Organizing Comics

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by matrixprime, Dec 28, 2009.

1. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was going through all the trouble of bagging, boarding, and boxing comics today since I called is sick and was wondering how do you guys keep track the comics you have and what you need? I noticed quite a few holes in my collection and have to back track online and through other LCS to get what I need. Do you guys use Excel or some sort of comic book organizer programs or just pen and paper?

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I don't keep track really. I just have a mental picture of what my larger collection looks like. I have a few holes also, but since I'm just not into hardcore collecting anymore, they really don't bother me at all. When I stopped caring about the price of my comics, it was the best thing to ever happen to my enjoyment of the hobby.

Though I would love to finish my Miracleman collection one of these days.

3. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

I use comiccollectorlive to keep track of the comics i have, you can keep track of variant covers with it. Also shows gaps in your series.

It isnt free though... 29.95 for a year's subscription but it's constantly updated with a great database. As for prices i dont care anymore...

4. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Boxed, arranged from front to back as follows:

By company based on largest amount of comics per company, so my boxes start with Marvel, then DC, and so on....although I may need to reorg soon if my DC collection gets much bigger.

Alphabetically by title within that company.

Numerically within title, with "reset points" for volumes.

So, for example, I have Marvel, Alpha Flight, in numerical order, and so on, with dividers between titles. Later, I have Dark Horse, Aliens, numerically with each consecutive volume in chronological order of release.

Very, very easy to find anything I want rapidly.

- Coeloptera

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Organizing comics - I have them sorted roughly alphabetically by title, in long boxes, with Post-It Notes as dividers. Any series that I have < 3 issues for doesn't get it's own slot, but is just put in "[first letter of title] Misc".

- Keeping track of comics I have - I keep lists of everything I own for insurance purposes. Whenever I get a new comic, I just add it to the "Comics" insurance list.

- Keeping track of back issues - I keep a list of items that I'd like to buy someday, which includes toys, CDs, DVDs, TPBs, manga and comic back issues; whenever I think of a new back issue I want to get, I add it to that list. Seeing as I'm looking to get out of comic collecting, there's only 12 back issues on my want list (both Marvel TF/GI Joe crossovers, GL v4 #4 and 9, TFClub Newsletter #23 and Booster Gold #1,000,000).

6. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I have mine all listed i na simple Access Database that I can then use to suit my needs at the time.

Each comic is given various assets including what series and sub-series it's from, and what comic box it is currently stored in. That way I don't have to keep them all in a specific order.

As I buy and sell comics its easy to rack them all and know which ones I should have or need.

7. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I've ended up mixing all Marvel and DC together in alphabetical order. Although I am toying around with the idea of storing bagged and boarded comics in a three ring binder with comic holder pages. I've heard that they can hold up to 500 issues using the largest 3 ring binders available which would free up a ton of space as I currently have 15 long boxes. What are your thoughts?

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I put all like series together in order. For all the miniseries & tend to put them in release order (if I remember it) after the main series. For example, Marvel G1 is ordered as: Main series, TF vs. GIJoe/Movie Adaption/Universe/Headmasters/ Misc items such as the 3-D issues/G2

For missing issues, I'd write the issue # on a piece of paper I put in my wallet. When at a comic store, I'd look at it to fill in gaps. Then cross issues off the list once bought. Worked fine for me.