Optimus Prime too Weak?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Karmic Buddha, Mar 15, 2008.

1. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

QFT.

One of the things I hated about the movie although I loved it overall. Even worse was after watching OP thrash Bonecrusher I was like HELL YEAH, IT'S ON with OP and Megatron then ohhh crap Megs is throwing him around like a bitch...this kinda sucks.

For poster above Optimus had no choice in them taking the cube there, it was the humans decision to take it there Optimus was driving with the rest of the Autobots. Plus, it would have made for a crappy fight is they just drove out in the desert.

My thing is why do all the devices who are brought alive by the spark evil? I know that is off topic but wtf?

2. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

My theory always was there more confused, think about it when they are brought to life Bumblebees gone legless, Jazz is dead, Prime wasnt there, and Ironhide and Ratchet had just went down after Starscreams hit and run, and thus they were just copying what the other bots (the decepticons) were doing.

3. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Thats the largest stretch i have heard, no offense really meant but the time frame doesnt match that theory well. Lets face it honestly the direction of the movie just makes everything the cube touches as evil or to be feared. This is just Bay trying to make the movie cool instead of believable or good. The Soda machine didnt seem to confused when it was pelting people with soda cans.
    The Prime in the movie isnt even close to the Prime we are used to in any continuity. Never mind used to, thats not the Prime anyone even wanted character wise. The only lines close to Prime were "right of all sentient beings" and "IH we dont harm humans"

4. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay Megatron is bigger than Bay Prime. So Bay Prime is supposed to be weaker in a straight up fight. Bay's versions are definitely not the G1 versions.

In TF, In G1 Prime and Megatron are equals. In every other era, Megatron was either larger (BW, BM, Bay, Animated) or ridiculously overpowered (RID, Armada, Cybertron, Energon)

G1 Prime and Megs were equals in power, but not firepower. Megatron was always superior to Prime with that. Megs just cheated alot. Everytime he fought Prime straight up with no advantages, he got owned.

MTMTE, The Dam shook from Starscream blowing up a turbine and Megs took advantage.

Heavy Metal War, Megs cheats.

The Ultimate Doom, Prime was winning until he saw Cybertron coming into Earth's gravitational pull.

TFTM, Prime won that fight with Megatron, even when Megatron cheated, Prime came back and defeated him.

There are more examples, but I can't remember them.

5. ian5555

I dunno about that, look at the room the had where they would use the all-spark power to bring stuff to life. Didn't look like anything came alive and was like "hey, everyone how are you?", they just started ripping the room apart.

i think the only reason ONLY reason they made Optimus weak compared to Megatron was to give the humans something to do and for a crappy Hollywood twist. I'd rather Megatron get trashed by Optimus then get beat by some human. Embarrasment to the Decpeticon race :p 

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, Prime was too weak. And yes, it wasn't done to better the story. There was an interview with someone behind the movie who came out and said that he thought "it would be more exciting and climactic if Sam stepped up and saved the day" rather then the original which actually had a good fight between the two, so it was changed. That was the reason he stated, or something along those lines. I'm guessing it was for making Shia even more the star and to save on budget.

7. buickanddeere

buickanddeere Well-Known Member

I would have preferred that Prime could have been in a similar class as Megs or Starscream. The fight should have been close to even but instead it took numerous missile hits to soften up Megs. Prime just laid there all beat up and helpless and could only trip Megs. Some hero.
    About the only one with more potential but couldn't even beat Mrs Olson from Little House on the Prairie was Ultramagnus.
    Pound for pound Jazz or Rachet were better fighters than Prime.
    In the movie Prime couldn't take a hit, shoot as powerfully or physically fight as hard as Megs. Prime was only able to handle flunkies like Bonecrusher.
    Prime's shot to Megs just deflected off and made Megs take a step backwards. One shot to Prime from Megs sent him flying three city blocks and well into a building.
    For something as important as the AllSpark. Prime would/should have been fighting with all he had.

8. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    I like it the way the movie portrayed him. I wouldn't change anything.

9. BHB

BHB Well-Known Member

I like Megatron being more powerful as in the movie and animate. Makes you want to root for the autobots more and makes Megs totally awesome.

10. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Yep. This.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know if it was so much evil as perhaps just insane. Then again we were never really told how Megatron's plan was going to work to get these machines working for him instead of attacking everything in sight, so maybe Megatron knew what it took to calm the new bots down.

Would have been nice if we had more of Dew Bot to find out if the new robots actually had personalities, but I guess when they were up against a budget something had to give.

12. Lithium1989

Lithium1989 Optimus Prime's lover

I agree. But I'd still root for the Autobots no matter what anyway. :) 

13. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Its amazing he was the leader when you think about it. Even more amazing was the fact he still survives to this day considering he got owned so badly by megatron. Seriously the movie is flawed in the way it percieves the autobots and decepticons so drastically. If the decepticons are that much more bad ass ( laughs at term) they would have wiped out prime at least during the million years of war.

