Customs: Oregon Customs

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Wraith Prime, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Regzero

Regzero Well-Known Member

2. Wraith Prime

Wraith Prime Ultra-Class

On again Off again is off (again) - haven't had time to work on lupus or to take any photos. I doubt i'll have any time between now and Tuesday either, but we'll see...
    What time I did have to work was spent fixing my younger son's 'Miss Sazabi.' He'd snapped a peg off of the knee joint. I was able to find the right size drill bit, drilled a hole where the peg was, then glued a piece of runner in there to replace the peg. It worked perfectly and I'm really happy about how it turned out.

3. Wraith Prime

Wraith Prime Ultra-Class

I really need to put this thread in my signature or something, along with the one for local meet-ups.
    No Gundam work of note lately, but I did make a cool steampunk/cybernetic eye accessory. (I'm also helping my son with pinewood derby which is this weekend)
    I am currently the Cubmaster of my younger son's pack. My main shtick has ended up being a pirate captain with an eye patch and hook. This year's Blue and Gold banquet was Star Wars themed, but I had to figure out some way to still sneak a pirate sketch in there, so I changed the skit to have Star Wars references, and made myself a cybernetic-eye patch.
    It's just the base of a LED tea light candle from Michael's painted in various metallic sharpies, a Gundam pen, some black paint, and a gold Gundam Marker. Glued to that are a few bits of a diet pepsi bottlecap, also colored with sharpie. The assembly is glued to a bit of leather as an eye patch, with a hole cut out to access the power switch. What I am most proud of, though, is that the aperture-looking part is held in place by two of the outer eye parts. The third outer eye part is attached only to the aperture, and thus, it can be used to rotate it back and forth. I'll take some pictures this weekend.

4. Wraith Prime

Wraith Prime Ultra-Class

5. Regzero

Man I really need to get to my Gundam kits. Plus side, at least Uwajimaya started carrying more sets and Gundam pens.

6. Wraith Prime

Wraith Prime Ultra-Class

That was info I didn't need....I'm in enough danger going over to that side of town what with Tammies and TFAW so close...sigh...
    You should really come to that event, though I realize it's quite a drive and time commitment for you. Just come out, grab a cheap IBO kit and hang out. Hoping they do a restock beforehand so they have some neat suits from season 2. (Vidar, Flauros, Barbatos Lupus Rex, Shinden, etc) They're cheap, awesome, and don't take a ton of time.

At any rate, here's a quick gallery of that Cybernetic-Eyepatch I was talking about: Cybernetic-Eyepatch

7. Regzero

I love the eyepatch. I probably won't be making it out there. I have another friend I need to meet up with. I still need to get your stuff together at some point to meet up with you anyway ha ha.

8. Wraith Prime

Wraith Prime Ultra-Class

I've been slowly chipping away at HGIBO 1/144 Barbatos Lupus, but I'm pretty meh about it. I like parts of it better than the Lupus Rex and vice-versa. as such, I'm not as into this kit as I thought I'd be. I am still trying to 'do it right' for the most part, but I'm not putting as much care into it as I have into past builds. Don't get me wrong, though, it's still a fun kit...I really love building up an inner frame and then slowly adding the armor. it's so much more satisfying than building one limb at a time. Plans for the weekend include finally taking some pictures of the RG Astray and hopefully some of my previous builds.

9. Wraith Prime

Wraith Prime Ultra-Class

I should have taken some pictures at the TFAW build event. It was pretty cool! My older son and I enjoyed it a lot, my younger son thought it was 'too loud'
    We were expecting to grab kits there build it there, but next time I think we'll bring kits from our backlogs. I was really disappointed to find that they didn't do some kind of restock first. They had the same crap that's been sitting on the shelf for months now. My younger son got a really old SD kit that was difficult due to the old style instructions. My older son built a RG 00 Raiser, which he got compliments on due to his speedy building - completing the main suit build while we were there.
    I ended up getting an HGIBO Hugo and mostly finished it. The expectations weren't that high, and it was slightly better than expected, so I don't regret the purchase. It's just unique enough to be interesting, but it needs a couple of mods to really bring out its potential. The design and color scheme are interesting. The bucket-head is pretty lame, but the visor is really cool. The weapons are awesome too, and the inner frame spent a good amount of time in a Zenyatta /Zen pose with the blades combined like a ring behind it. PHOTOS! I put the feet on the wrong way and left off the heels in order to give it more normal feet. I am also going to mod the legs because while backward-knees are cool, the double joint would work better as a normal leg without the parts that limit it to having backward-knees.
    Barbatos Lupus is nearly done, and I've been to busy with other things to get around to taking decent pictures etc.

10. Regzero

That is an interesting kit. It does look nice and clean though. I am actually tempted to get it. Or maybe another color of it. By the way. Man the show kicks you in the feels and doesn't let up. That is all.

11. Wraith Prime

Wraith Prime Ultra-Class

I'm behind by 3-4 episodes I think. I'll buckle in and try to catch up this weekend.

EDIT:
    A couple more episodes, a couple more kicks in the feels. I'm still not fully caught-up yet, but I'm getting there.
    I can't continue checking the gunpla reddit until I finish the series. People that watch the new episodes the minute they air run straight there to comment on any character developments with 'Too Soon' on any post of that character's suit....

No progress lately. Finished up the Hugo, still need to finish up Lupus (non-rex), and still have pictures to take and a huge backlog to work through...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  12. Wraith Prime

Wraith Prime Ultra-Class

Not a lot of work being done lately as I've been busy with other things. I did finish the IBO series, so there's that....
    There is a Gundam Day event going on this weekend that I'm going to try to attend:
    Gundam Day
    Sounds like anime and games and some really good deals on kits that folks are selling. Not sure when or how long I'll be there, but I definitely want to check it out if I can.

