2D Artwork: Optimus Prime Practice Pic

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by gdpwatson, Dec 13, 2007.

1. gdpwatson

gdpwatson Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Well we all have to start somewhere. When i was alot younger i really enjoyed drawing. When you get engrossed you get into a kind of zone where you're happy and want to just keep on drawing!!

Well i've finally decided after years and years of false starts at getting back into drawing that i am finally going to dedicate large portions of my free time to getting back into my former hobby.

As a warm up attempt I dusted off a sketch i did of War Within Prime (from Don's cover), i finished it off and inked it. The inking was done using technical pens (available from your local art store) and is the first time i've ever attempted to ink something. I guess this is the first area that needs addressed.

I decided to go free hand on the inking rather than use the computer or ruled edges. As you can tell this much is obvious. The lines lack control and in some places look awful (actually in a lot of places) so my question in relation to this is as follows, do you TF artists in general go free hand on your work or do you use some aids such as ruled edges? I'd like to accumulate as much info as i can from this image based on feedback from you guys and then apply it to the next drawing (which is based off a G.I. Joe/TF - The Art of War image featuring Bumblebee). So any and all advice will be greatly appreciated and put to good use!

Oh and don't judge the picture too harshly when comparing it to the original, i mean there's no way it was ever going to match that. Judge it on it's own merits please.

[​IMG]

2. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I think it looks pretty awesome, the hand-drawn lines don't detract from it at all, I can't even see all these wobbly ones you're on about...

3. gdpwatson

Hey man,

That's nice of you to say. But there are issues there, although i am telling myself that the hand drawn lines do give it a nice and messy raw effect unattainable through Photoshop... yup, that what i tell myself!!

4. -Barricade-

-Barricade- Forza Ferrari!

News Credits:
    Great work!

5. gdpwatson

Thanks dude, appreciate it.

6. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    whatever issues they are, they are minimal. I wish I had an ounce of your talent.

7. gdpwatson

Thanks very much. Maybe i'm being too hard on myself. They always say that you're your own worst critic.

I'll post the next one when i get finished and see what you guys think of that.

8. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Dude it looks great! And as an artist myself I can tell you "Yes, you are your worst critic!" I think that it's that perfectionism that probably makes your drawing come out so sweet! Keep up the good work I hope to see the next one soon.

9. gdpwatson

I think i have to agree with you on that one. i guess the day you do a picture and think to yourself "That's perfect in every possible way" that's the day you need a kick up the backside!

I hope to post another picture soon. It'll be a few days yet though but hopefully you guys will like it as much as you seem to like this one.

Another few months and hopefully i'll be drawing my own original TFs.