"Optimus shouldn't have killed Megatron!"

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by thebruteslayer, Jul 29, 2011.

?

Should he have trusted him?

1. Yes (Sorry for all the war, murder and genocide, we be friends plz?)

87 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. No (Fatality!)

194 vote(s)
    69.0%
  1. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

I think many of you are assuming that by not killing Megatron, Prime would just shake his hand and let him go lol.

As a sentient civilisation, I'd imagine Cybertron would have some form of incarceration?

2. Militant

Militant Police

Umm half of it was kind of destroyed. And how would you expect megatron to comply? How would Prime "arrest" him, with one arm while being exausted from the battle? Megatron had the shotgun, Prime saw an opening and took it. It was the only way.

3. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Of course, he tore Jazz in two and threw his body parts from a skyscraper.
    If Optimus couldn't finish the job in ROTF, we was going to die in DOTM.

4. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    This is the correct response.

5. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

Lol, I think you're making the mistake many of you make by regarding what you saw on screen as 'real'.

The people who could have changed things for the better are the filmmakers, who could have made it so that Prime got the moral high ground on Megatron by showing mercy. Making Optimus a more humble and ultimately more respectable character.

As I said, I think thematically the film needed that. Megatron should have met his doom at the hands of Sentinel and vice versa, the ultimate fateful consequence of his 'deal with the devil.' In a cruel, Faustian twist of fate.

But then I would say that, I like good writing!

6. Soca Taliban

Soca Taliban Well-Known Member

Jail??? lol.......Megatron is a homicidal maniac who is bent on nothing but evil......its call judgment and Megatron was sentenced.

7. Militant

Militant Police

Having Prime not participate in the final battle is just a mistake.

8. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    And he's not paticipating how? Sentinel killing Megatorn would have been a lot cooler twist than what we got. Optimus only needed to pick up the shotgun form dead megatron.

Hell ANYTHING is better than what we got for the "final fight"

9. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

I didn't say he didn't have to participate in the final battle. I think it should have been a massive 3 way fight.

I just think the film would have worked better thematically and preserved Optimus's integrity had Megatron and Sentinel ultimately secured their own demise.

That's how a better writer would have done it, I'm sure.

10. Militant

Militant Police

Either way, Optimus would have to kill either Megatron or Sentinel depending on who killed each other first.

11. Transformers991

Transformers991 Some guy

Yeah I agree with you. If I were Optimus I would have done the same thing because: he killed Jazz, he killed Optimus, and bunch of other things.

12. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

I am curious though... sorry to side step off topic slightly, but how do those of you who preferred Bay's incarnation of Prime view Batman saving The Joker at the end of The Dark Knight?

I think it's a fair comparison, both Megatron and The Joker have committed equally heinous crimes?

13. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Batman being a pussy! DUH!

The ulta hard-code badass motherfucker that is Optimus would have ripped out his spine throgh his anus and than fed it to him. Yeah that's a much better ending.

14. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

Hahaha

I think I can sense the sarcasm!

But seriously, would you all have preferred a Batman who killed his enemies?

I wouldn't. And I actually don't think many of you would either, would you? ;) 

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:

Go back to Batman Begins... where he DIDN'T save Raaz.

What about that?

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Being right wing has nothing to do with it;
    having common sense and a realistic outlook on life and society does.

Watch the politics BTW.

17. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

That's a very good point.

But still, he didn't kill him.

Or rip his spine out ha ha.

I think that would have been a great ending actually - have Sentinel in a position where he needed Prime's aid but have Prime instead choose not to save him. That's very different from personally murdering him while he's down on the ground, er, wounded!

18. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    It's a movie about an invasion of giant robots that turn into cars and fart parachutes!

FUCK REALITY!

19. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    People have to think of the posibilities.

Megatron is obviously defeated, and in terrible shape. We see how beat up he is. So Optimus should've done the novel thing and spared him. That's the true definition of a hero. Sure, kill all the others, but sparing the one you hated the most is an honorable thing to do. Because we saw how Megatron was like an old man in the film. Would you want to see an old man be brutaly murdered?

But no. Most Bay fans go: "Yeah! Kill him Optimus!!!!11!! I want to see the spinal cord get ripped out!!!11. Yeah!!! Take his face!!!11!!"

20. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, here's my opinion: like I said before, I'm not against the killing, just the way it is portrayed. It's in the subtle things that apparently, most of the kids who deem all the movie violence 'awesommeeee!!' don't even think about.

1. Demolishor is talking about 'this is not the Autobot's planet to rule' and that 'The Fallen shall rise again'. Of course, the Autobots are not out to rule Earth at all, but wouldn't it be Optimus' way of calling a Decepticon out on that? Oh, and since nobody knows who The Fallen is, Optimus could actually try to ask some questions about him, even if Demolishor is not going to answer. Instead, he just cuts it all short with a 'not today' and shoots the bot.
    That's cold, even for Optimus, who in movie 1 was still portrayed as the guy who was fighting, but didn't actually like it. Not saying Prime should be a soft puss, but this was definitely a 'wtf' moment for me.

2. The camera angle. I've said this during ROTF's run in the theater, and not alot of people cared about it - but that's ok - because as snobbish as it might sound, I no longer expect people to give a damn about movie rules and the way things work subconsciously. Nor do I believe Bay really masters them.

What was wrong with this scene was how it was 'filmed' from Demolishor's point of view - from the ground. Prime and Ironhide were standing over him (/you), and you actually get to see Prime aim the gun at the camera right before the shot is fired and you see Demolishor's head fragged.
    What's wrong with this is that this is a typical shot of a bad guy executing his victim. He's towering above you and aiming the gun at you, he's dominating, while you are submissive from the 'victim's point of view.

These two things combined made the scene awkward to me. We are supposed to know the Autobots are the good guys, while the Decepticons are the bad guys - but it gets a bit harder to believe when you see the 'good' guys' ripping off faces any chance they get while the 'bad' guys are seen holding prisoners.

I feel Bay, or whoever does storyboarding with him, could have handled this better. At least we wouldn't have threads like these, where people are genuinely questioning if Optimus should or should not have killed Megatron, because if handled better, it would be clear to us why he would do so. :) 
    I don't think we should apply the 80's cartoon rules on a more gritty, 'realistic' setting, where death is to be expected, but the one thing that I don't like about the Bay TF movies (or at least, movie 2 and 3) is the way killing and being as badass as possible is considered 'the heroic thing'. Ok, movie 3 gets a pass because the Cons really did go too far this time, but I really don't see why Prime would not go for the effective, fast 'clean' kill, other than a director who just wants to show something reaaaaally badass he can't do with humans, at expense of the characters he's using.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011