Minor/Repaint: Optronix - Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by BigAdam, Apr 26, 2012.

1. BigAdam

BigAdam New Member

Afternoon,

Been doing this over on Full Metal, but my ego needs stroking so I though to post this here too.

I really like purple, so when I say the Optronix / Shatter Glass Optimus prime, I had a small fangasum. I saw the one toy of of Optronix thats kicking about and got to thinking of my own.

I, at the time had a Reveal the Shield Optimus, but the legs where a little skinny for my liking, also not a great lover of the angry head it has. However, the War for Cybertron Optimus has a great head. I took the two apart and got to fleshing out an idea.

Awesome;
    [​IMG]

Fugly;
    [​IMG]

So, off to the garage I go with my purple paint and dremel to start getting things together. The legs popped straight on the stock balljoints but the head balljoint was different, so I had to swap them around.

[​IMG]

A bit bright, but crap photo. Anyway, I had to start doing detailing on the shoulder parts. I asked a few mates who do Warhammer (hey MrWhitey and Winston) for tips, watched a few videos and generally got to it. Also took a like a Jin.S's Toxitron for a few ideas.

[​IMG]

Paint going well, I had to look to the other parts. There is a lot of rubbish grey plastic on the Shield Prime, I knew paint wouldn't hold on many of them due to rubbing and I wanted to play with my toy when done. So I checked a guy to dye plastic. [HERE - http://www.bmx-forum.com/t/183272/how-to-dye-your-plastic-parts-with-pics]

[​IMG]

That came out good, but the darker grey parts didn't take. Being the genius that I am I boiled that parts for longer, as you may of guessed, this ended badly.

[​IMG]

Off to Kapow toys site, I picked up another Sheild Prime cheap and waited for it to come while tearing apart the old body (main cab bit is all pinned together) to carry on painting.

[​IMG]

Not black, Volvo Dark Grey, a metalic but very nice colour with a quick bit of silver dry brushing.

And this is where I am so far;

[​IMG]

I still need to do silver and gold touched on the legs as well as get a War Axe as the sword is a bit puny now. I am so far pleased with my first custom, but I have yet to transform it due to still painting.

Attached Files:

2. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks like a cool mod and paint job. I like it!

3. sleepy86

sleepy86 Well-Known Member

I never would have guessed how good WFC Optimus' head and legs look on the RTS Op. Plus, the WFC head looks real good in evil colors.

Keep it up, I can't wait to see it finished!

4. BigAdam

BigAdam New Member

Thanks man,

Thanks man, I was just messing about. I wanted to swap the head but I checked the legs, popped right on. The silhouette of the RTS Prime is massive up top, but WFC Prime is bulk all over, so it really balanced out.

Have to get to finishing tomorrow.

5. sleepy86

sleepy86 Well-Known Member

Another cool aspect is that the extra bulk of the WFC Op legs help the RTS mold look closer to the old G2 Laser Prime it's supossed to pay homage to. Too bad it sacrifices a lot in alt-mode... but if you're like me and you display your TF's in bot mode 24/7, then it doesn't really matter that much :thumbs2: 

6. imoff2186

imoff2186 Well-Known Member

Cool!

7. BigAdam

BigAdam New Member

Deffo need to add more silver to the bottom grills. Looks very crappy at the moment.

[​IMG]

8. lhandlott

lhandlott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    very original I like that

9. BigAdam

BigAdam New Member

After a bad evening of painting, I'm now really worried about mucking this up properly. So, I'm calling it done for now. This is my first custom, but I really don't want to have to strip it down and start repainting. I plan to do another coat of silver on the leg vents then thats it.

Truck mode - Just about pulls it off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bot mode - Looking sharp.
    [​IMG]

The mode no one expected - Wheel chair mode.
    [​IMG]

10. Superman01

Superman01 Well-Known Member

Awesome SG Optimus. I have the WFC Optimus, and I have to agree that it's a great mold, though the ears are a bit long for me. But still, looks incredible.

11. Mixmastah

Mixmastah Scientist

News Credits:
    what purple did you use?