Optimus's Mouth and plate

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundwavedredd2, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Soundwavedredd2

Soundwavedredd2 Banned

who thinks optimus should have the mouth plate (with plate then in battle),just the mouth or just the plate for now on (e.g movies,games,tv show)
    i think he should just have a plate for g1 sake and u wonder what happened to his mouth

2. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I kinda like the new angle they are doing these days. I think the 1st time they did the retractable plates was animated right? That said I loved G1 op, had a certain mystery about it.

3. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Rather indifferent, tbh.

But it does make sense. Although I found it a cool look, I always wondered why some TF had a mouthplate and others didn't. Using it as a battlemode makes sense.

No, first time was Beast Wars with Optimus Primal. He had a mouth surrounded by the mouthplate that could become a full mouth plate when flying or fighting.

Then came Cybertron with a regular mouth in base robotmode and a mouthplate in combined mode.

Then the movie and only then came Animated.

4. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

I think the reason why Optimus has always had a mouthplate, and why it helps him to look so heroic is because it makes him resemble a knight, who in folk tales at least, are said to be the epitomy of bravery, nobility and virtue, qualities which Optimus' character has always been built upon.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Personally never been a fan of Optimouth Prime. Gimme faceplate all the way.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

...Uh, no. The only reason Prime had a mouthplate is because that's what the original Convoy toy's head looked like.

Also, since we're naming off versions of Prime who have had mouths, Energon Prime's toy should count as AFAIK, there exists a somewhat rare, early version of the toy that has a mouth where the mouthplate was later put back on.

7. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm fine with whatever, so i guess the retractable plate is for me.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Optimus Primal, Energon Optimus Prime/Grand Convoy, Cybertron Optimus Prime/Galaxy Convoy, and movie Optimus Prime all had retractable mouthplates. All before Animated. Hell, more Optimus' before Animated had them than didn't (G1 and Armada).

I don't necessarily have a preference between mouthplate and not, as far as the fiction goes. On toys, however, yes on the mouthplate- but I do like the raising/sliding mouthplate gimmick.

9. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think he should have the mouth plate at all times... Unless it gets blown off during battle or something. That's how the Marvel comics always did it.

I still remember the first time I saw him without the mouth plate in Beast Wars, it literally made me cringe. I think that might be the entire reason I never watched that show.

I'm starting to get used to it some. It doesn't bother me as much in the movies and Prime TV series. I guess it's because the animation is better.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Unless he looses his mouthpiece in a brutal way? I don't want to see Prime grit those teeth. His glare is good enough for me...

11. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Doesn't bother me. The faceplate popping down before battle is sort of cool I think.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm fine with it as long as the face isn't plumb-awful ugly like the movie one.

13. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I don't mind the retractable faceplate, though admittedly I think lately his face has looked a little "naked" without it. Maybe if had a Robot 'Stache/Goatee underneath...

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm fine with the retractable arrangement of recent media, though I miss the old cartoon treatment of the full-time mouth plate that moves when speaking.

15. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Do not forget, that knights should not only fight enemies, but win the hearts of beautiful women! This requires at least the smile!

16. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

I like the retractable mouth plate too. A battle mask should only be in battle. You don't wear your bike helmet 24/7, right? You take it off when you're not on your bike.

Plus having a mouth shows more emotions than a blank face. Plus points added with eyebrows.

17. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speak for yourself.

18. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

I always liked the irony that the good guy wore a mask and the bad guy didn't. (In an old west context)

...anywho, the only time I liked the retractable mask was in the movies. Just to hear and see it lock in place gave me a HUGE fan-boner.

19. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

I am old school, I admit it. My preference is all faceplate, all the time. I don't mind the retracting faceplate in the movie and cartoons, but for some reason I found it almost disturbing in AHM #13 because the situation was so anticlimatic, and his face was so...blah.

I don't mind it retracting in TFP, I just wish Optimus had a working lower jaw. His mouth looks exactly like the mouth of Larry the Cucumber.

20. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I'm not exactly sure what this is asking, but I'm assuming it has something to do with what we prefer/when, regarding Optimus' faceplate.

I'm a fan of the retractable plate. Having his plate activate *sching* before battle is a cool visual, and the bike helmet-analogy make sense as to why.

:lol  Oh my gosh, yes! Yes it does!

Also, mad props for knowing who Larry the Cucumber is.