ordering transformers at bbts, good deal or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mac&cheese, Apr 21, 2010.

1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i was wondering about ordering from bbts a few transformers. so i saw this option called the pile of loot which looks like it will save me alot for shipping on bigger orders right? then i notice do i really save on shipping costs at all? if i buy 5 transformers, paid for them. put them in the pile of loot today. dont they already charge me for shipping for the 5 transformers that i just bought. then i buy 5 more transformers a week later. i would be charge for shipping again. then the items would be place in the pile of loot again. so my point is shipping is charge with each order then put in the pile of loot. wouldnt it be to save them on shipping costs and we pay for each shipping transaction anyways right? we pay for shipping for every transaction anyways. then its save in the pile of loot to save them on shipping costs. either way we pay for shipping on each tranaction, before we place them into the pile of loot area. they dont refund us shipping costs when they combine all of our items together correct? so it will be cheaper for them to ship the items but they charge us for shipping on every transaction. so am i seeing something wrong here? might as well shipped each order separately, since i would be charge for each transaction right?

2. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just shipped $1000 worth of TF from BBTS for less than $40 with Pile of Loot. If you purchase 5 items then the initial shipping is hefty (say $25). But the next five items you add will be around $5-$10 shipping. The pile of loot is only useful if you're patient and prefer the savings to getting your items right away.

Two examples.
    2009 Botcon Boxset - immediate shipping - $14.59, pile-of-loot additional shipping $7.20
    Alternity Megatron - immediate shipping - $7.39, pile-of-loot additional shipping $1.80

3. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Not always the case. It does depend on how many items are ordered and shipped. The shipping cost ends up being cumulative, for instance:

Two bots shipping cost = $10.45.

A day later you add another bot, shipping cost added is $0.90.

So if you decided to ship all three bots it would be $11.35 total shipping.

However, if you say, had the first two shipped out, and then ordered that third bot, your shipping for that would be like, $8.75 or something.

Do you follow???

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's a bizarre analogy... I had to order some levelling sand recently. The delivery cost for a yard of sand was $100, while the delivery cost for TWO yards of sand was $110. Twice as much sand, only $10 more to deliver.

Pile of loot works basically the same way... the box gets bigger, but the cost for shipping rises only slightly.

5. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    but im confused? they charged me for each transaction for shipping cost right. then its added to the pile of loot. so for 5 different transctions. that would be 5 shipping charges already charge to my credit card. then placed in the pile of loot. so when everything shipped together it will costs them alot less. but then i already got charge for all 5 shipping costs before they were put into the pile of loot.
    when we place each order, then check out at bbts. they charge each transaction shipping costs correct. its added to the total purchase price. then you have the option of putting them in the pile of loot to ship together.

6. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While you do get a shipping charge for each transaction that you put in POL, the shipping charge is only the extra that it’ll take to ship it along with whatever you already have in POL.

Example: If your first 5 items cost $10 to ship then in your transaction it’ll have $10 shipping. If your next 5 items cost an additional $2 to ship (making it $12 to ship all 10 items) then your second transaction will have $2 as your shipping. If you were to have each of the 5 item orders shipped separately, it would have cost you $20 total shipping (instead of $12).

7. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, they charge shipping for every order but if you have a POL set up the the shipping for the additional items is less.

-----------------

If you wanted to order five alternities at $50.

April. Alternity #1 - $50, Shipping $7.39, = $57.39 charged, item sent to pile of loot, not shipped.
    May. Alternity #2 - $50, shipping $1.80 = $51.80 charged, two items in POL, not shipped.
    June. Alternity #3 - $50, shipping $1.80 = $51.80 charged, three items in POL, not shipped.
    July. Alternity #4 - $50, shipping $1.80 = $51.80 charged, four items in POL, not shipped.
    August. Tell BBTS to ship items. POL empty. Four items shipped.

September. Alternity #5 - $50, Shipping $7.39, = $57.39 charged, item sent to pile of loot, not shipped.

---------------------
    EDIT: for comparison the same scenario with the way all other stores work or if you had POL off.

