Orange Box: a tale of woe!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by kronos, Mar 3, 2008.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    SO I get me a PS3 and a copy of Orange Box. All excited I get home install the system. I set up my PS3 on my wireless network. I customize the home screen the way I want. I even register my PSP. I register my PSN account so I can enjou all the wonderful online things that PSN can offer. I insert the Orange Box and decide I would try out Portal. AWSOME! This is pure fun! I love puzzle style games. I try HL2. Ok, I like what i see and the gme seems fun. Now to boot up the game I really wanted to play! Team Fortress 2. I have never been a fan of online games. I just like mindless fun and I always thought that playing online required a bit of strategy. But I played this at a friends house and I instantly fell in love. So anyway, TF2 is loading up. I go thru the initial setup. the various YES or NO questions. then I clock the option to jump right in. "signing into EA". . . . . . . . . . . "connecting to server". . . . . . ."unable to connect to server". Hmmm. So I try again and I get the same thing. FOr the whole day Saturday I try at various times throughout the day. No go! So I get on the worlds largent tech support resource. The Internet. And suddenly I am alerted to a whole slew of people with the same issue. Iam linked to an official EA tech support site that gives me various steps to help with this issue. I follow instructions to a T. I open ports, add the PS3 to DMZ, reset my internet connection, create a new PSN account just for TF2, and I even call my ISP and get a service flag reset. NADA. I call EA directly this morning and they tell me that either my router or modem are malfunctioning! I called them out and asked for proof. The rep said well your game cant connect and so then your router or modem are broke. He even had me start a trace route. And determined my connection to be great (no packet loss to EA's server). I proceeded to advise him that this is a known issue and that their own tech support website states that. he appologized and said that their was basically nothing he could do. So I called Gamestop. I spoke with a manager. He said that this is a common issue with the game and they would give me full purchase price of the game in in-store credit. So I am going their in a few. This sucks. I really was looking forward to this game online.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    On a different note, my new 360 is working great!

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Too hard to read!

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, sounds like an old-fashioned kick in the balls you got right there.

On a related topic: my old one is still working great!

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yay for us! We are teh winners!

I have yet to get the Orange Box though - it will probably be my next game purchase.

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    When I heard Valve wasn't handling the port to the PS3, I knew it was in trouble. When I heard it was EA who was, I knew the game was anon-purchase on the PS3. Seems like everything not named Burnout EA touches turns to a pile of poo.

7. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    :lol  It isn't really that bad. I have played through Portal, HL2 and Ep 1. Biggest issue for me is the loading is too long. The frame rate slowed twice when playing HL2.

I haven't had the online probs with TF2 though.

8. Heatbag

Heatbag Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Having owned this particular game on PC and on both consoles, I have to say that EA did a piss poor job on this port. Are we PS3 owners ever gonna see a patch to fix framerate issues among other things? Probably not. Kinda sucks though as this coulda been a great game for the PS3.

9. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    I exchanged it for Sony Eye!

10. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Horray for DLC:

Orange Box Update Available

PS3 owners receive a few fixes. If you've tried to play the PS3 version of The Orange Box recently, you may have noticed a newly available patch, version 1.10. This update went live last night and clocks in at 128 MB. We contacted EA to get details on just what this update entails.

The 1.10 patch focuses on fixing problems in Team Fortress 2, including Leaderboard bugs, server and graphics issues, as well as fixing a "memory leak" to improve the stability of Orange Box's single-player modes. Most notable, however, is the fix for a problem many users have recently encountered. Team Fortress 2 players were previously unable to connect to EA servers if they had more then 30 registered friends, but this has apparently been addressed.

The patch is only available in North America at this time, though EA noted that a patch for Europe would arrive shortly. You can find the official list of fixes below:
    • Fixed a graphical issue whereby a player would have the explosion effect left on the end of their Rocket Launcher when attempting to Rocket Jump.
    • Fixed a memory leak to improve single-player stability.
    • Fixed an issue whereby the players name would not appear on the Stats comparison screen.
    • We have fixed an issue that would cause the vote tallies to disappear when you viewed the scoreboard between rounds.
    • Fixed an online server issue.
    • Fixed an issue that caused a crash when a player that wasn't in Division 1 entered your Leaderboards.
    • Fixed an issue with players not always being added to the 'Players Met' menu on the XMB.
    • Fixed a bug where a player viewing a friend without an EA account would have an empty entry in the friend's Leaderboard.
    • Fixed an issue where it was not possible to connect to the EA servers if you had more than 30 friends.

11. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

That's EA for you. Can't run any online stuff worth a damn.

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I just got it for my PC, better frame rates, and more appropriate control system.