized version?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Xabungle, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

I was contemplating picking up several animes that had dubbed adaptations here in America. I wanted to ask which version is better -
    Voltron (Lion Force) or GoLion
    Robotech Masters Saga or Southern Cross?
    Robotech New Generation or Mospeada?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Get the dubs, if only to piss off the weeaboo 'purists'.

AMERICA FUCK YEAH

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

From what I understand, Lion Voltron is actually better than GoLion. I hear it's more popular in a lot of asian countries, too.

Anything Robotech, you should probably go with the original. In an attempt to put all that stuff into the same universe, Harmony Gold did a real hack job on those shows.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:lol 

Right on!

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Everything I hear says the gore is really the only thing Go Lion has going for it.

Not really sure about Robotech. I never saw too much of the 2nd and 3rd seasons.

6. MEGAMAN X FAN

MEGAMAN X FAN Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  7. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Frikkin LOL ^

I do like the dubbed versions if they're done well, otherwise I stick to subs.

Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex is a fine example of this I feel, excellent quality and well directed dubbing.

8. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I think the Voltron dub is pretty poor, but then that may just be a sign of its age more than anything else.

9. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Voltron you can go either way and it's still a decent story.

In terms of Robotech/Macross, go with the original subbed.

10. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Im a dub guy so anything dub is awesome with me!

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This, and I'd like to add that "NO" the Sub acting is not better, it just sounds better because we don't understand the language. Just like when it's assumed that because the actors in a movie have British accents, therefor the movie is smarter.

12. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I prefer a good dub, so I can focus more on the animation. In cases of older dubs (usually bad ones) I go the sub only route.

As for localization.... it's kind of based on nostalgia. Shows like Votron and Battle of the Planets are horrible for thier edits of content... but I get a good feeling from watching them reguardless. I think I even enjoy them a bit more than the orginals if only because of that tie to my own past. For anything as recent as say.... Dragonball/Z.... I take offence to localization and can only really get into the original Japanese. I only sort of liked watching DBZ on CN's Toonami, but really got into the recent DVD sets because it was the first oppertunity I had to watch the originals.

Battle of the Planets (at age 5?) was my first contact with anime, even though I didn't know it at the time. I'd wake up every weekday morning and watch it before school. Then when I got home it was Starblazers. The latter I've tried to watch but couldn't get into it... but BOTP is always a joy to watch. In recent years there's been a pretty accurate dub for Gatchaman from ADV.... which is good, but distracting due to the 70's slang they decided to put in. I've found that I like watching POTP a bit more than the original Gatchaman. But, that doesn't mean I don't love the original, because I do. If given the choice of only owning one, I'd pick the original over the localization version. These days I feel pretty lucky to have the oppertunity to get both and watch what ever version I'm in the mood for.

So if you are looking for recommendations, my advise is to first get which ever appeals to you the most.... nostalgia or accuracy.

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

generally i prefer dub to subs. just because i like to watch my movies, not read them lol!

besides, regardless of how "badly" robotech is a butchering of macross, and the other two series, robotech it self, is still pretty good in my opinion, and i prefer the voices in it to the recent macross dub by adv. i just think the voices fit better. especially the captain.

14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    For me it really depends on the quality of the dubs. I generally watch it first subbed these days, but a good dub can win me over. Take Fullmetal Alchemist, I saw the original subbed, but actually probably like the dub better. Naruto I can't stand the dubs, so I watch the subs. Bleach I can go either way. Neither are better than the other. Dragon Ball I can not watch dubed having wathed the subbed first and seeing how superior the original vocals were.These days I usually see a series subbed first to see what they will cut out of the dubbed version. For instance speed grapher's opening song was scrapped because it was Duran Duran's girls on film and I guess they didn't want to pay for the rights. So it's just genneric music instead.

15. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I agree with FMA, Tenchi Muyo is another instance where I much prefer the dub.

16. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always go with the original, it's far better (usually)

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Another good dub is Azumanga Daioh. I'll take dub Osaka over sub any day. Most of the Gainax stuff has really good dubs. I believe Gainax actually gets involved in choosing the va's.

18. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Meh, I generally watch dubs because I've never seen any adequate reason to really care (unless it's a dub that cuts a lot out for no reason, which there are still some of; 4Kids One Piece for example). Anime's pretty much about artwork and story to me. I do occasionally watch subs, normally when it's my only option (such as downloading Detective Conan; the show's been dubbed but the dubs are incredibly hard to find in my experience).
    I feel a little alone in that I highly prefer the English, uncut Dragon Ball/Z/GT dubs. I find the original voices, particularly Goku and Gohan incredibly annoying. But I would much sooner watch the subs than go through the torture of the Blue Water dubs again...fucking YTV.

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Depends, some dubs are good (Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Teknoman, Gunsmith Cats, Hellsing) with quality voice acting, decent music and staff who give a shit.

Some dubs, conversely, are total shite (Azumanga Daioh, Bleach) because for some reason the voice actors just don't fit.

Rent a DVD of the show in question if you can, they'll usually have both. Watch the first episode or two in one language then try another, see which you prefer.

20. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

There are some anime I prefer the dub on. (Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop to name a few) But I usually prefer the subs. Series like Voltron, I can go both ways.