13. Regzero

Yeah I finished it also... It was sad and good. I saw on Crunchyroll they have a 1/100 Gundam Barbatos Lupus Rex for 34 dollars I think. The master mechanic one. I think I will hold off for now.

That event is interesting. And they have 7 - 11 goodness?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  14. Wraith Prime

Wraith Prime Ultra-Class

Mostly finished my 1/144 Barbatos Lupus build. I still have some cleaning up to do and some details to add, but it's at least snapped together. I admit it looks much better now that the head is done. I really like the design, and the color separation on it is fantastic for a 1/144 HG. That said, I still don't particularly care for the V-fin. The blue bit and the ring-shape of it just seems off to me. I much prefer the Lupus Rex crest. I'm debating modding the Lupus crest to make the center more like the Rex and then maybe paint the whole crest gold...we'll see
    I also hate the enormous side skirts. Right now, they're attached to the backpack via parts of the sub-arms, but they're not as articulated as I'd like. They still look better as 'wings' than they did as side-skirts, though.
    Looking forward to the Lupus Rex in both scales, once Tammies restocks enough for them to have a few on-hand...

The Gundam Day thing looks neat. I believe the founder of the group went to Japan recently and brought back some of the 7-11 kits from this year. The gold Barbatos is ok, but I kinda want the plated version. I also still want the 7-11 Unicorn from last year, but I'll probably have to ebay/amazon that one. I've seen some of them post up things they're selling, like a bunch of MGs for like $20. The problem is that when they do that, everyone on facebook jumps on and reserves them....I don't have time to watch facebook like a hawk, and so far all the ones I would have been interested in have been 'claimed.' I'm sure there will be plenty of other good deals there from folks who didn't go the facebook route, though.

15. Regzero

Yeah I can dig it. Currently I have been eye balling the 1/100 Full Mechanic IBO stuff. Vidar, Bael, and both Barbatos figures. When it comes to watching for any sale, I honestly don't do it. If I come across it great! Otherwise, meh. I know some people must have a bot or something to watch for all the sales on ebay, facebook, ioffer, hlj, anime-export, nippon-yasan, etc. all at the same time. It is crazy.

Did you ever watch the Gundam Build Fighters Try OVA/last episode. Both seasons of that show and IBO really made me interested back in Gundam figs.

16. Wraith Prime

Wraith Prime Ultra-Class

1/100 IBO - These kits are great. I have the original Barbatos (the one that didn't come with the mace.... :(  Thanks, Bandai...) It's not as detailed as an MG inner frame, but it was a lot of fun to build and looks pretty damn good for a 'No Grade.' I'm with you though, I want Lupus Rex, Vidar, and possibly Bael. Lupus is growing on me, and I do like some of the parts for a future 'best of Barbatos' remix.

As for the Gundam sales, I meant the deals on the MG gundams that people are bringing to Gundam Day to sell. Most are listed at well below retail, and some folks seem like they buy in bulk, so we'll see what happens. Let me know if you plan on attending and I'll keep an eye out for you.

I watched all of Gundam Build Fighters, but only got through a few episodes of Try so far. My boys liked Build Fighters quite a bit, and its just cool to be able to go out and get the kits from the show. My eldest likes the Fenice, which he calls "Fettuccine." It's an Italian-themed suit so I guess it still fits?

Last question - Do you know anywhere around here to get Gashapon toys? There's a line of tiny Gundams with inner frames but I don't know how to get ahold of them other than ebay/amazon.
    http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums...AR_VER_1_APRIL2016_GASHAPON_4500.jpg~original
    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDA1WDUwMA==/z/apsAAOSwo4pYgIs~/$_58.JPG

17. Regzero

Try was fun. The OVA episode was kind of predictable, but fun. I probably won't be going. I have a friend coming over. No I don't know where to get those locally. The converge ones I pick up every now and again. Did you see the Gunpla kit style Megatron? Ha ha. Walthertron KBB - TF - SirToys.com He doesn't look like a gundam but a kit for megatron is funny. And kind of cool.

18. Wraith Prime

Wraith Prime Ultra-Class

As a matter of fact, I just put in an order for myself and Havokss that included two of those Walthertrons KO Still-on-the-sprue kits LOL! I believe it is a KO of 'Tyrant.' They also have an OS version that is more like MP size, but I'm waiting for WeiJang's new Megatron...

Also in that order were a couple of OS KO Arcees and I caved and got the O V E R S I Z E D (!!!!!) Warbotron KO...

19. Regzero

Yeah I believe you are correct on KO of Tyrant. I got the OS Version, that was the Mechanic Master one I think. And you got OS Warbotron? Welcome to the club. He is the size I was expecting the original figure to be when people spoke about him.

20. Wraith Prime

Wraith Prime Ultra-Class

Been rather busy lately, but have made little progress here and there.
    - I started working on my first MG, the MG AGE-2 Dark Hound that my son picked out for me for Christmas. I was hoping to just build the inner frame, but it looks like it doesn't really have a stand-alone inner frame. There are a bunch of armor panels on the chest that have to be added on to hold the frame together. Oh well...
    - Continued some clean-up on the Barbatos Lupus, but then I managed to snag both the 1/144 and 1/100 Lupus Rex. I've been Frankenstein-ing the Lupus and the Rex together as I build parts of the Rex. In the end, I think I'm going to have a couple of kitbashed versions instead of stand alone Lupus and Rex.