Optimus Prime Overrated?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I don't think he's overrated, as I was talking with people from work some were saying that Prime is overrated. Prime this Prime that, I mean seriously guys? Optimus Prime is the best leader the Autobots ever had, if it wasn't for him the Autobots would be scrap metals, they even constructed a statue of him on Cybertron. Even Rodimus was saying I would never be the leader you once where. What do you people think is the great Optimus Prime overrated?

2. AMG

AMG Old School

No.

But many others do.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I definitely do. I find him to be extremely boring, static and uninteresting. That's just my personal taste.

4. NeverDoubt

NeverDoubt Well-Known Member

I see where some people might think he's overexposed. But overrated? Definitely can't agree with that. :) 

5. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    I do NOT ever find the main attractions of properties to be over rated. Its like when I hear the superman is over rated nonsense. I tune that garbo out

6. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    He's overexposed, but not overrated.

7. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Optimus Prime is the greatest Transformers ever

8. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nope. He's my hero. Always will be.

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    What he said. One day, in a style similar to but not Beast Wars, there shuld just be a show featuring old man Prime in the style of Tron Uprising or Batman Beyond where he becomes the mentor to the next hero and frequently appears.

10. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

I certainly don't.

11. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

Optimus Prime will never be over rated. He'll always be a hero and a hero to me[espically when he bought me back on line]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  12. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Depends on the version of Optimus Prime. G1 Prime was a fantastic father-figure and leader, but a foolish tactician and stupid warrior (then again, it IS a kids' cartoon). Take away the nostalgia, and I could see the case for calling him over rated.

Transformers: Animated, my favorite Prime, doesn't get enough credit, IMHO. He's got strategy, compassion, and also willing to go gung-ho when needed against the best version of Megatron to this day.

Transformers: Prime version of Prime is inconsistent, which may frustrate viewers. For a show called "Prime" he's received very little character development so far in the series.

Movie Prime is the most overrated. He demonstrates zero of the father-figure aspect of the character, very little compassion, but he's definitely the best fighter of the versions of Prime... he relishes the violence, to the point he's become a brutal murderer.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yep. We're saturated with Prime and Bumblebee to the point to where we take both characters for granted.

14. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the problem with the Optimus-as-supreme-leader of the Autobots (so not counting Animated) is that its a very difficult character to write well. I don't think most writers have done a good job with him, so he comes off as either incompetent or boring.

15. Stonecrusher

Stonecrusher jerk to storytelling

News Credits:
    Depends on WHICH Optimus Prime we're talking about.

G1 Cartoon: 2-Dimensional Fatherly Figure, but still loved.

G1 Marvel: A TINY bit angsty, but not too annoying...

Unicron Trilogy: More human then most

Movie: Well, certainly more of an action star then much else...

Animated: Young, has limits, more of a character, not a bad change.

Prime: ...Is his voice box stuck on "Big Speech Mode" or something?

TFW2005 Comics: Either one of the above, or an amusing jerk-aft.

Primal: Most Human of them all... until you get to Beast Machines. Then he becomes a little TOO nature-oriented.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I do find the G1 cartoon Optimus kinda bland and cardboardy. He's like your basic dull leader character who has all the required leader qualities and not much else when it comes to personality apart from a few standout dots of fun or life here and there. Maybe it's so kids can take him and use him to command their toys using that basic leader template to build on.

The Marvel comics Optimus was perhaps a little more troubled, but he did still fall into the same thing of being a leader template too.

Beast Wars and Beast Machines Optimus did have other qualities beyond just 'leader guy' but that was still his main 'thing'.

RID and the A/E/C shows went blandest of all with the leader template and to me and the Optimuses in those are almost just lifeless order-giving machines.

Animated did a fairly good job of giving Optimus a bit more of a personality. Maybe it was because although he was 'leader guy' he still had to answer to others above him. He also had friends. Ultra Magnus kinda became the 'leader guy' in that show and filled the bland role.

TF: Prime, for me at least, has taken a step back into bland carboard land with regards to Optimus.

BayFormers Optimus is the general leader template again, but with added face-ripping and big hero speech moments.

17. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ^
    Truth right there.

18. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Depends on the Optimus.
    G1 is a hero and a Father figure for all us children of full time parents in the 80s

Primal saved the freaking universe time and again

RID Prime just knew what needed to be done.

Unicron-Trilogy prime......now you've got an issue, that prime lost me when Omega-Supreme had to tell him to stop moping.

Movie-verse is a Psychotic killer

Animated...now we're back to Great Primes, this was a whole diffrent Prime that we watched growing into the great leader.

Prime Prime......yeah, he's dull and uninteresting. I wish Peter Cullen would thrown a fit in the studio and say "Gimme some MEAT!" they did it briefly when he was Orion Pax....but not much else.

19. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    This!

20. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 Optimus will always make me happy with the nostalgia effect, Animated Optimus is the most interesting out of all of the Primes and Bayformer Prime is the funniest.