Optimus showed no hesitation

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bluebe6, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    If the Allspark were completely destroyed, i.e. willingly absorbed into Optimus' spark instead of forcibly jammed into Megatron's, there would be no way to locate the Matrix, which means no activating the Harvester, and no resurrecting Sentinel. Both of Megatron's plan Bs just flew out the window.

2. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Cutting off someones face to put them down? Are you from a tribe of barbaric cannibals in ancient honor obsessed Japan?

He had a bunch of fire arms. It isn't like it was the only way to kill the guy.
    Everything indicates Sentinel was completely obsessed with saving Cybertron. What made him so effective was he was not like Megatron with whole "I dastroooyyy wat I cant eerrrv!". I highly doubt he would have put that in. Also, it didn't take a direct hit, the structure it was in did. It was probably half destroyed when Bee tacked it. That damaged it enough to stop its functionality.

So having something new means that they should just stop caring about the old. "My pet just died! Oh hang on, I have a new one so I don't care."

For most of the things you listed, those where the wrong actions to get the right results. That is why I say that if he was killed in battle to stop his plan, it would be OK. It would be necessary. But in the film, he was killed after he had been defeated. That is one of the many reasons I like the alternative endings better. They have Sentinel fight back against Megatron so Optimus uses Sentinels Rust Cannon to take him down. This would mean that Sentinel would die of his wounds.

One other thing I will point out. He didn't have the Decepticons kill all the humans. He just ordered them to surround the city. It was their choice to kill everything and after Sentinel was scolded by one them for stupid reasons, he probably wouldn't be interested in saving them. Not exactly good but I'm saying it's not as bad as what most people say. Just.

So I am disappointed at Optimus for just giving up on Sentinel. Sentinel had a plan from before the Humanity was rediscovered that would save Cybertron, he was only on Earth for a day. After that day, he decided he would rather have the planet where he was a god (sort of) rather than the planted where he was a war tool, a mere machine. Optimus could have tried to convince Sentinel to try and help change humanity instead of killing him. The Autobot way seems to be change instantly or be killed. In fact Optimus has never even acknowledged that humans are disrespectful other than just saying STFU to Ironhide in TF1. It's like he says, The humans are primitive so they can do whatever the fuck they want. Sometimes, I find it hard to blame Sentinel.

Well ten Cybertronians say screw Cybertron while two hundred say save it.

3. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Again, I don't think it's a matter of "screw Cybertron" and "save it", as much as it is a matter of the Autobots willing to let Cybertron (a dead and barren world, made so by the sins of its inhabitants) die so that Earth (a young and fertile planet that had no say in an alien war being brought to its shores) may live. While the Decepticons want Cybertron to be saved so that they can rule the universe with an iron fist. Yes, Sentinel had slightly more noble goals in that he simply wanted his race to survive. Oh, Sentinel. You heroic b@stard you. :D  It's a sacrifice, yes. But one that Optimus - one who values freedom and the human race - is willing to make.

And there's that whole thing about the Prime's goal of "none shall die so that Cybertron will live"/"never destroy a planet with life". And yes, in this case, I count "being enslaved by giant alien robots to the point of death" = "destroyed/killed".

But I do like how raises all of those questions about which goal is nobler, and how both Optimus and Sentinel are heros/villains.

4. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    hell ! we didn't even know all those things until the movies came out !!! You can't possibly use that as justification ! It's always easier to judge in hindsight !

5. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    jolt was original supposed to be there with optimus

6. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ....I want you to imagine this

Your mentor is trying to kill you,your friends,and a whole civilization. You have a Gun in your hands... He's on the ground due to circumstances.

...Do you

a. Shoot his bloody brains out

b. help him up and laugh it off.

think about it, and in the real world, A is what would happen. Good night

7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Strawman Argument
    [​IMG]

8. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

take wallet, west, west, west, buy batteries, put batteries in lantern, fear no grues

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    That and Optimus is a badass and I'm ok with that.

10. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:

nice. You into philosophy?

11. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    You forgot your Elvish sword of great antiquity... :lol 

12. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Good points. I still don't think Sentinel deserved execution. I'll also always consider the Autobot attitude as "Screw Cybertron" until Optimus and some others morn it. If I have forgotten times in the movies when that happened, feel free to point them out. The films got me into TF and I have nothing against people justifying them.

13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    But still strong enough to finish what he started,

14. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Yes, that's exactly it. I'm from a tribe of barbaric cannibals from an ancient honour obsessed Japan, which is the ONLY reason I may try to present a logical explanation for pulling off a bad guy's face.

Seriously, dude, I know you feel strongly about this, but you don't have to be a dick about it.

Of course it's not the only way to kill a guy. But at the time, since the Fallen had engaged him into close-quarters combat, Optimus traded projectiles for brute force.

Well, comparing a pet to a planet is stupid, isn't it, unless you're under the assumption that a pet can be reduced from a glorious utopia into a lifeless hellish wasteland via millenia of civil war. Either way, Cybertron died. The Autobots have displayed the ability to move past death relatively quickly, and simply prefer to take comfort in each other, those are still alive, than pay anymore attention to death than they have to.

Good point on Sentinel, I'll accept that.

Optimus has made it clear that attempting genocide is a sure-fire way to get him p*ssed. Grindor learned that the hard way, as did Fallen, and now Sentinel as well. Since Sentinel was the sole reason the Decepticons coud start their plot to begin with, we can assume Optimus would rather kill off the source of the madness that had happened.

Optimus does acknowledge that humans have their faults; that's why the Autobots were running missions in DOTM to sort out human conflicts. Now, when an Autobot betrays the group, teams up with Megs and tries to take over the Earth, that's stepping over the line.

The 200 guys are Megatron's crew. Megatron started the war in the first place. Don't start what you can't finish.

15. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bachelor's degree in English and writing (as of March 14 later this month). :D 

16. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    Did you see Ironhide's death by the Rust Cannon? I'm not arguing whether Sentinel should have been spared, if that's how you feel that's fine. But a quick headshot is a much better alternative to getting a massive hole blown through you and rotting, well, corroding, away in agonising pain.
    I actually would have liked to see the alternative ending though, if only it weren't so much money to animate it could've been a cool extra on the DVD/BluRay.

17. damian_1349

damian_1349 Wrecker

I have a feeling that despite everything said on this forum everyone including myself seems to have forgotten that this was a Michael Bay film...so whatever looks good with crazy action and explosions and giant robot violence is what we got.

18. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about option C? Being a robot who can have limbs totally replaced, you shoot the bastard's kneecaps out and have him imprisoned in a secure location. You have no fear of him breaking out, because all of his allies are already dead.

Again, Sentinel had to die in the movie, but there were about four different ways to go about it. Bay just took the quickest way out.

19. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

The face thing was a symbolic thing. All original Prime's had faces similar to the Fallen's so that face was like a mark of the Prime's. Seeing as the Fallen had completely abandoned the code and mission of the Prime's in order to complete his hate on for humanity (seriously, the energon was a bonus, he really only seemed to care most about humanity destroyed for some reason) Optimus removed it from him in a "You aren't worthy of the mark of the Prime's. Take that off" kind of way.

It just so happened that the mark was also the guys face.

20. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Ya know, a lot of people think that face ripping is uncivilized... but wouldn't it be a hoot if it turned out that the face rippers thought they were fine and considered the non-face-rippers to be just as whack as we think they are?

We would end up telling them not to judge!