Original 1984 VHS Releases (somewhat image heavy)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Socialvegetable, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    EDIT: I fixed the broken image links

I snatched these from my parents' house when I visited for Christmas, and thought I'd share. We bought (or were given, I'm not sure) from a local video rental store when I was a kid. I have a ton of awesome stuff from that store, including the turtles from the cardboard movie promo from the first TMNT film.

These tapes are the original 1984 releases, and the boxes are in decent - not great - condition. I don't have a VCR at my apartment, so I'm not 100% sure they still play correctly, but the tapes themselves (especially More than Meets the Eye) are in good shape.

These tapes are definitely a favorite part of my collection, so I'm glad to have finally retrieved them from home. Here are some photos. By the way, does anyone happen to have these or other volumes from the original release?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This tape clearly has a label under the retail sticker, and since it was purchased used ages ago, I'm not sure if it's meant to be that way, or if the store made a cop of the original for some reason and transferred the original sticker to the duplicate. I'm definitely not going to tamper with the sticker to find out though.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. DavidLoPan

DavidLoPan Well-Known Member

Nope. Creating a new thread didn't fix the problem.

3. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Yeah I hit back instead of edit, thereby accidentally creating a second thread. sorry about that.

4. KanedaX

KanedaX Twitchy Triggerbot

Ebay:
    Huh... I swore I had a different cover on my Dinobot one when I was a kid. Does that tape have the creation of Swoop and Snarl? Cuz I don't think mine had the creation of Grimlock, Slag, and Sludge.

5. Omega77

Omega77 Crystal City

Those are classics. I've still got my MTMTE. Also had the Ultimate Doom on VHS but long ago lost the box when my kid sister stepped on it. My wife, while we were dating, bought me a VHS copy of the SilverHawks Origin Story, also from a video rental store. The original VHS of the 1986 movie my parents bought me for Christmas, I later discovered they paid $80 for it from a video rental store.

6. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Great find. Brings back memories.

7. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i have mtmte at home. $1 at a yard sale.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I have a bunch of original UK VHS's from back in the day, including the movie and 2 differently covered versions of "Arrival From Cybertron" (MTMTE). I'll see if I can dig them out.

9. Jedah

Jedah Bring me sunshine.. TFW2005 Supporter

Cool pics Socialvegetable, fun to see how different the covers were to the UK releases.

I think ive got a copy of arrival from cybertron/mtmte on betamax somewhere in the garage too, lost all my vhs ones the last time we moved :( 

10. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Oh man, that's cool. I have an old VHS tape of Transformers. Except instead of an animated episode, it's a vhs story book. I'll have to find it.

11. tarheels

tarheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I have all of the vhs episodes that were released.

12. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I have a buttload of the UK VHS tapes that I've picked up along the way for a couple of quid each. It is interesting to see how different the covers are for the US tapes, I must say the bright cartoony art is very eye catching.

Does anybody know if there is a link to a list of all the VHS released in the UK? I wouldn't mind seeing if I have them all or not.

13. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  14. DarkDranzer

DarkDranzer Well-Known Member

Those are pretty cool, I remember that they released an Australian type out too, I remember the cover being in a kind of grid pattern with a pic of an episode on it. I don't know what happened to them, they must've been sold or been destroyed when the old Video Corner got renovated into Video Ezy around the late 90's early 2000's.

Which is a shame I really liked those videos, I tried searching for them on the internet but they never turned up. They were mostly post-movie but they did have a few pre-movie ones in stock (though everytime I went there they were almost always hired out) :( 

15. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    my local video store still has "heavy metal war" in those jackets...faded but viewable.

16. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This site has some classic covers also.

http://www.tfrid.com/nojava.html

This site has a dvd checklist

http://www.anime.dds.nl/Dvd3.htm

I miss going into a video store as a kid and seeing those huge f.h.e video box's of gijoe, thundercats, and transformers!

Back when video stores were cool and no one could afford to pay $30 to buy a vhs!

Everyone rented!

17. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know I have an old Beta copy of The Ultimate Doom around here somewhere.

18. DarkDranzer

DarkDranzer Well-Known Member

I always found out how much the Australian DVD versions sucked in comparison, there wasn't that much there compared to what they get at the states. They didn't even have subtitles in them which was a bit of a drag 'cause I get a bit hard of hearing at times.

19. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still have the original FHE release of the movie. Hands down the single most viewed video in my household.

20. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Outstanding!
    Thank you very much.

It seems that although off the top of my head, I have at least one version of each tape, there are a lot of cover variations I had no idea about!