Origin of Botcon bagged sets

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Edgewise, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So back in 2002 I was aware of the (FunPub's)GI Joe convention's first major boxed set of 3.75" figures: The Crimson Strike Team(Tomax, Xamot, Baroness and 12 Vipers). They had a format of convention exclusives that has become pretty familiar to TF collectors now: a boxed set of figures, plus the option of buying an extra bagged set, as well as an attendee-only bonus item(A crimson HISS tank).

I also knew there had been a "pre-production" error in making the figures for the set and the first batch came out "fuschia" instead of Crimson.

What I hadn't realized was the boxed set versions were strictly the "crimson" version of the figures while the bagged sets were exclusively the "fuschia" versions of the figures.

The purpose of buying a bagged set on top of a boxed set always seemed to fit much better with GI Joe figures than with Transformers, particularly in that first year where 12 of the 15 figures in the boxed set were troop builders. It was just natural to want additional sets of troop builders.

However with the split between colors and boxed vs. bagged, evidently the reason for the existence of that first bagged set(and thus the root of all bagged sets to follow at Joe-cons and Botcons) was not that logical purpose of supporting army building, but simply a way to sell and use the production error "fuschia" colored figures.

Here's a short Joe-A-Day blog post mentioning it. Quoting the most relevant part:

So, sorry if this is old news or uninteresting to anyone, but I thought the origin of Botcon bagged sets possibly actually being a mistake might be a mildly interesting little sidenote.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Oh no he's got to go! go go my budget!

News Credits:
  3. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    Ebay:

That's true. But doing bagged sets was part of FunPub's MO before they had Botcon... and it evidently started with this 'mistake' for a GI Joe Convention.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Oh no he's got to go! go go my budget!

News Credits:
    So it seems. I have only a single botcon figure. Dirge from descent into evil set from 2005