Optimus Prime Re-Imagined

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by konrathink, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

Anyone else getting tired of the same old Optimus? I love how Megatron has been re-imagined whether it be a helicopter for Animated or a new War For Cybertron Megs. A tank or a plane for the movies. Even a semi with trailer for the new one. He looks different each time and has a slightly different color scheme each time. I'll grab each figure they come out with.

Yet, Optimus remains the same. Same red and blue. Same semi looking vehicle. G1, Animated, Movie, even the WFC one is somwhat the same. I'd just like something new. It doesn't have to be extreme. Hell, I'll settle for a color change. Let's mix it up a little so each figure on the shelf doesn't look the same.

Anyone with me on this?

2. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    No. I think it's a great design, and let's face it: Prime sells the way he is.

3. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Had Megatron not originally been a gun in G1, he may have had the same fate.

-Silvershot

4. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm assuming you own Alternity Convoy...

:p 

(although there was a lot of love for a great toy, I do remember some people being bothered by the variation)

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I think Megatron kinda had to be redesigned since, frankly, turning into a gun was pretty stupid to begin with.

6. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

If you don't care about the beast figures you should revisit Fire Convoy from RID.

7. AMG

AMG Old School

No I'm not tired of his looks. Optimus Prime is iconic, the legendary face of Transformers. You mess with his looks too much and you lose that image.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Mega Man, Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, Brett Favre...

All of them are iconic characters who have only ever had minor changes and tweaks to their look since their inception. And that's part of what makes them so iconic, an easily identifiable design that automatically triggers in your mind who they are.

Sure, you could make the argument each of those characters above having different looks at one point or another. But they always went back to a rough similarity to their original design. And that applies just as much for Optimus Prime, he was a gorilla for a short period of time. Still went back to approximate the original.

9. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty safe bet that Optimus Prime is gonna turn into some flavor of truck in any chosen continuity. While I'm not exactly "tired" of it, I would like to see it get changed up to keep it fresh. If you eat chocolate ice cream forever, it's gonna get boring. But if you eat some strawberry once in a while, the chocolate will stay enjoyable. I say do something radical, like make him a jet.

Actually, I was gonna attempt a custom figure by turning an Iron Man 2 crossover jet into Optimus Prime. I just need to get some paint. And the right head for the body. *Obligatory joke about faces and the forceful request for their acquisition*

I would agree with this. Though it does seem like either "tank" or "some form of aircraft" is becoming Megatron's modern alt-mode. Look at the last 5 alt-modes that he's had:

Prime: alien jet.
    WFC: tank.
    ROTF: tank (with flight capabilities).
    Animated: helicopter.
    TF07: alien jet.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm with the OP. I'm sick to death of Optimus. If I can't get a brand new, interesting leader with good characterization a new design would suffice.

11. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I think the most important thing for Prime is the colors. The red and blue are what matter not necesarily the alt mode. I do not have any issue with him having similar alt modes in all of his incarnations.

12. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    I kinda like his Alternators Pick-up Truck Form.

He was going to be a monster truck at one point during Armada's planing. So he has been several different Semi Trucks, Fire Trucks, Pick-up Trucks, and recently a car. If you think about it, with exception to BW/BM, all legacy Transformers have been reinterpretations of there previous forms. Also there vehicle mode selections are based on character personalties of each interpretation. Optimus is a strong reliable character and people can associate strength and reliability from Trucks.

13. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

primal. Primal! PRIMAL!!! PRIMAL!!!!. Maybe they don't want to associate Prime with a different vehicle, cause lets face it what wheeled vehicle is bigger then a truck, he could work as a tank, but maybe they dont want to associate him with a tank, mainly (cause in my mind at least) a tank prime would have to be some level of jerk or hard ass. Then his colors, red and blue, they dont work on every thing like Megatron silver or Galvatron purple.

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    If you're bored with Optimus being Optimus, there's plenty of other characters in the transformer universe.

But you don't sell out that kind of public recognition just because a few fans get a little tired with their steady diet of transformers.

Pretty much.

15. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

::cough:: G.I.Joe ::Cough:: Hiss Tank ::cough:: yah I wish he'd stop being a Semi! Besides Primal and Prime are not the same character (name sake yes, same individual no)
    I mean can't we come up with something new.. ::Cough:: Firetruck (RID) ::cough:: damn cold!

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Dude, did you read comics in the 80's, 90's or 2000's??

Spiderman in the 80's.
    [​IMG]

Batman in the 90's
    [​IMG]

Superman in the 90's
    [​IMG]

Spiderman a few years back
    [​IMG]

true enough, they all return to the old, but these are drastic changes.

17. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

Brett Favre?

18. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

I think what they were referring to was Superman will always have a big S on his chest, Spiderman will always have a giant spider on his chest, and Batman will always be Bat themed, yes their outfits change but their general theme persists.

19. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Last time that happened it sparked the "Truck not Monkey" debate, I doubt it's gonna happen

20. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Since we cant have another Primal moment and drop Prime, I think a rescue plane/copter would be cool. It would be a twist to have a flying Prime full time in a series without tech support.

Plus a truck gets so old, I'm so glad Megatron was a gun in G1. Atleast he is made to change as time goes on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.