Organic Alt Modes

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Auto Morph, May 14, 2010.

1. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

So obviously in Beast Wars the Maximals and Predacons arrived from Cybertron and scanned the local dominant lifeforms (extinct in some cases) which resulted in purely organic alternate modes. By this I mean actual animals as opposed to mechanised ones a la G1 Dinobots/Insecticons. In this case it had the added bonus of being able to protect them from the abundant energon on the planet.

My question is, is it just a Maximal/Predacon trait that they are able to scan and adopt organic alt modes, or could any Transformer do it?

For example, in G1, could the Autobots and Decepticons have used Teletraan 1 to find them animals/insects/birds etc to transform into instead of cars/planes etc? I know the vehicles were chosen by the sky spy because it assumed that they were the dominant lifeforms on Earth, but if they had so desired, could they have gone organic (I'm talking fur, skin, feathers etc)?

2. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Well before all the retroactive canon came along Autobots and Decepticons have been always mechanical. For them to upgrade or change alt modes they have to be rebuilt.

Maximals and Predacons as shown with their protoforms are a mass of nanotechnology.

In fact in the original G1 cartoon the only times Transformers became truly organic was either that mystical lagoon on another planet which the Decepticons enslaved or when Snake (aka Cobra Commander) placed Rodimus, Arcee , Springer and Magnus' consciousness in Synthoids.

In fact the concept of Synthoids is much closer to protoform scanning creating clones.

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, given that Ravage and Laserbeak got their forms from Earth animals and wound up all mechanical, that would seem to be a "no". That, plus the point of Pretenders was "Holy crap, they can turn into people and animals now!" The integration of organic mimicry seems to be one of those technological upgrades that came along with the Great Upgrade to Maximal and Predacon. Dreamwave canonized the long-speculated fandom belief that it was an outgrowth of Pretender technology - instead of the organic matter being an external removable shell, it became integrated into the robot itself.

4. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In the IDW continuity, that's what the Dino (Dyno) -bots did (Spotlight:Shockwave) So I guess it depends on what continuity you subscribe to