I cant help but feel when the ending was changed to the movie that it was almost a snub to fans.

Cause why in the world would take the main Hero out of the equation and the only role he has of any weight and make it about SAM. Friggin rediculous rewrite.

14. Kortex

Kortex Well-Known Member

Come on.... Prime destroyed Bonecrusher in a minute like he was nothing... He got his ass whooped by Megatron but Megatron is bigger and nastier....

15. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know...You'd think Megatron would have killed Prime earlier. If Bay Prime can't beat Bay Megatron one on one, how did he live up to this point? He got lucky each time? Or maybe he surrounded himself with other strong Autobots? Did Prime just escape each encounter?

Perhaps the movie is the opposite of the cartoon..instead of Megatron retreating all the time, maybe it's Prime who was losing. Orci never did make it clear who was winning the war.

Really? Originally Prime had beaten Megatron himself?

It would have been much better if Prime and Megatron were equals, with a Prime who could beat Megatron one on one, but Megatron just cheated and took advantage of a defenseless human. "The Allspark, Prime. Or this fleshling's existence is terminated!"

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think you just have to take it as how movies get made. Would be no fun if Rocky just floored the Russian so they had to build the Russian up as big bad and unbeatable to make Rocky the big hero.

Or with movie logic I'm often reminded of the Austin Power series where Scotty Evil says to just pop a cap in Powers and be done with it. Movies always find a way to draw out the story instead of a logical blam and it's done.

Although you do sort of have to wonder just how the war could have gone on for so long when the robots were so weak. I mean darn Bonecrusher was owned in no time flat, Blackout folded like a total jobber taking on the heavy weight champ, and all it takes is a little ice to take out even the mighty Megatron. Just seems like the war never should have lasted as long as it did when it takes almost nothing to kill or take out bots with so few hits. Something like a freeze gun and Prime could have ended the war eons ago.

17. ian5555

Size has nothing to do with strength or power in the Transformers universe. Brawn (G1) rings a bell and Frenzy (g1) is one of the most powerful and look how small he is?

Not sure how it is in the movie with regards to size but I don't like seeing OP thrown around like a ragdoll in either the movie or TFA. Just my personal preference. I like the leaders being pretty much equals. Having Megatron be that much stronger in both means the Autobots basically win out of luck which is Hollywood silliness.

Thank God Megatron slipped on that banana, we'd never have defeated him if not!!!

18. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We got screwed by Bay. He turned an awesome storyline into a good but not great movie.

1) Prime didn't come off as the ultimate leader. When Prime was telling Sam to hurry and find the glasses it was more whining then urgent.
    2) Prime should have sent someone after bumblebee's capture to keep tabs on S7. Jazz, Arcee, a mini-teletran-1, something!
    3) Even if I buy the he was trying to avoid collateral damage argument, that wasn't executed well in the movie.
    4) Jazz was killed WAY too easily. How'd did numero two survive the war this long? It wasn't a heroic death for Jazz and if the scene's purpose was to show how badass Megatron I didn't see it.
    5) Starscream got shafted. No screen time at all. And no personality. It should have been an equal fight between Prime and Megs until Starscream sprays them with missiles and Prime takes a hit saving Sam in which case the fight turns towards Meg's favor.

Lastly, a lot of people say "if you watch close. . .this makes more sense." It's common nowadays but it's just bad directing. Little things that we don't notice the first time should enhance the movie, not make or break it.

19. Orion Paximus Prime

Orion Paximus Prime Banned

ya you guys have to take things like "suspense" and "dramatic licensing" into account here. There would have been no build up to the ending if everyone knew that Prime was just going to roll in, kick megatron in the gnads, and call it a day.

20. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Megatron slipped on a human banana! LOL!

I think an earlier idea in the original script was that Prime and Megs would fight to a stalemate, neither been able to defeat the other. But then Sam with the Allspark would give the Autobots the advantage. If you've read the movie comic adaptation then i think that gives you an idea of the way the first script would've portrayed Prime and Megs' fight. The reason they changed this initial idea i think was coz they were leaning more toward a human-angle and thought it would be more dramatic to portray Sam stepping up as the hero at the end.

I think most of us though think this change in the how the final battle ended was probably the biggest mistake of the movie. The original idea of Prime and Megs fighting to a stand-off would've been more satisfactory and believable for two warring leaders, Optimus wouldn't have been shafted as the weaker fighter, plus Sam would still have been pretty heroic to give Prime the little extra edge he needed to defeat Megs.

I too think it was a bit out of character for Prime to just allow BB to be taken away without somehow keeping a watch on him. And i actually think that 5th point of yours about SS interfering in Prime and Megs' final fight and damaging Prime in Megatron's favour would've been a good way to both display some of SS's treacherous character and put Prime in a more acceptable weaker position.