Minor/Repaint: Optimus Prime Protoform (Red and Blue)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Rogzilla, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, here is my second figure attempt. This time, I thought I would take a swing at the first movie's Protoform Prime. Inspired by Jin's classic colors and less is more concepts, I applied several thin coats to many parts of both the comet and robot mode. I picked up a bunch of new Model Masters Testors paints, which are much better than the Testors I picked up from Fred Meyers. I did several washes and dry brushing, making me feel good at these techniques. Not perfect, but good.

[​IMG]

I will point out right now one area where I did completely screw up. The head. In particular, the eye. I over worked the hell out of it, now the paint is too think, thus loosing detail, and the eyes are essays in FAILURE! [​IMG]I am decided to leave it alone for a while until I am confident enough to pick it back up, clean it off and try again. The rest of this, however, I am extremely proud of. I like my rust and dirt, making it look as though this has been traveling for a while and seen a couple too many planet falls.

[​IMG]

Feed back is welcome and loved!

Attached Files:

2. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Looks great!

3. OPMEGS1.0

OPMEGS1.0 I Dislike Hotshot's jam!

Ebay:
    Great!

...where's the flames? (lol)

4. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    It does look very nice. :) 

Great work with the color scheme and painting in those details (including some paint scuffs and weathering). Some of the detail paint apps need a little cleaning up, though (at least from what I can see) such as those on his yellow 'headlights' in comet mode.

All in all it's a very good piece. Keep up the good work. :thumb 

5. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Thanks man! Yours looks better! ;-)

The only flames this guy is getting is from burning upon rentry.

Mampy, thank you for the great comments and encouragement. It means a lot to have one of the guys I have been looking at for inspiration comment on my work!

I do need to get better at brush control, though I don't know if I need either a-smaller/thinner brushes, b-a steadier hand, c-better quality brushes or d-all of the above! My hope is to, as I get better, come back to these first couple I did and redo/fix them as needed.

6. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Random question. If I was going to try to redo the head, what is the best way to get the acrylic paint off? Would nail polish remover work? I mean, acetone can pick up Sharpie so I would imagine that it would would on this...but would it be like using a nuke to kill an ant?

EDIT-OK, so I did some reading and acetone seems to be bad. My wife does have some acetone free nail polish remover though. I might give that a look to see if it has any alcohol in it. I may check our first aid kit too or, if all else fails, pop to the store and pick up some rubbing alcohol.

7. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it strangely looks like a movie verse galaxy force prime XD

8. mampy

News Credits:
    You're very much welcome, man. That's what the community is for. :) 

What brushes do you use? You'll (obviously) need a good point brush for the details. Sometimes I also find it useful not to thin the paint too much when doing small details - so that it doesn't go seeping into all the recesses like a wash.

Acetone is definitely a no-no, it can melt and warp the plastic. Alcohol would be a good bet, but will probably affect the surrounding areas too unless you find a way to be able to apply it and wipe it off small areas like the eyes. I would also recommend that you try scratching the paint off with a toothpick. I've had some success with that. :) 

9. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    I use a combination of brushes from my college days as an Art major and some new ones I picked up at a craft store while the wife and I were looking for birthday presents for her mom. The latter are not the nicest brushes (they came in a pack for less than $10) but they are very small point...though they do not seem to keep their point very well.

Any brand/size recommendations?

I am going to pick up some alcohol tonight. My plan is remove the head (it appears that I will be able to do this by removing the 3 small screws in the back). I will then clean and repaint, then replace on the body.

10. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Update! I have managed to clean off the head. Soaked and scrubbed it in some strong alcohol. So now we let it sit and I will prep it for repainting. I am going to keep the head disconnected from the rest of the body until I finish painting, incase I need to fix it again.

11. mampy

News Credits:
    Oh okay. For small details I use a Tamiya point brush and some cheap, un-branded point brush that I cut off half of the hairs from. :) 

12. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Excellent. I am going to be picking up more paints at the hobby store this weekend, so I am gonna pick up some point brushes. Next, I am gonna have to figure out how to do a cool glowing effect.