organizing your comics

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lumpy, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    how do you do it? i am way behind on filing my comics away, they are all boarded and bagged, but just completely random in the boxes....i've already got everything transformers and everything from robert kirkman in their own boxes, but now i'm thinking of separating my books by company, and then if something is a miniseries i want it separate too....is that retarded? should i just keep my kirkman and TF separated?

2. Ted Kord

Ted Kord Well-Known Member

Personally, all of my books are alphabetical by title, with a few exceptions. All of my Transformers and Tick comics have their own boxes. I also keep all of my books cataloged. All 10,000+ issues are kept track of in a notebook.

A friend of mine actually has all of his ongoing titles in one section and limited series & finished/cancelled series in another section. His system makes sense and he seems very happy with it. He also separates by company but I don't since all of my non-DC stuff probably wouldn't fill up one long box.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I do alphabetical by title, with maybe a few titles getting their own box for substantial runs.

Problem is, how do I alphabetize? Is "The Incredible Hulk" under 'T,' 'I,' or 'H?' I mean, probably not the first one, but you could make a solid argument for the other two. And what about weird mini-series? Title or characters in the title? And so on.

But I recently started using comiccollectorlive.com, and it's the shit. Little bit of a hassle redoing your old collection (haven't finished it myself, and I'm no where near as big a collector as some folks on this board or elsewhere), but it's great. Perfect for keeping track of what you have and what you need, and now I alphabetize in accordance with it's decisions. Makes life easy and gives me a system.

4. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Alphabetical, by title, then numerical.
    Since I only collect 4 titles (TF, Witchblade, Spawn and The Darkness) it's not too bad - but TF I have different sections for Dreamwave, then IDW "ongoing", Spotlights, mini-series, etc. etc. etc.

Makes sense to me anyway ;) 

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine are all mised in the boxes, but the recent years are at least close to the order they were released.

6. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

i do alphatbetical, title, numerical, but with transformers i tend to do more chronological (ie origin before infiltration)

7. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Alphabetical, then year.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I keep mine grouped together by company, and then family (X-Men, Avengers, Events). I keep all the Transformers titles together.

9. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You probably would hate my ordering. I more or less put series together but not in alphabetical order. I get them to fit in the boxes I have. I used to get a bunch of Batman related comics. So Batman & Detective series are the largest so they each go into their own separate long boxes. Then with the room left, I fill it with another series (Ex/ Robin comics fit into Detective's Box). Catwoman is in with Batman. Shadow of the Bat & Legends of the Dark Knight go into another box & the random miniseries/one-shots go there to fill up space.
    All Star Wars related series fit into another box. Likewise with Robotech. Marvel GIJoe & Transformers have their own boxes with the newer series filling in the empty spaces before starting a new box.

Random comics that don't have more than a dozen issues get put in their own box.

Damn I have a ton of comics. I wish I could sell them off (for even $1 each) but the market sucks so I keep them.

They were getting pretty mixed in so I spent an entire Saturday going through them and putting issues in order before putting them in boxes. Most miniseries goes behind the long running titles unless I know it takes place before the other one. Ex/ I put Tales of the Jedi before the Marvel Star Wars series since TOTJ takes place before the movies.

Since the only titles I still collect are GIJoe & Transformers, I know where their boxes are. The other boxes were put where I store them. Not in order so if I want to find a Fantastic Four comic, I have to glance through a few boxes before I find the one FF are in.

Don't buy the long boxes. Those things are just damn heavy and because they are long, won't fit in as many places. Get two smaller boxes and they are much easier to handle & easier to find a place to store them.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

[​IMG]

Everything is alphabetical by title except the last 2 bottom boxes. The one with Spidey on it is full of Autographed comics and sketches on backer boards. The one under it is for the first 3 Iron Man series and limited ones that are done. One of the little boxes in front is the current Iron man series and minis. The other one starts the regular collection with numbered titles: MK4, 52, Countdown, 1608. The books on top are unsorted and un bagged. The ones on the floor are blagged but not filed yet.

And I still have 8 more long boxes at my parents house in NY.

11. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Geez, and I thought my 6 long boxes and a trunk full was a lot. You win.

I usually just go by alphabetical in my long boxes, which are all numbered (1-6) and the trunk has newer comics (52, Infinite Crisis et al, Current Volume Green Lantern at al, IDW TF's and both current TMNT titles) which are in dire need of sorting into the long boxes which have a bit of space left in them, but are all at my mom's house.

The only places I don't like alphabetical in my long boxes and has long been a point of contention for me, is the crossover books from the 90's (IE Superman, Batman and Spider-man, which all had 4 books a month which crossed over). Do they stay crossed, or do they get split up by title? I've got them split up by title, but no sir, I don't like it.

12. Wreckgar

I would love to number my boxes but when I get a new one, it would screw it up. In order to file the most easy way (as in not pulling every book out of each box) I put it where the cluster is starting to gather. Lately is't been in the 4-5 spot. With most of my books being in the A-G categories, it makes it the easiest move.

13. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Alphabetical order, then sorted by "family"

Basically, all Avengers related goes under "A". Avengers, New Avengers, etc. They'll be alphabetical within each family. Like in the "X-Family" I'll have Astonishing X-Men, then the Amazing X-Men, etc, through to the end with X-Factor, X-Men, and so on.

14. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Everything not IDW (DW, Bionicle, whatever else I have) goes in one half box. My full box is set aside specifically for IDW, and it seperated in order of the different continuities (i.e. Infiltration/Escalation/Devastation/Stormbringer/Spotlight, Reprint G1 stuff, Beast Wars, then other misc. like the movie adaption and hearts of steel).
    DN

15. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I usually do mine alphabetcally but by family as well. All Disney together, GI Joe & TF together, TMNT together, Green Arrow, and about 3 boxes of X-Men related titles. I have about 7 boxes worth altogether. I've got into an odd habit lately though of putting things together on my bookshelves by subject though so that I'll have all my TF comics, books, and DVDs together instead of 3 seperate places.

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have three boxes going right now:

- Short Box #1 - Transformers comics and 52 - Includes DW, IDW, a few stray Marvel issues (I have most of that series in trades), Devil's Due GI Joe crossovers, TFCC newsletters and other random TF stuff. I split them up by company (IDW, DW, Misc) and then ordered titles alphabetically within company. I've switched to "wait for trade" due to the expense of the IDW stuff, so the amount of TF things in here stays constant and leaves enough space for 52.

- Short Box #2 - Other comics - Marvel, DC and other publishers. Grouped alphabetically by title, regardless of company or storyline.

- Box #3 - Anything that I need to sell, trade or donate at some point in the future. Everything of a particular title is grouped together, but nothing is alphabetized.

17. Wreckgar

I should do the family type thing. Every time I sort my book, I always sit for a minute and wonder if I file Detective Comics under "Batman" or "D"

18. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I'm mostly a Marvel guy.
    So first by publisher: DC, Marvel and Independents.

Then Marvel is broken down by theme: Spidey, X-men, Hulk, Avengers. etc.

I'm behind in sorting things out too.

I don't like alphabetical organization because the long standing collections like Hulk and Uncanny X-men grow faster than the random issues of Quasar I have.