Organzing my collection advice.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ironhideforever, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Ironhideforever

Ironhideforever Straight Fucking Edge.

Ok. I haven't really been collecting very many transformers lately. It's been maybe one or two every few months, if that. I have had the money, and I do find a lot good stuff, I just don't have that itch for currently. My collection has been boxed up for a while now since I haven't really had room, and I feel like that has been part of it.

But basically I came across the idea of selling it. I really haven't made a decision either way, but I have already started trying to collect everything by line in which they came out, organize all the weapons, mini bots, etc.

It's a huge bitch.

When I first boxed it up, I foolishly threw things in tupper ware boxes with no discernable order, I have been taking all the basics and things that would fit, and putting them into ziplock bags with whatever accesories they came packaged with. But I know eventually, I am going to actually make a concrete list of all of these, and I am wondering, does anyone know of any websites that have like a database or list you can just click on what you have, and it will compile it for you? I have something similar for my comics, with this comic price guide site. It's pretty organized.

Does anyone use anything similar for their collections, or have any tips on keeping it all organized? Any help would be cool.

2. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah I heard of one for action figs...I think someone said that they made thier own...an Excel speadsheet that organizes by series, name, faction etc. I'm not sure if there is one with a "roster"...I know there are many sites with huge checklists, but I've never seen a program for TF's. Maybe someone here has one or input more on how to make one.

3. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    You might want to take special care when using ziplock baggies. If they are the freezer kind with an area you can write on, I've heard that it can discolor certain plastics.
    FYI
    MegaMus

4. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just have a whole series of excel spreadsheets one for each line, to keep track of the ones I have and the ones I need.

The actual figues themselves are fall in various card board boxes waiting to come out and go on display in my new townhouse.

5. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I just write everything in a notebook. Im to lazy to set upa a spread sheet.

6. Dayvcon

Dayvcon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i use excel spreadsheets also, 1 sheet of what i have, 1 sheet for what i want, and 1 sheet of what is owed to me (through trade on boards or e-Bay)

and when i packed my tfs to move is when i created the what i have sheet. (see it, catalog it, then store it)

7. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

I need to sort something out for mine. I used to have something, but due to space issues I sold a HUGE part of my collection. Now the space issues have been resolved, the collection is once again growing...

8. VE Telus

VE Telus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use nkelsch's icons in a Word file. Works like a charm.

9. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you want to organize, verify that you have all the parts, etc., then TFU.info is probably your best bet.

10. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    I could make one website-based. I'd do it only if there was considerable interest in it, however. I know TFU.info hasn't updated in forever, and the cobra island seems to be missing a lot...

11. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I created the following Excel Spreadsheet:

http://jason.theriondna.com/Tfs_coll.xls

It allows me to fill in the number of each toy I have, and get a package count, toy count (G1 Prime I consider as 1 package but 3 toys), purchase value of collection and a rough current value of collection based on the toy's condition (package & toy).

If anyone has updated current price values for some toys, let me know. The original prices (especially for the G1s) should be 100% correct, as I took them from the price tags still on most of my G1 boxes.

Enjoy. :) 

12. DanLyons

DanLyons Vintage Lurker

Funny timing - I just came to the a similar point myself.

I have, literally, thousands of TFs gathered since 1984 scattered around in dozens of boxes. I tried looking for a pre-packaged solution but couldn't find one that suited my needs so I decided to build one. The biggest problem with that is you need to have comprehensive Release data - which I may have to enter manually from TFU (and that would take a while).

I just started it a few days ago (probably a bit similar to what JaviSRK is talking about) but it's VERY unpolished and I don't have the data structure finalized yet (snkeyes069's post reminded me that I don't have a way to track the original price or, for that matter, value). You'd need to know how to set up a Web Server and a MySQL server to get it running at this point.

Since I plan on using this to track my collection, I'll probably get it set up so that it works (even if it's not pretty), I just don't know how long that will take. After I get it set up I'll see if I can find a way to package it up for other TF fans.