Optimus's Voice

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Soundbytes, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, during the Driller vs. Optimus scene, when Optimus is flying through the building, did anyone notice that his voice was really high when he said "Im coming for you!"

2. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I did. I lol'd in the theater and a few surrounding people looked at me with WTF expressions.

3. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

No not really, of course his voice is All ways Perfect to me :tongue: 

4. Shockwave1138

Shockwave1138 Multi-changer

News Credits:
    I just found it funny cuz I imagined he was yelling that at the driller (being movie Prime and all), without realizing that Sam, Epps, Carly and Co. were even there!

5. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I noticed that his voice was slightly higher. Not in a really noticeable or "Wait, what?"-way though. Sort of like how RotF Soundwave's voice changes slightly between lines. Slightly.

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I noticed it too. DOTM actually had several instances when I wondered if Peter Cullen was actually doing the lines. "I'm coming for you" is one line, another one is "No Sentinel, don't do it!" and "Autobots, get back, retreat!" (I'm paraphrasing these from memory, but the latter 2 occur in the Washington, DC scenes.) On my second viewing, though, and all subsequent viewings, I didn't think much of it, as it was clearly Peter Cullen, just kind of different-sounding. My guess is that those lines are all exciting lines where Peter Cullen had to shout dramatically. Typically, Optimus doesn't shout or get excited. Even when he does get excited (e.g. "I rise, you fall") he does it calmly and slowly.

Try talking in an Optimus voice. Do it while talking slowly and calmly, then do it again while shouting really fast. The louder and faster you get, the more "you" shows up, and the less "Optimus" stays. My guess is that Peter was asked to do those lines in an excited, fast voice, which meant those lines had more "Peter" than we're used to. After all, the Optimus voice is NOT his normal speaking voice. The same thing happened in G1 when Optimus had to be more excited than usual, e.g. "Get out of the way, Hot Rod."