Optimus Prime Question..............

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Sound Blaster, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

I love animated BUT I have one pet peeve about the show.

Why is Optimus Prime so much smaller than Megatron???

All of the animated toys have him in scale to Megatron and all of the other incarnations have them the same size why the hell is he such a shrimp in this series?

:wtf: 

2. Autobot_Lancer

Autobot_Lancer Just call it Smokescreen

I've wondered that my self. It is kinda odd seeing this tiny little optimus next to megs.

3. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Because all autobots are small except for bulkhead who seems to be of decepticon size, though still small.

4. Cujo

Cujo United States Air Force

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    cause in other series optimus and megatron were equal ranks.... now that he isn't the "leader" in animated he was made smaller to show how inferior he was compared to megatron

5. Jetcols

Jetcols Elite Guard

News Credits:
    Its because Megatron is the fishizzle in Animated

6. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Because the 'cons are Just. That. Awesome. :D 

The reason given for the size difference is the writers, etc, wanted to make the 'cons a much more credible threat than they have been in any other series. But it would be nice to have an in-story reason, since they're all Cybertronians.

Personally, I like the 'cons being able to just toss the 'bots around...it makes the 'bots have to fight smarter, and those are always more interesting conflicts. Where's the need for creativity in just standing there and shooting?

Plus...its just plain funny! :lol 

--Moony

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Simple:

Megatron is a Decepticon.

Optimus Prime is an Autobot.

Decepticons are always so much taller than normal Autobots. Magnus is the tallest Autobot not counting Omega we've seen thus far, and he's just barely Starscream's height.

8. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Yea is seems like the writer's wanted to make them out to be more but in my heart of hearts if/when Optimus became leader we would get an upgrade to make him a little bit bigger...:lol 

9. Autobot_Lancer

Autobot_Lancer Just call it Smokescreen

Never looked at it that way. thanks

10. Sapphire-Light

Sapphire-Light Red sports car

News Credits:
    RID Megatron was also more bigger than Optimus. :dj 

11. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Pretty much, Animated Optimus can't hold a match against most of the other Optimus Primes.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fire truck cabs are usually smaller than allspark powered helicopters.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Decepticons are war machines, built for maximum destruction.

Autobots are the peaceful side of things, even the ones designed for fighting still retain some of the civilian aspects who generally are smaller.

Personally, I love the David VS Goliath archetype, because it emphasises how much of a threat a Decepticon is and how much defeating them relies on the Autobots' skill and teamwork.

14. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I disagree. Animated Optimus could put up a really good fight.

G1 has lot of skill...and a blaster.

Animated has a fair bit of skill, an axe that can cut through almost anything, 2 grapplers, a foam shooter and a water shooter.

Out of sheer skill I think G1 would win but Animated has a lot more options.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

Actually you're asking the wrong question.

Using humans and vehicles as reference points, as well as series scale charts, Animated Optimus is about the same size as G1 Prime. So the question should be, "Why are the Decepticons so Gigantic?" You say all of the Animated Toys have them the same size? What toys are those? There is no Leader Prime, and really it's Deluxe Prime who's in proper scale to Megatron. Voyager Prime is scaled for the larger scaled Autobots, not for any of the Decepticons.

In at least partial answer to your question, in a universe without absurdist size changing (I'm not saying size changing is wrong or absurd, but that instead accepting that without drastic superscience or magic nothing in the universe actually changes size so drastically) the Decepticons would be huge against the Autobots. A fighter jet has a lot more mass then a tractor trailer or a Lamborghini, a lot more. Without size changing downwards in G1 to robot mode, the fact that G1 Starscream was around the same size as the Autobot cars in robot mode is laughable without him also being a comically small jet. About a billion years ago back on ATT, one of the users actually got the real dimensions of most of the G1 cast, and measured out the toys to arrive at a "real" robot size assuming zero mass shifting, and in the end, the Autobots should've been nearly minicon sized against the Decepticon Seekers.

In a more artistic and aesthetic sense, as already mentioned, it's hardly a compelling story if the Autobots have all the advantages, and the further disadvantaged they are, generally the stronger the story has to be. Great stories tend to be about unliklely or least likely heroes. Frodo, Luke, etc.

From a "history" standpoint, just like our society where are war machines are far larger then our commercial machines, that Decepticons would be much larger then their Autobot bretheren.

As for the qualities of Animated Prime. He may not carry a gun, but he's hardly at some great disadvantage, outside of of the '86 movie no transformer was ever that great of a shot, or much a killer with a gun. Animated Optimus has a lot of options and nonlethal weapons to take down a foe, and a weapon that could be used to lethal ends if necessary. If one counts Powermaster Prime, then he's also the only Optimus Prime never to rely on a "magic mushroom" trailer or comrade to power up to fight his foes.

16. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it's like this to make it seem impossible for O.Prime to beat Megatron. That way, when it does happen, It will be awe inspiring.