Optimus Prime's Gun

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Leadfoot, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I was looking at the picture of Optimus' gun on my desktop wallpaper, also as seen in the picture I've included in this post. I began to look past the obvious hugeness and coolness of the design and realized just how well imagined it is.

If you take a look at it, you see the components of a combustion device. A piston, a gasket, an exhaust vent... The movie designers imagined an advanced technology that is plausible given the mysterious and powerful energy sources which Transformers in the movieverse run on. Not only is it brilliantly imagined, it takes into consideration the advanced nature of the alien who possesses it.

Instead of giving Optimus a gun that requires an ignitable such as gunpowder plus cartridges or shells, they give him a gun that is part of him and uses a combustion mechanism powered by his own energy to achieve the necessary pressure to create the propulsion of his metallic rounds. He has no need for manufactured bullets, only hunks of metal that can be blasted utilizing the combustion chamber in his gun. It would also allow him to vary the velocity of the slugs completely at will! I mean, this is a cool idea.

I just had never studied it before. I wanted to give props to the concept artists who worked on this and other great ideas - say what you want about the Bayverse, but these guys are not part of the problems with it.

Attached Files:

2. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the first movie when Optimus is fighting Megatron on the street you can clearly see the gun on his back before he pulls it down to shoot Megs. Personally I don't like guns that transform from hands especially on autobots ( aren't they supposed to be peaceful). I like when a transformer can be disarmed without having to cut his arm off.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I really like that about Prime's guns. You even see him use both 'settings' in ROTF before the forest battle. This kind of detail is put all over almost every movie robot. The animators really went above and beyond.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that his guns might be formed from the gas tanks maybe. Though there are definitely pieces from other various engine parts incorporated into the design as well, and I agree with the genius that was used to create such a weapon.

5. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Peaceful to those who are much more primitive to their kind, which is why Bumblebee didn't fight back in the first movie during his capture.

I think that the weapons are actually "integrated" into their body, like the weapon itself is compatible with the Transformer as if it were an extra organ.

6. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

The gun is indeed formed by his alt-mode's fuel tanks.

7. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

Yea, it is very well detailed indeed. I also like how it's not part of him, but a separate piece.

8. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    They're designed to be, but sadly the animators forgot that in both(?) movies. It's especially obvious in RotF when he pulls them out, uses them, turns around and shows that he still has the tanks.

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe they are just stored in the tanks??

10. jle1076

jle1076 Well-Known Member

the fuel canisters on Primes back turn into the gun

11. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The gun is made out of the fuel canisters and some other parts from his back, which therefore indicated that this is a removable, but functioning part of Prime's body nonetheless.

12. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

it is amazing what they come up with thought. i can't wait for tf3 when prime has his trailer.:drool: 

13. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    The level of detail and work the designers put into the robots is amazing. Sometimes I feel like that doesn't translate as well as it should onscreen.