Customs: Options for chrome touch-ups?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Tenebrouser, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Would anybody have an idea of how to touch up or apply chrome paint to make it look new again? I've got some G1 figures I'd like to do this to, but am unsure which direction to turn to, especially given the lack of hobby shops in my area and people to ask.

I've tried chrome paint, but that was a miserable failure. Maybe I wasn't applying it right, who knows?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Chrome paint is designed to emulate chrome. It's in no way a vacuum-sealed chrome replacement. I mean, it kinda LOOKS silvery, but it just doesn't take the cake.

To my knowledge, you can go 2 ways:

1. If the chrome piece you're working with is large enough, you can always use bare-metal foil to simply rechrome the piece. However, you've essentially rendered that bare-metal foil piece a display piece and no longer a toy part - that stuff flakes if it's bumped around.

2. You could use the Testors chrome spray paint, cover it with an application of Testors glosscoat, then cover it with an airbrushed mixture of water & Future floor polish. That's NEARLY a chrome look. I've used that for metallic planes before.