optimus unappreciation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by PANTSMAN1973, Jun 30, 2011.

1. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

Optimus Prime appears to have no weakness. He kinda reminds me of Hulk Hogan in the 80s and 90s in a way. Optimus Prime "hulks up" and suddenly become this unstoppable killing machine every time the Autobots backs are against the wall.

The Autobots winning is always assured, as long as Hulk, I mean Prime is on their side.

2. Driftscreen

Driftscreen Not-So-Mini-Con

I think he has huge weaknesses...however he has emotional weaknesses in the Bayverse as opposed to physical weaknesses in most other continuities. So its flipped.

3. PANTSMAN1973

In many ways his emotion is one of fury and brutality. Thats the only real emotion Ive seen to be honest.

4. Driftscreen

Eh...

I disagree...I think that we have seen moments of brutality...however most of what we have have seen is logical execution and calm, reserved emotions doubled with his pain of the loss of Cybertron in the war. Like we hear on DOTM...he displays his continued regret and remorse of how Sentinel should have fought the final battle....not Prime.

5. Trikeboy

Trikeboy Well-Known Member

At the end of the movie Optimus Prime was pissed off more than he ever had been. His father figure betrayed him, killed his best friend, allied himself with the enemy, he found out he had been lied to by the government, the Decepticons destroyed half a city and found out the Decepticons would never have allowed the Autobots to leave the planet when Starscream destroyed the decoy shuttle. Prime had just cause in how he acted in that movie. He was running on many emotions which is shown when he got tangled up in the wires. He was too focused on destroying Shockwave and the driller that he didn't mind his surroundings and was taken out of the battle while the wreckers climbed up to free him.

6. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Good guys dont win wars...

7. Force 21

Force 21 Well-Known Member

He can take on two of the most powerful bots alive with one arm torn off, but watch out for wires!

8. PANTSMAN1973

Fair point. Would have been great to see Megatron do the same for balance. He had huge reason to be pissed after the first film. Instead he wimped out in the desert and ran away with Starscream, but only after Prime went all crazy again.

9. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    i agree

i just think he kills the main decepticons too easily, if the battles had been a little more even and longer it would show optimus as having a good heart like he's suppose to, but the fights last seconds in some cases which makes the decepticons seem like no threat in the first place if their so easy to kill. Optimus was basically rambo with a jet pack...and to me the action scenes suffered because of how short and one sided they were

10. Driftscreen

If Prime had been taking out Decepticons this fast since G1 would you still feel this way? No. Its a change of pace...its fine, but give credit where credit is due and that this is a new Prime who can take names quicker when kicking ass than other primes...

11. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

Even G1 Prime was a pretty vicious warrior. Even though I am a huge opponent of the entire Bay TF concept, I think Prime is the one character who is the least changed from his original incarnation.

12. PANTSMAN1973

I'm only asking for balance. You simply cannot have Prime changing to such an extent in one direction and then have Megatron go in the oposite direction to such an extent, that he becomes a joke.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Psycho Prime. One of my friends, a non-TF Fan turned me after the movie and said, "Did Prime just murder Megatron in cold blood?" He really thought it was a Heel Face Turn moment on Optimus' part.

The sudden turn of that moment really threw me as well, much to the detriment of Optimus, who back in the first movie called him brother.

14. Driftscreen

Again..I disagree. I think DOTM Megatron is the most underrated character of the film. Lets look at facts:

He has been killed once already.
    He is in a body at this point made of spare parts.
    He has to rely on an an ex Autobot to fulfill his ultimate plan (thats got to suck)
    He has to have about 3% energon at this point. (seriously? a SLS AMG? your gunna tell me that has low energon consumption lol?)
    He has been beaten by an "insect" (demoralizing)

All in all I think the fact that Megs is still going this strong and with a purpose is one of the most commendable characters in DOTM. And you want character development in DOTM? He has the most possibly.

15. Driftscreen

However...I do want to say I do understand and respect your position on "balance"

However...if you have that sort of balance in a film series....who wins if its balanced? And then...who's happy at the end if it was supposed to be balanced?

16. PANTSMAN1973

He was a mess in ROTF. The damage had already been done. He was a pathetic shadow of the Megatron that he was in the first movie.

17. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

My problem with Prime isn't that he made the decision to kill them - both of them deserved it - my problem with Prime is that he's too overpowered and too overused.

Bay could have saved himself a ton on the budget by cutting the rest of the Autobots save Bee, because the rest of them get no screen time or no justice done to them whatsoever in the movies.

Without Prime they couldn't accomplish anything. And that's total BS.

Prime is too glorified, and it actually prevents me from liking the character.

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

"We've made too many compromises already, too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done."

To me, Prime in DotM is someone who has just finally fucking had enough.

19. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    doesnt matter that it didnt happen from day one. It just makes the decepticons seem like their not a threat and are easy to kill, which makes any fear that the decepticons could succeed or defeat optimus non-existent. We all know the autobots will prevail but does it have to be so easy for them to do so.

20. Driftscreen

Im sorry...but at the end of the day, apart from Bee. noone has the ability to bring in the retail like Prime. Thats the reason he is as big as he is.