Optimus Prime KO boxes

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by mattbot, Jul 30, 2007.

1. mattbot

mattbot Member

Hi I posted this in Toyark before I realised it this was here.

Alright here's a curly question for all of you TF experts out there. There is a guide to buying G1 Optimus Prime toys on eBay that claims that G1 original OP boxes should always have BLACK lettering on the back at the bottom where it says;

(c) 1984 Hasbro Bradley Inc etc

or

(c) 1984 Hasbro Industries Inc etc

Here is the link to the guide;

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-spot-...00000002127051

I am wondering what truth there is to this and whether anyone can shed any light on this. I would say that 99% of the OP's I have seen on eBay claiming to be originals have WHITE printing.

If this is true, that the printing is supposed to be BLACK, then it would suggest that 99% of the OP's on eBay are KO/counterfeit.

Please Help!:confused: 

Cher

Matt.

2. Mega-Zarak

Mega-Zarak Well-Known Member

Thar's a poor review, 3 out of 4 tips are false.
    1- I think the lettering should be white, not black
    2- There are versions without Japanese writing and without a "T". What's this stamping on Optimus inner leg? What is he talking about?...I think the cab doesn't have stampings.
    4- I've seen factory G1 transformers with tapes as new.

3. mattbot

mattbot Member

I've had a look at his feedback and he doesn't appear to have ever purchased an OP. I'm wondering if he is just trying to throw people off track so he can get good deals for himself.

4. mattbot

mattbot Member

The reason I posted this is that an OP with apparently black printing on the back (scroll down to Q & A) sold for $430 yesterday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130136798187&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:PIC&ih=003

I have only ever seen one other OP with black print on the back. I'm wondering if this guide is the reason many OP's have been going for less over the past few days/weeks etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190134470763&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Anyway I am now somewhat reassured that my OP's are the real mccoy.

5. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    That review is completely off. I'm almost sure this is a counter fitter trying to pass his goods as real. Anyways ...

fake - not all stickers are applied (missing silver cab stripe)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fake - the grey border extends around the entire window
    [​IMG]

fake - factory crease running along the top flap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fake - "Made In France". The only Prime carrying that tag has red feet.
    [​IMG]

real - the grey border does not run around the entire window.
    [​IMG]

also note the positioning on the "FORMERS" on both flaps.

6. Mega-Zarak

Mega-Zarak Well-Known Member

Ok, I think I know what the seller is talking about.
    You see before Hasbro merged with Milton Bradley the stampings on early versions was Hasbro industries... after they put a black square probably to hide the"industries" and the trade mark Bradley was added.

7. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    The bottom line is, just look for the thick gray border. There are lots of differences, but the gray border is a clear give-away. No real Optimuses ever had a gray border above the cab, except for some Euro Optimuses, but the ones on the Euro Optimuses are not nearly as thick.

Also, e3nine, that last Optimus you listed is the 1989 licensed China release. The black boxes around the toy pictures and the high window cut are the giveaways.