April. Alternity #1 - $50, Shipping $7.39, = $57.39 charged, item shipped.
    May. Alternity #2 - $50, Shipping $7.39, = $57.39 charged, item shipped.
    June. Alternity #3 - $50, Shipping $7.39, = $57.39 charged, item shipped.
    July. Alternity #4 - $50, Shipping $7.39, = $57.39 charged, item shipped.
    September. Alternity #5 - $50, Shipping $7.39, = $57.39 charged, item shipped.

Total savings for using POL on items 2-4, $16.77.

8. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Assuming you have your account set up as a Pile of Loot instead of immediate shipping, you will NOT be charged the full shipping amount on each item you buy. Like Human Beastbox said, as the pile gets bigger, you are charged less for shipping for each new item you add to your order.

EDIT: Yep, like everyone above said. :lol 

9. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To clear up. The Pile of Loot does not save you shipping on big orders. It saves you shipping on big orders over an extended period of time. It allows you to buy "must-have will probably sell out" items right away while letting you take your time deciding on the "maybes" or "I'll-buy-it-when-it-goes-on sale" items.

10. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Study videriant's example above, because he has a good point. It doesn't mean a box that would normally cost $40 to ship suddenly becomes $20. It DOES mean that as you add things to the pile, you're assessed only enough additional money to cover what it would cost to ship the pile.

Remember the old days of BBTS $5 flat shipping? I abused the hell out of that system... one time I placed a $1200 order, and it was $5 to ship. :lol 

11. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    i think, i get it now. thanks everyone for the help. i guess i was expecting a huge drop in shipping prices, but its more like a few dollars less for add on orders. damn 5.00 flat rate shipping? i wished those days was still here. :( 

12. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not huge but it's at least 5%-8% savings on total purchase price. BBTS tends to have slightly higher prices but you just have to learn to shop smartly from them. They have 15% sales every couple of months off of what they call not-new items and they do not charge for preorders until they get them in. The customer service is great. I emailed them and quickly got $100 store credit for my $1000 purchase since it was purchased last week to adjust for the 15% sale they're having.

And you always have the option of not using the POL feature.

13. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    BBTS's ordering system, faq, and emails when using the pile of loot certainly do lead to some confustion. But, as others have said, if you have patience, it is a money saver. I had about 20 items in my pile in January, total shipping was $19.99.

Oh, that's not abuse... unless each item was shipped separately. I'm sure Joel was happy as could be to see a $1200 order come in and absolutely fine with eating the extra shipping cost on that one :thumbs2: 

14. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    DAMN! 1000.00? what did you order for that much? you must have a huge collection.

15. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh yeah, no doubt. But it sure felt good to see nothing but $5 shipping on there. :lol 

16. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've had this POL since last September. An alternity here, a Commander there but most of the grand was a couple of the Botcon 09 boxset. I'm going to take them apart and keep one Kup and one Flak and sell the rest. After ebay and paypal fees the box should pay for itself.

17. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    yeah POL only works if your willing to do 2 things, pay now, and wait for them to be delivered later, than that's when the saving on shipping roll in. see they know alot of people INCLUDING MYSELF dont want to wait for this junk then i pay different shipping fees, but the people that are smart pay for their shit when its time and just leave it at bbts in the pol, i'm' not that patient, i guess thats a flaw i have.

i'm smart on my purchases but IMPULSIVE

18. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, finally shifted to the POL about 5 months ago. It has been good and bad for me as I find myself ordering a lot more stuff. Makes the impulse purchases a lot more justifiable when you add them to the cart and see that your shipping doesnt increase one cent. Hoping that the FP Bruticus upgrades somehow get in stock soon so I can ship them with this order.

19. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    pol is only for 90 days right? thats not very long at all. i believe thats what the site said, after 90days they email you then shipped all items to you.

20. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's 180 days now. Half a year. It use to be longer but people don't realize that warehousing costs money. Plus people were abusing it other ways.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/content.aspx?content=4

If you read the faq there's another benefit of POL. Preorder items go into your POL so you can choose whenever to ship it. Other sites wait until the last item of an order is complete to ship or ship items as the become available.